rehoming my dog :(

monkiePixie

Reaction score
There is no love lost between dh and my dog, anyways my dog growled and showed his teeth to my dh last weekend (he was protecting me at the time as dh was screaming at me). Dh banned my dog from the house so i stayed at my moms with lo and dog. My dog has done this to dh before, again when protecting me. I've had a dog trainer in to visit and she said dh and dog need to bond as my dog doesnt see dh as part of our pack. Dh is making things so difficult. He keeps telling my dog off for no reason or completely ignoring him. I know if my dog is naughty dh will smack him and my dog will show him his teeth again. I've had him for 3 years and he is my world, we adore each other (dog not dh) but i cant bear to see the sadness in his eyes any longer. I love him so much and thats why i am finding him a new home, where everyone will love him and he wont be shouted at. Someone please tell me i'm doing the right thing, i cant stop crying at the thought of losing him but i want him to be happy.

If I was you personally id be rehoming my husband! Buts that just my opinion....

I guess if your dog is getting shouted at, smacked and put outside regularly then I guess he would be better to go to a loving home.

What breed is he?x

I'd rehome your dh, not the dog! No, but seriously you dh should learn to respect your dog, especially as he means so much to you. My dog has growled at my husband too, and when he went to smack her i was the one that turned into a crazy angry bitch and nearly bit him! That was 2 years ago, and they have learned to respect each other and now they cuddle on the couch every night. I dont think you should give your dog away, you may regret it and resent your husband.

I'd rehome dh as well. He should not be screaming at you. It sounds like he needs some help. xx

At the moment i'd much prefer to rehome my dh, he has been vile since lo came along. I swear he goes to the pub nore now than he ever did. I flipped last weekend and told him he should pay his wife and daughter some attention instead of txting ppl all night. He barely does anything for her. My dog is a collie cross so he has lots of energy and needs alot of excersise which unfortunately i cant do as much these days. I really dont want to rehome him but he looks so sad. My dog trainer said she can find him a home where his needs would be met but its so hard letting him go.

Wow this is really sad ...

You sure you can't just work on your DH to grow the hell up? Sounds like there is a lot more wrong here than just your poor dog. You're the dog's mum too, it' gonna be devastated but if you feel it will be better off then i guess your mind is made up.

Your husband sounds like a arsehole.

Same here, id rehome the oh!
My dog has growled at my oh a couple times when he's been shouting at me, he was even more protective of me when I was pregnant!
OH complained about my dog loads and loads and they never got on but he's my fur baby and OH knows I'd never get rid of my dog.

Since I was too pregnant to take the dog out for walks or runs around our field, OH has taken him. They now have a good bond together and my dog gets so excited when OH walks through the door. Shame mine & OH's relationship isn't like that. Lol

i would be kicking hubby out not the dog why is he shouting at you so bad the dog feels a need to protect you ? :shrug: to me you OH is the one acting inappropriatly not you poochie :nope:

So he abuses animals, and shouts at his wife, and prioritises the pub and texting over spending time with his baby daughter or wife. Why are you with him?? Rehoming the dog will leave you resentful of your husband, and may not work easily - there are tons of collie crosses in rescue already, so if you do rehome the dog make sure you send it directly to a new home not to a rescue. Rehoming the "D"H would be better all round it seems to me.

Poor dog.

Aww my dog is hard work but I would never rehome her. I think though getting rid of the dog will make your husband think he can do whatever he wants and he will get his own way. The dog shows you affection, your husband shots at you. I agree with the other lady who said you will end up resenting him more when the dog goes.

Don't rehome your dog. Your dog has done nothing but be faithful to you! I agree with the other ladies and rehome your DH. He sounds like a jackass.

Awwwwww poor dog! Your OH sounds horrid from the way you've described him! My Oh wouldn't dream of letting me get rid of the dog as he knows how much I love him! I have a very high energy breed dog and I put baby in the buggy every morning and off we go with dog to the field to play with his ball. He is then a very happy dog for the rest of the day! I do agree though that your situation isn't good for the dog but ur OH sounds like the problem! hope u get it sorted either way hun but of u get rid of the dog tht u clearly think a lot of imagine how you'd feel if u got rid of dog and split with ur Oh?! :hugs:

This post makes me sad for you, no advice but you have to do what's best:hugs:

Personally I think the dog would be more of a loss than you DH.
I would never rehome my dog for defending me in that situation. If you DH does not want the dog growling at him, then maybe he should stop yelling at you and making the dog think you need his defense?
The thing with dogs, is they love, and trust their owners and alot of them would take their own life for the protection of their owners. And I think your dog would be more sad if you gave him away. I don't think people realize the effect giving pets up does to them. Its emotionally hard on them. We had a rescue st. benard. He was on the streets alot and dumped off in shelters becuase they are just alot of work. He was never use to staying in once place, or believing he had a forever home so it took a LONG time working with him to emotioally sercure his place in our home. He got very defensive even with us but after 1 1/2 years working with him he improved.

Seriously, have you thought of leaving your oh? I can't believe the things I read sometimes. It's just so sad that people act this way and think it's okay. It's not. You deserve better. Really. You do.

I've got to agree with all the other posters...ditch the OH not your poor dog. Would your OH protect you like your dog does?

My dog is part of the family, I could not imagine being made to feel that I have to get rid of her. As a pp said, maybe if your DH doesn't like being growled at, then he should stop giving the dog a reason to growl!

I think that you need to sit down and have a serious chat hun

xx

Okay so I don't think the answer is to "rehome DH". He's the father of your child so I think its worth first pursuing the trainer route further before either the dog or DH has a change of home. I would try to exhaust all possible options before making decisions to that effect. With that said, if it bothers him I DO think he should be the one to stay overnight elsewhere.

Can you have the trainer meet with DH and describe dogs thought processes, explain to him the pack mentality and how he doesnt have to be best friends with the dog but they need to accept each other? As far as his behavior toward you, have you considered some couples counseling if this is a frequent thing? That may also help the dog situation if he has someone snap him out of his post-baby fog.

Sorry you are having to go through this. :hugs:

I feel so bad for you the thought of rehoming my little doggie breaks my heart, he's like my second child. I have to agree with the others of you rehome your dog it will make you resentful of OH. I've recently started babywearing when I walk my dog which makes it so much easier and my dog gets a proper walk. Definitey try keep your dog if you can and if not I would make sure he goes to a home directly otherwise he could be in a rehoming centre for a long time.

Xxx

Sounds like u need to sit down with ur DH Hun and tell him how ur feeling. Please don't rush into getting rid of ur dog! U will resent DH if u do. DH needs to understand that dog is protecting you. Nothing else 3 years is a lot of loyalty for a dog to just give up sweetie

As for ur DH he needs to spend more time trying and less yelling, texting and pubbing

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->