Right...cloth nappies - HELP!

sue_88

Reaction score
So I have spent the last two hours doing nothing but researching / reading about cloth nappies and I think THINK I am getting there in understanding.

I've decided I am not solely doing cloth, I will be doing a combination of sposies and cloth....and I'm not really doing it for the eco reasons either.

I'm mainly doing it because I cannot STAND when a baby girl is wearing a dress and the disgusting disposible nappy is hanging out the bottom, they are ugly & it looks tacky IMO. (Millie already has 20 pairs of knickers to cover sposies!).

I also think they seem so much more comfortable for her.....who wouldn't want a nice terry cloth next to their nunny.....much better than a gel filled wodge of padding.

Anywho.....because I am not 100% sold, I am going to start cheap (I know you always get what you pay for but with this I'm going cheap to start with then I will invest in the future if we're getting along!).

So I am thinking of getting 8 nappies, 8 cloth inserts & a roll of flushable inserts to catch the poop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230966628455?var=530138533975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Roll-of-100-flushable-paper-nappy-liners-for-reusable-cloth-nappy-/300631183454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item45ff03d05e

Do this look like an ok basic starter kit!? HELP!

Sounds like a plan. Most of my stash is cheap cloth diapers from Ebay. I use the Sunbaby brand and really like them. I would definitely recommend them.

I know you say you don't plan on doing cloth full time, but 8 isn't much. I would buy enough that it's worth running a load of laundry. Also, are you going to breastfeed? If you are then you don't need to deal with liners at all. Just throw it in the wash. Breastfeed poop is water soluble. The liners can be a big pain so I wouldn't deal with them unless you have to. A diaper sprayer is a great option too.

Enjoy cloth diapering!

I was thinking of getting a couple in for the same reasons you mentioned, and also in case we ever run out of nappies. :haha:

But I don't understand them either.
SO I understand there is the outer nappy, and I understand that a liner goes in there, but what on earth is the cloth insert? lol

Can I not just put them in with a regular wash after I have rinsed them through?!

And I do a towel wash twice a week which I plan to put them in with....hmm maybe I need a few more then!

I was thinking of getting a couple in for the same reasons you mentioned, and also in case we ever run out of nappies. :haha:

SO I understand there is the outer nappy, and I understand that a liner goes in there, but what on earth is the cloth insert? lol

The liner absorbs the wee......and this goes into a pouch inside the nappy (check out the link as you can see where the liner goes!) and then I will be putting in the flushable insert on the top of the nappy against baby to catch the poo poo so this can be binned (wee goes through!)! As if we are out and about wearing cloth I do not want to carry shit around in my bag :flower: haha.

The nappies are also waterproof too so wee doesn't come through (unless saturated obviously!)

Personally I would use fleece or bamboo liners as the sposie ones aren't that soft. I used to think they would scratch Oliver.

8 isn't really a lot when you are going to be using them for a day at a time? they need changing more regularly than sposies.

I used lots of Ebay cheapies, and the worked well for us x

The liner absorbs the wee......and this goes into a pouch inside the nappy (check out the link as you can see where the liner goes!) and then I will be putting in the flushable insert on the top of the nappy against baby to catch the poo poo so this can be binned (wee goes through!)! As if we are out and about wearing cloth I do not want to carry shit around in my bag :flower: haha.

The nappies are also waterproof too so wee doesn't come through (unless saturated obviously!)

Ooh, so you have nappy, nappy liner, and flushable poo catcher! I get it now. It's actually quite simple isn't it, LOL.

You get a wet bag and rinse the nappy before putting it in when they have done a poo.

Hey sue_88! My due date is Aug 8th, so a while to go, but I've also been considering cloth nappies... We like these Italian ones called Bambino Mio... You're right, the other nappies look really tacky under pretty dresses! I like the fact that they are 100% cotton, which would irritate the baby's skin much less than normal nappies. Also, the money - a pack which will last us from 'birth to potty' costs about 200 pounds, whereas the cost of nappies would turn out much more. So many benefits! BUT, our problem is the drying - we live in a tiny flat and don't have a tumble dryer (yet), so drying in winter's gonna be a nightmare. So maybe we'll use a combination of 'normal' nappies and washable ones... Do you know anyone who uses washable nappies?

here is a picture of a few of the ones I had, you can see liners and wet bags in there as well

https://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/xgemma1987x/DSCF1652.jpg

https://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/xgemma1987x/DSCF1645.jpg

Personally I would use fleece or bamboo liners as the sposie ones aren't that soft. I used to think they would scratch Oliver.

8 isn't really a lot when you are going to be using them for a day at a time? they need changing more regularly than sposies.

I think I'll need to pick up a pack of the flushables then and see what they are like - don't want them to be uncomfortable for her.

How many should I be aiming for? Or should I just start with the 8 to see how we get one and get a few more after a couple of weeks (I've already got about 150 sposies in the house so a good couple of weeks worth)? Or should I go for at least 12, then get more after a couple of weeks?

:flower:

Something I've just though of!

You say u don't need a liner with BF poo. I plan on BF'ing for 6 months. (Hopefully)

So in all that time will poo be liquid?! Do thy only get solid poo's when they wean?!

I'm a mother I should know I just don't remember!!

I think I'll need to pick up a pack of the flushables then and see what they are like - don't want them to be uncomfortable for her.

How many should I be aiming for? Or should I just start with the 8 to see how we get one and get a few more after a couple of weeks (I've already got about 150 sposies in the house so a good couple of weeks worth)? Or should I go for at least 12, then get more after a couple of weeks?

:flower:

TBH I started with 10 and 2 night nappies, but I was clothing him full time.

I agree with not spending a lot as you might not get on with them, also you might love them and want them full time.

The good thing about them is they hold there value most of the time, and you can sell them on.

Another idea might be to pop over to the natural parenting forum and ask the same question over there because I am sure they will be more than willing to help :flower: x

You say u don't need a liner with BF poo. I plan on BF'ing for 6 months. (Hopefully)

So in all that time will poo be liquid?! Do thy only get solid poo's when they wean?!

I assume so :rofl: I can't remember it was only 3 years since I had Oliver :blush:

Hey sue_88! My due date is Aug 8th, so a while to go, but I've also been considering cloth nappies... We like these Italian ones called Bambino Mio... You're right, the other nappies look really tacky under pretty dresses! I like the fact that they are 100% cotton, which would irritate the baby's skin much less than normal nappies. Also, the money - a pack which will last us from 'birth to potty' costs about 200 pounds, whereas the cost of nappies would turn out much more. So many benefits! BUT, our problem is the drying - we live in a tiny flat and don't have a tumble dryer (yet), so drying in winter's gonna be a nightmare. So maybe we'll use a combination of 'normal' nappies and washable ones... Do you know anyone who uses washable nappies?

Never known anyone use them but my midwife raves about them, and next week in antenatal we are learning about them!! :happydance:

I assume so :rofl: I can't remember it was only 3 years since I had Oliver :blush:

Haha! I'm a photographer n photograph very small babies n they always have that korma coloured poop!!

I wonder if its like that the whole time I BF!! Intrigued now!

Hope someone can answer. Means the whole time I BF the ordeal of the poo and washing won't be that bad.

Just when they start on solids and then they are real human poops!

ha! Yup. Breastfed poop is like a mushy, mustardy color. It's not solid at all, but I wouldn't call it "liquid" either. You literally just throw it in the washer.

To the OP... you could just throw your diapers in with your regular wash after you rinse them, but I always run a separate load. Seems more sanitary I guess :) After you start solids and the poop firms up you can just plop the poop in the toilet. That's what I always do. Or use toilet paper to wipe it in the toilet. I hate liners because they never stay in place, but hey you might like them! I think if I was going to buy a starter stash on Ebay I would go with 14 if I could afford it. You can cloth diaper fully with 24, 36 is really comfortable.

Any other questions? I am happy to help!

Haha! I'm a photographer n photograph very small babies n they always have that korma coloured poop!!

I wonder if its like that the whole time I BF!! Intrigued now!

Hope someone can answer. Means the whole time I BF the ordeal of the poo and washing won't be that bad.

Just when they start on solids and then they are real human poops!

So glad I decided against the Indian for tea tonight :sick: :haha:

I've got pictures of baby poo in my breastfeeding booklet and it just looks like smush....not a log like food poop.

ha! Yup. Breastfed poop is like a mushy, mustardy color. It's not solid at all, but I wouldn't call it "liquid" either. You literally just throw it in the washer.

To the OP... you could just throw your diapers in with your regular wash after you rinse them, but I always run a separate load. Seems more sanitary I guess :) After you start solids and the poop firms up you can just plop the poop in the toilet. That's what I always do. Or use toilet paper to wipe it in the toilet. I hate liners because they never stay in place, but hey you might like them! I think if I was going to buy a starter stash on Ebay I would go with 14 if I could afford it. You can cloth diaper fully with 24, 36 is really comfortable.

Any other questions? I am happy to help

Thanks :flower: I think I will get 3 of those sets, so 12 in total just to begin with, then invest in more later on.

I wash my towels on a 60C wash so I will put them in with this. I don't plan on doing it full time to begin with, mainly as I have got 150 sposies sat upstairs that I'm not going to let go to waste! :baby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->