Review on the babystyle Oyster buggy/accessories

2bmum

Me, my lil man + WTT 2011
Reaction score
I managed to get through 6 buggies in as many months and then found the babystyle oyster online so ordered it. I've had it since Christmas so thought I'd do a little review.

Firstly it took 9 weeks to become in stock. I thought it was a good sign that there was a waiting list for it.

There are good and bad points about it.

Good bits

The suspension is brilliant on it, I've not had a better buggy. It's even better than most of the off road 3 wheelers I've seen over uneven ground. It doesn't have to be tipped really high to get up curbs and doesn't 'crash' back down when you go up them and wake a sleeping baby.

I tested the break with flip flops on, because we all know how hard some are in summer when you're wearing them. It's very light and easy to do and you don't end up with a broken foot in the process.

You don't need a degree to put it together, it's very simple.

The seat unit is excellent, lots of positions for baby and it doesn't jerk back if baby falls asleep and you want to lay them back a bit more.

It has an integral UV net which is fab - no need for parasols.

The seat unit faces both ways and is sooooo very easy to change around. It just simply clicks in and away you go.

The frame is very easy to put up and put down and very light. The handlebar is very adjustable and adjusts to my height (5ft 8") his Nan's height (5ft 1") and his grandad's height (6ft 3") with the simple press of a button.

The padding on the straps is very comfortable for your lo too

So easy to move and light to push, you can quite easily push the buggy with one hand while grabbing shopping or carrying a shopping basket in the other.

Nothing on this buggy is too complicated.

The not so good bits

If you need to put the straps through at a different height it's like trying to perform a miracle. The seat unit is velcroed and secured in such a way that there is hardly any gap to get your hand through.

The shopping basket is sooooooooooooooooooo tiny. You can just about get a standard size handbag in it but that's it. I really miss the space my other buggies gave me.

I purchased the matching changing bag and really didn't think it was worth the £40 paid for it. It's quite small compared to some, no changing mat included, nowhere to put bottles and only 2 x 1/2 size pockets inside which I used one for nappies and the other for wipes. By the time you've put your changing mat, aprons, spoons , nappy bags and other bits and pieces in there is no room hardly for bottles or food. I wish I'd found a more useful one in a similar colour.

The foot muff seems very cosy but the buggy comes with an apron as standard which, when lo is wearing a snowsuit is quite warm enough so mine hasn't come out of the wrapper yet.

The colour choice is not good at all. There was bright pink and black (no good for me) which was in stock, green and black (not in stock) or pearl which is a greyish colour. I wanted the green and black but realising how much black was on the design I didn't think it was practical for summer because of the heat so opted for the pearl. It wouldn't have been an obvious choice for me but doesn't get as dirty as I feared.

The online videos of it are very dissipative of it's size. It shows the frame being put into the boot of a very small polo. It is true, the frame does fold down small, but you also need to take the seat unit and it take up alot of space. I have found that folding it down without the seat unit in, then putting the frame then seat unit ontop in the boot takes up less room than when it it attached. It still takes up the boot of an astra and leave enough room for 2 shopping bags down the side. I really was hoping it folded down really small like it said so I could get the dogs in too but there isn't a chance of that so at the moment it's either the dogs come and I carry lo or dogs stay behind. small umbrella stroller for the summer will be purchased I expect.

I find toys hard to attach to this too, perhaps other oyster owners could advise?

The worst thing for me is the black on the front of the changing bag, buggy hood and rim of the apron attracts fluff/hair and bits like a magnet. I have to use the brush on it everytime I take it out. My buggy was in my boot after a valet for a week, no pets near it, and inside a tarpaulin liner that I bought to protect it and it still managed to have bits of fluff all over it. I'm glad I didn't buy the green which had more of this back material than the pearl.

So all in all, lovely buggy to use, easy to assemble, but not as small as you'd think, does attract fluff and bits, and the shopping basket is very small :)

I agree. I love mine but the lack of shopping basket is driving me nuts. :growlmad::growlmad:

Thankyou lots for this review, I've found it very helpful!xx

Im glad you put this up ive been looking into getting one. Although they now do 13 different colours :o)

Ive just got one of the new 1s with the black chassis & purple colour pack.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it :D xx

We'll be getting the Oyster - just become a lot harder to decide what colour now!!

Little disappointed babystyle aren't bringing out new colours for the footmuffs:nope:

hi, we just ordered the oyster black pearl. We will buy a colour pack when LO gets here as we don't know the sex yet. I'm so pleased to get another item crossed off the list! Love the pram as it has everything we could need and not too heavy or bulky.

We'll be getting the Oyster - just become a lot harder to decide what colour now!!

Little disappointed babystyle aren't bringing out new colours for the footmuffs:nope:

I know im bit gutted bout that but if ur ordering the new 1, it comes black & comes with a black apron too so u could just jazz it up abit with a blanket that matches pram colour.. Or I might just buy my own footmuff thing.

I ADORE my Oyster so much. I can hardly fault it. I find the straps easy to adjust and the shopping basket is really generous for my needs (I guess if you're a mum that walks to the shops and doesn't have a car boot then you may need a larger one?) It's so manouverable, really light, small in the boot... brilliant!
I never find fluff attached to the black parts as OP said either.

The only thing that would improve it is another strap setting lower down on the top to make it more snug for LO. (He has just gone six months and the harness is still a little loose.

I would advise against the bag which is poor quality and not practical. I bought a skip hop duo deluxe in camo and it matches my green and black perfectly!

I loved the black chassis but hated the upvc parts. Ideally I'd love the black chassis with my lovely green and black so I think Babystyle should allow mix and match!

The colour packs look great but without a matching footmuff on offer for winter I don't see the point in buying it!

I'm selling my oyster in perfect condition, silver chassis, pearl colourway, inc footmuff. It's only been used for 3 months and looks brand new, if anyone is interested the thread is here :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/buy-swa...ent-facing-pushchair-excellent-condition.html

Thanks for the reviews, ive just ordered one and its nice to read some reviews from people who have used it.

I just JUST payed £508 for a whole Oyster package (Black chassis, seat unit, colour pack, carrycot, car seat, car seat adaptors) and THEN I come on here, not 10 minutes later (honestly!!!) and see this!! :dohh: I wasnt even looking! lol
Thanks for the info! Wtih the new colour packs, you get a new bag or something, does anyone know what it is?

I think mine was £475...? I've not got the footmuff though or the changing bag xx

Just to add, we got our oyster yesterday and put it together (by the book) and one of the brakes on the back wheel is faulty :( absolutely gutted xx

Good review...thanks to OP for posting. :thumbup: It's so nice to read reviews by people who you know have actually used something!

We are in the agonising process of deciding what to buy at the moment, and everytime we think we've found the right one some little detail comes up that makes us change our mind!!!

We hadn't even looked at this one until Saturday, and it is now high on the list of choices.

This is a really good review, but might be useful to point out to new readers that there is a new one out now, which has 20 different colour packs and a bigger basket. :)

just received our new oyster in black with lime green colour pack, i will say that i love the look of it and feels fantastic to push, although only done round mil's house as baby still not arrived yet (4 days overdue at present :( ) one thing i was dissapointed with was the flimsyness of the car seat adaptors, when originally ordered in may the car seat fit straight to the frame, but now requires adaptors which are hard to use and do not seem to match the build quality as much as the rest of the pram!
i am still waiting for the carrycot to arrive tho, but that is a long saga and another story about the uselessness of the pram shop used! Grr! hopefully will get to use pram properly soon.

Would definately still reccommend the babystyle oyster tho! x

cannot wait for mine to arrive from kiddicare in mid Sept!!

we ordered the black pearl almost 10 weeks ago and are still waiting, it now won't be delivered to store until mid sept was originally due early/mid aug, which will just leave a few weeks till d day. I really hope they don't move the date again, I'd advice ppl to order as soon as they decide on which pram they want, just in case.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->