renting question

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
We private rent and deal direct with our landlord. We have had no issues so far on either end and most contact has been made by e mail although I do have her contact number. We moved in Nov and paid month up front.

I recently got a a new job but the firsts months pay will be a little bit funny and will get paid later in the month than usual. The rent is due on the 25th each month and in August I won't get paid till the 29th. I can honestly say I won't have the money that month. What should I do; explain the situation to the landlord and ask for an extension for August alone? Or borrow of my credit card short term to pay and then pay the landlord on time and pay the card off in 4 days time?

Thanks

I'd ask for an extension from the landlord for August before I'd borrow from a credit card. Those are major money traps. If you have any balance already on the card, it makes it practically impossible to pay off the borrowed cash amount.

Can you get a temporary overdraft? It's better than borrowing on a credit card (unless it's 0% over the period you'd be borrowing on)

Can you get a temporary overdraft? It's better than borrowing on a credit card (unless it's 0% over the period you'd be borrowing on)

I don't think I could get an overdraft that big but I could ask. I thought that interest wise I would be OK as it would only be for 4 days?

I had the exact same thing back in May and like you private rent and deal direct with the land lady, I emailed her as soon as I knew about and asked if we could change the date and any difference we owed could we make up at a later date, she was fine with that as it had given her enough time to either change some payment dates herself or ensure she had enough money to cover until mine went into her account, unless they are very unreasonable I shouldnt think it would be a problem to change the date :flower:

i would speak to your lanlord :)
im sure she will be fine with it only being 4 days - unless of course her mortgage comes out within those 4 days then landlord may have an issue
xx

I don't think I could get an overdraft that big but I could ask. I thought that interest wise I would be OK as it would only be for 4 days?

The issue is more if you have any other balance at all on the card. The way they distribute the funds if you owe balances on cash on the card, and towards credit purchases is messed up. We once had to use our credit card for cash, and it was literally a nightmare getting the cash part paid off because they kept distributing the payments so weird. And the cash amount had a higher interest rate than the actual credit card. It was a nightmar. I'll never do that again unless I absolutely have no other option.

I'd contact your landlord. It depends when her mortgage comes out.

Contact the landlord and see if when you pay rent in July you can pay extra to cover 25th -29th august and set up future payments to go out on 29th. I'm sure if you explain she won't mind.

I shouldn't need to pay more as I pay a month in advance so I pay for the month that I am about to go into. So would e mailing and explaining be OK?

I reckon it would be fine if you spoke to the LL! If not your credit card would be ok to use if you paid it off after 4 days!

The issue is more if you have any other balance at all on the card. The way they distribute the funds if you owe balances on cash on the card, and towards credit purchases is messed up. We once had to use our credit card for cash, and it was literally a nightmare getting the cash part paid off because they kept distributing the payments so weird. And the cash amount had a higher interest rate than the actual credit card. It was a nightmar. I'll never do that again unless I absolutely have no other option.

How long ago was this? A few yrs ago the law changed and card issuers now need to apply payments to the things that have higher interest first, , previously they could allocate those last.

Op I would contact your LL and explain, we privately rented previously and our LL would have been okay with it.

How long ago was this? A few yrs ago the law changed and card issuers now need to apply payments to the things that have higher interest first, , previously they could allocate those last.

Op I would contact your LL and explain, we privately rented previously and our LL would have been okay with it.

I was aware of the law change too which was why I was considering it. But apologies as I never updated this and this was a couple of weeks ago. I decided to ask and if my LL wasn't happy I would of gone down this route. I e mailed and she replied saying it was fine. I have also kept the e mail just in case!

It was more than a few years ago, back when I was in college with a lot of debt. I have no idea if the laws have changed on it, or if they are different in UK vs US. I just know after that awful experience I had I will never do it again. It took forever getting the cash portion paid back because they kept applying payments to the credit portion, and not towards the cash portion. It was split between the 2, but they would allocate most of my payment to credit, and least of it to the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->