Refused epidurals! Panic stations. . .

I'm in fife. I think there are a lot of valid points there. I guess I just want the security blanket of knowing I can have one if necessary and these locals state wasn't even an option. It's like saying yeah u have a local dentist but he may not have any novocaine in stock at the time of ur appt LOl xx

where in Fife? Can you try another unit? I can choose where you give birth

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous to just flat out say oh you can't have one if you need/want one? I'm guessing if you throw enough of a hissy you will be able to wade through the BS and get the care that YOU want. I think it's absolute crap that you're expected to wade through red tape and BS to have the birth you want to have.

And for people here to say " Oh its what your body is made for you don't need one it's natural" is incredibly rude, how about when it's your body, YOU make the choices and when it's not, you give the other person enough to respect what is right for THEM. Personally I think if MY care has to suffer so that they can afford to properly staff their hospital, maybe something about the system needs to change.

I think it's also becuase once you've had an epidural you are obviously confined to bed but also have to be much more closely monitored by the medical team.

I have to say with my last pregnancy I was adamant at first that I wanted an epidural no question but actually when I went to ante-natal classes etc and learned a bit more about what was involved and the negative effects it can have on your labour I changed my mind and decided I would try to go without one and I did manage it although my labour was only 4 hours. I can imagine if you have a long labour the need for an epidural would be much greater.

With epidurals its not always a case of wanting one. A lot of women have them because they need them. If there isn't the provision / availibilty of anaethetist to put them in then the women who need them should be getting them first. Wanting an epidural because you aren't coping with the pain is very different from needing an epidural because you have a complicated labour and a crash C-Section is a real possiblity.

I had an epidural with my daughter, not for pain relief, but because her heart trace was worrying. At one point during the labour it dropped dramatically and I was nearly rushed round to theatre, and later I did end up with a C-Section. Could you imagine if I had needed to have a general anesthetic because I had to wait for the epidural because the anesthetist was busy putting an epidural in someone who was having a normal labour but wanted it for pain relief?

I think what I'm trying to say is that when there is limited resources, or even when they are just busy then they will prioritise who gets the care first, including epidurals. If you have 2 anesthetist on call and 2 high risk women wanting epidurals and 2 low risk women wanting epidurals and 1 needing an emergency section then 1 anethetist is gonna be in theatre with the women having the section and the other will be doing the epidurals on the 2 high risk women first. By the time one of them is finished there could be another woman needing a section, or another emergency come in, or the low risk women could just be cracking on in labour and be getting ready to push.

Epidurals cost a lot of time and money, and they can lead to complications so I'm not surprised hospitals are reluctant. Even if you dont progress too fast to have one there is the chance that the anethatist could just be too busy to get to you in time, you have to prepare yourself for the possibility you might not get one even if the midwife tries to get you one. You have no idea how well you will do in labour yet, keep an open mind. You might be brilliant and think its not actually that bad! Believe in your body and believe in yourself and you might be pleasantly surprised :) xx

I think in the US it is pretty standard for women to get an epidural if wanted.... My sister had one and she got up and showered immediately after she gave birth... Everyone is affected differently by epidural....

I personally want to try and have as little intervention as possible, but if it it is too intense for me I will ask for one.... I think it should be an option for women, just my thoughts! If your in too much pain to push you will have problems too!

It's not good to be laid up for any period of time particularly in the immediate postnatal period. Thrombosis is the most common cause of maternal death in this country. You really need to be up and about as soon as possible. And that's speaking as a Mum whose insides were literally hanging out and i was torn beyond belief, standing was painful as the blood throbbed on my bits, but i'd rather that than be paralysed and risk my life.

if the postnatal bit was because of what i said: they are actually mobile epidurals and patient administered too. i was gobsmacked when i found this out yesterday. imagine if that was available on the nhs....

You know when they say mobile, you're not really actively mobile though are you? I'm not sure about all that coz i've never seen any. I'd vote for localised and self administered lignacane (spelling!) for a week though, if it ever gets invented lol, definitely!!!

I think there is a huge benefit to knowing that they are there if you NEED them but no one can say you'll be able to have one if you WANT one for all the reasons given above. Obviously no one wants to be in pain but the evidence is mounting about the harmful (sometimes permanent) effects on babies and mothers as well as the growing cost on the NHS which is also a factor, although not the main one in most midwives minds!

The NHS is finally starting to realise that it needs to start spending more time and money on women and their partners pre-birth to take some of this 'fear factor' away either because it's a first birth and they are frightened about the unknown or if it's a second/third birth etc and they had a poor experience first time around.

Psychological therapy services are starting to pick up a lot of women who are genuinely frightened about giving birth which is great news because they are much more likely to have a better experience once their fears have been explored and they feel more in control.

Hypnobirthing is also being looked at from an evidence based point of view and is now offered in some NHS trusts as a way of avoiding clinically unnecessary epidurals.

in the UK the NHS is funded by taxpayers, not nearly the amount of money goes from our wages into it each year as what goes into paying private insurance for maternity care in the US, there is a limit to the budget its not a case of us paying directly for the service so being able to hold the doctors to account over our treatment caus the system is different. there is a finite amount of resource to service a every expanding population and with the cuts the NHS is having at the moment then I personally see the " if i want it i should get it" attitude a bit shortsighted and selfish. would you rather have an epidural knowing that because you had one when you could have looked into equally valid alternatives that are much more affordable that a heart paitent is being denied care or a cancer paitent is denied medication or chemo ? your not ill your just having a baby its a perfectly natural process that women were doing for thousands of years before the invention of epidurals. yes there are some benifits to them but look at the risks too please

in the UK the NHS is funded by taxpayers, not nearly the amount of money goes from our wages into it each year as what goes into paying private insurance for maternity care in the US, there is a limit to the budget its not a case of us paying directly for the service so being able to hold the doctors to account over our treatment caus the system is different. there is a finite amount of resource to service a every expanding population and with the cuts the NHS is having at the moment then I personally see the " if i want it i should get it" attitude a bit shortsighted and selfish. would you rather have an epidural knowing that because you had one when you could have looked into equally valid alternatives that are much more affordable that a heart paitent is being denied care or a cancer paitent is denied medication or chemo ? your not ill your just having a baby its a perfectly natural process that women were doing for thousands of years before the invention of epidurals. yes there are some benifits to them but look at the risks too please

Like I said, If they aren't getting enough money to staff themselves properly without slacking on patient care- maybe it's time for a change.

And yes babies have been being born for years upon years - but we also live in a time where medical care is available to us whereas many moons ago your baby was delivered by a family member or if you were lucky the town midwife. The infant/child mortality rate was also significantly higher then hence the reason people had 13 children in hopes that a handful of them would survive to adulthood. Just because something was acceptable and done at that time does not mean it should be the standard of care in this day and age.

It was also widely believed that putting a knife under the labor bed or chair "cut the pain in two" - maybe we should all try that instead of epidurals or water births. Putting a knife under the bed is much cheaper than buying birthing pools/emptying/cleaning them.

I don't think anyone would expect to be given their epidural just for the pain over a patient about to go into surgery - nor do I think any doctor would put that priority into action under any circumstances so that's just not realistic.

But if a woman requests an epidural, and there is no emergency keeping the anesthesiologist from doing it, she should have it. If it's a matter of the cost and they don't feel they get enough money from taxpayers to do these things-then like I said, perhaps it's time for a change - but my medical care that I pay for out of my taxes should not suffer, nor should my choices for labor be made by anyone but me.

I'm curious just how tickled people would be if this thread were about a hospital refusing to let someone use a birthing pool because of the cost involved in draining it and cleaning it simply because they don't feel it's called for. Who are you to decide what's right for me?

And like I said before, telling someone they should be able to do this epi free because it's natural for our bodies and we've been doing it for ages is akin to telling a woman struggling to BF that she's a failure as a parent because it doesn't work out and she turns to FF. If your standpoint is that we should all be able to do this simply because we've been doing it for ages, would you want to have a c-section without an epi? Because they certainly used to give women c-sections with nothing but a " this is going to hurt"

In my mind there is nothing wrong with getting an epidural. And in many ways it is healthier for both Mom and baby because the stress on both is reduced drastically and many times the labour is shortened because you are able to relax more which give the baby the freedom to do what it needs. Yes there are always going to be cases where it doesn't work out as planned just like natural birth doesn't always work out as planned. There are always statistics. But in the end every woman needs to do what is right for them with no influences one way or the other. I for sure will be getting an epidural no questions asked for numerous reasons and no not just cause I don't want to deal with the pain so please don't slander me for my decision. I agree with Pixie 100% though that if your healthcare has issues being able to afford care then something needs to be looked into or changed with your system. This is one of the reasons so many of us Americans right now are fighting the Government on wanting to go on government run healthcare because it doesn't work and costs way too much money. But that is a whole other story and debate don't need to really get into. This debate can go either way with strong points just like the choice of BF or FF can. But still in the end it is the womans choice and womans choice only. And no one should be slandered or looked down upon or refused for choosing to want one.

Well done pixie2320 I was going to comment on this post earlier, the negative comments and scare stories of epidural are false.

I have had 3 babies, with all of them I had an epidural, 1st labour it actually relaxed me and I started dilating quicker. 2nd Labour - Full Epi, went home 6 hours after birth -no hospital stay (saved NHS money!!) , 3rd labour - Epi had to be put in twice but the whole labour was nightmare due to induction, not Epidural!!

For those ladies who can birth without and Epi congrats to you but its not your place to shove your values onto other people frighten with the whole prospects of birth. If you need an Epi during your birth it is your right to ask and receive one. If you find you can cope without then thats great.

I will definitely be having an Epidural with this baby too.

I wish that was the policy where I had my daughter. They gave out epidurals like lolly pops, it was ridiculous. I was literally arguing with them to NOT have one. They kept telling me it's routine and I needed it, etc. etc. Needless to say I'm not having this baby at the same hospital and I've made it clear to my new OB that I won't tolerate bullying in the delivery room. I'm quite vocal and WILL complain to the insurance company that it was forced on me, so they won't be paid for it.

Wow Mama that is really bad. I don't blame you for being upset for having them force it on you. I have never honestly heard of that before. I have always known the experience of the doctors/nurses asking you if you would like one during the prime windown period by asking how bad your pain level is. But never forcing.

Just jumping over from baby club, excuse any typos I'm on my iPhone.

I can't fathom why some people think its their automatic right to have am epidural. Ladies our bodies are made to have babies believe it or not and if you let yourself listen to your body you will be fine!! I have the pain threshold of a 2 year old but got through my birth with using the birthing pool and gas and air only!
And the 'scare stories' are true, epis do increase the chances of intervention and em c-secs. Women are all too often ready to jump straight to an epidural without exploring the other pain relief options, which I feel people should at least try. And as another poster said, money is a factor also and money isn't an endless supply on the NHS...

I've seen this before in groups from the US and the UK commenting back and forth to each other. I have it on an issue or two but I usually keep my thoughts to myself, like about testing for GD.

I have lived in the US my entire life and I admit that I don't get the sense of entitlement so many people seem to have. An epidural is not a right. Pain relief if necessary and attentive medical care should be a right. Medical people trying to convince you of things you don't need should NEVER happen, like the woman who was told she would have to have a c-section because of her age. It doesn't matter if your care is by private insurance or a health care system. Like all things medical, it is your job to do your research to make sure that you are getting the care that you need from a system that is overworked in every country.

Many people also seem to forget that childbirth was the highest rate of maternal death rates until quite recently. It is still pretty high and most of the changes are due to less intervention methods during childbirth. In the 1950's, they made a habit of knocking women out to give birth. There are many other ways things have changed and as with all changes, not all of them are good.

As far as the woman who changed her mind and her husband and midwife weren't jumping on the changes goes, we don't know how clear she was to them about the possibility of changing her mind before giving birth. Just saying.

Just my opinion but trying to use your standards for another countries medical system doesn't usually work.

Just jumping over from baby club, excuse any typos I'm on my iPhone.

I can't fathom why some people think its their automatic right to have am epidural. Ladies our bodies are made to have babies believe it or not and if you let yourself listen to your body you will be fine!! I have the pain threshold of a 2 year old but got through my birth with using the birthing pool and gas and air only!
And the 'scare stories' are true, epis do increase the chances of intervention and em c-secs. Women are all too often ready to jump straight to an epidural without exploring the other pain relief options, which I feel people should at least try. And as another poster said, money is a factor also and money isn't an endless supply on the NHS...

Like I said before, how is it your right to decide how I should handle my pain? If the birthing pool worked for you - more power to you. So how would you feel if they decided the birthing pool was too expensive to clean and drain after your use and that you didn't need to use it.

Like I said before, telling a woman she "should" be able to do it naturally and without pain meds is incredibly rude and belittling.Clearly then women who require a c-section for medical reasons are doing something wrong right? Since our bodies are made for this and it should be as natural as breathing? Just because babies have been being born for years without medical intervention doesn't mean that should be the standard of care, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->