Relactating with Domperidone, anyone?

starshinebby

Proud new mother!
Reaction score
Has anyone sucessfully relactated with the help of Domperidone?

Up until a month ago DS was EBF. We were told to supplement with FF due to slow weight gain. Supplementing has some how turned into completely FF by now. I still have milk, and have been taking fenugreek, lactation cookies, oatmeal, drinking my weight in water and pumping and haven't been able to bring around good enough results. It's been almost 2-3 weeks of this.

Hubby gets paid today so I'm hoping to convince him to let me try Domperidone. If this doesn't work, I guess our breast feeding journey is over. But I'm not giving up without a fight and it's time to bring in the "big guns."

I'm ordering from this site: https://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-17-motilium.aspx

I'm starting out with an order if 100 tablets just in case it doesn't work (I've heard for some it has the opposite effect, I hope this isn't the case for us).

So has anyone been on or is on Domperidone? How long before you personally saw any results? Did you continue to use other methods to help induce lactation (fenugreek, lactation cookies) along with the Domperidone?

Any thing at all would be helpful. I can't wait to put in my order later tonight, so excited.I want to get back to EBF. I think if the Domperidone works for us we might be able to. :)

I used domperidone (same pharmacy!) for my first two boys. While I never had to supplement, I worked full time from two months and am not a great pumper. I saw results from the meds within a day or two, and stayed on it with my first for six moths. With my second, once my supply increased, I weaned myself off the meds and my supply stayed strong. I'd also recommend directly breastfeeding as much as you are able, as that works wonders as well!

I am in a similar situation. My lo is 6 weeks and I have been taking domperidone for a week. Bf went really good until 3 weeks then he started getting fussy and mad at the breast. I chalked it up to a growth spurt, but I went in two weeks later to be told he hadn't gained any weight. I started Dom and noticed an increase with 24-48 hours. By now I have much more milk. Very rarely does he fight the breast now. Usually just with the late afternoon feed. He dinks a lot and falls asleep when full. He never did that before. Feelings always ended with a screaming baby because there was no milk left. I plan on continuing Dom for another month or so then weaning myself off. I breast fed my previous son with no issues, so this has been a real challenge for me. I hope things get better for you:)

I have been taking domperidone around 4 weeks now.

After he refused my breast my supply dwindled and by 8 weeks he was FF. I could still hand express a few drops and around 10mls in a full day :/.

I noticed an increase in supply after 2-3 days with the domperidone. I also began double expresssing 8 times a day for 15-20 minutes.

In the past 4 weeks I have gone from 10mls a day to over 600mls a day (I got just over 23oz yesterday!). I am taking 6x10mg tabs a day and also 8 fenugreek tabs a day. And my supply is increasing by 1-2oz per day atm.

I just put in my order for Vomnistop. I decided to go with that brand because it was cheaper (I got 500 tabs for under $60) and 10mg of domperidone is 10mg of domperidone.

I am so excited! I love hearing all the successful stories about using domperidone. I'm gonna continue fenugreek and prenatals. I cannot wait until my order comes in. :)

I hope they give you good results :) what dose are you going to take?

Yep, I've done it. I took 30mg 3x daily. I relactated after a month and had no milk left. Took about 6 weeks to wean off formula. I'm not breastfeeding a 17 month old and 16 weeks pregnant! :)

My story is in my sig if you fancy a read. :flower:

GOOD LUCK!

I hope they give you good results :) what dose are you going to take?

I think I'll start by taking 1 10mg pill 3 times a day for a total of 30mg a day and work my way up from there. That way if it works and I come to the point of wanting to wean off of the medication I don't have a larger number of pills to wean off of since I would have stopped upping the number of pill once my supply is well established.

What dose did you start off on?

I was prescribed 1x10mg 3 times a day. So the same that you want to take. I didnt notice a difference with that though so went up to 6x10mg per day. I take 2 in the morning, 1 at lunch, 2 at dinner and 1 before bed.

I have thought about upping it again but think it will be harder to wean off a higher dose and keep my supply steady.

I was prescribed 1x10mg 3 times a day. So the same that you want to take. I didnt notice a difference with that though so went up to 6x10mg per day. I take 2 in the morning, 1 at lunch, 2 at dinner and 1 before bed.

I have thought about upping it again but think it will be harder to wean off a higher dose and keep my supply steady.

Hm, it's tempting to start at a higher dose right from the start but I think I'll try the 10mg 3 times a day for maybe 2-3 days (along with 9 tabs of fenugreek) and the move up 10mg every 2-3 days until I get to producing as much as I need to for my DS.

I think I read that you can wean yourself off 1 10mg pill a week to see if it effects your supply. If everything is good continue to take off 1 10mg pill every week while monitoring your supply. (source:https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?optio...ridone-stopping&catid=5:information&Itemid=17)

So if you just up it by one pill a week until you get your desired results it shouldn't add too much time on for when you do decide to wean off of them.

Yeah it is good idea to start off on a smaller dose as I am sure people will react differently to it and it will have a bigger/smaller effect on different individuals. I went from 3 a day to 5 a day and now to 6 a day and seem to be gradually getting a bigger supply each day at a rate I am happy with. I will definitly wean of slowly at 1 pill a week as I ran out for two days the other week and it cut my supply by more than half :( it was so scary but luckily it went straight back up once I got my pills again.

Still waiting for my order. It was ordered the 23rd, shipped out the 26th and it is now the 28th. I'm so anxious. I want it here NOW so I can start taking them NOW. ):

Its so frustrating waiting for things like this isnt it! As time is such an important factor when it comes to maintaining supply! Hopefully they will get there soon and you can get started right away!

I finally got my order yesterday but my OH didn't tell me about it until this morning (he forgot, lol) so I've just taken my first dose of 3 10mg Domperidone tablets! I'm so excited cannot wait to hopefully see an increase in BM.

On a more frustrating note, the pump I am using is rented from WIC but since my son is on their full formula package (I don't produce enough to only supplement but hopefully that will change) they want their pump back Monday. I'm going to explain my situation to them and hopefully they'll let me continue to use it but if not I'm probably going to be without an electric pump for a while. And I'm going to have to buy my own.

So, that brings me to ask what brand of pump is everyone using? And recommendations? I don't want to spend too much on it, but if it means the difference between an okay pump and a great pump I'm just going to have to convince OH that it's necessary to spend money to get our son back to being EBF.

Ah shame about the breastpump. I am using a medela symphony double electric pump. Luckily I ran into an amazing breastfeeding support woman who got me one for free to use as there was no way I could have afforded to buy/rent one!

I have heard good things about the medela swing though which is a decent price I think.

Maybe I should look into all the local breast feeding support numbers I have. Maybe one of them will understand my situation and rent me a pump, or explain to WIC that I should be allowed to continue to use the pump to help my supply. That was they whole reason I have the pump, to increase supply so I don't understand why they want to say I'm not "really using it" it's not my fault it's not increasing my supply as much as I want it to. The problem is none of them have heard of Domperdone, but they know I'm taking supplements and trying my best.

Maybe I can ask for another month, it'd give me time to put some money aside for a pump. The Medela Swing doesn't seem like a daily use pump. I want one that's portable, but it needs some power behind it and a double pump of course. I'm thinking about the Medela In Style. It's not too expensive ($224.99) and it'll defiantly pay for itself.

So I totally forgot that the Medela's are open systems. I was thinking about borrowing or going used so that's out.

I'm thinking about getting this one instead: https://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/breast-pump-reviews-bailey_a/186.htm as it is a closed system and is approved by the FDA for multiple users which is great because I can loan it out if need be. Plus it's a lot cheaper ($139.95 and free shipping for the deluxe package but the pump itself can be bought for just $89.99).

So I've ended up taking 10x 10mg Domperidone pills (for 100mg) + 9x 610mg Fenugreek pills (for 5,490mg) + a prenatal pill.

I've tried getting in as many pumping sessions as I can an haven't even touched an ounce. ):

This is only my second day taking it though, and I have noticed that when I massage and do some hand expressing before pumping my milk squirts out like it used to. So we are defiantly getting somewhere. :)

Dont be disheartened as it does take a few days for the pills to take full effect. 100mg a day is A LOT! Maybe once you start producing you should reduce to 90mg as thats a big dose to be on for a long time. Is there any reason you hve jumped to such a big dose so fast? I increased my pills 1-2 at a time until I found the amount that had a good effect. As good as a high dose now will be, it is going to be harder to wean off from as you will be quite dependant on it.

Hope it takes effect soon though and the fenugreek were quite good for me too until the shop ran out! Hopefully they will get back in stock soon!

Also the breastpumps- titally didnt think about the open/closed system thing!

Hello,

Nice to hear from other ladies about the Domperidone. I was just suggested this by my Lactation Consultant this morning. I've been very hesitant to touch anything chemical to be honest. I did take my first dose when I got home and will take my second this evening. My LC prescribed 3x10mg a day and said we can reevaluate in a week or two and see if we should up it or not. She also strongly suggested the Medela Symphony (to rent, too expensive to buy :wacko:) as it seems to be the best on the market at the moment. I did buy another (Difrax) just late last week but I think I will use that only once the milk supply is established again, if we manage to get it going.

I hope it'll work for you Starshine. Be careful not to overdo it! :flower:

Ps: what does it mean when you say 'open system'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->