RIP mrs thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was a mother and a grandmother, an aunty and a friend to many. I think the people posting vile things on Facebook and the like should take the time to think how they would feel if somebody was spouting the same about one of their friends or relatives.

Like I said, I'm not convinced that her children actually thought a lot of their mother.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aret-Thatcher-ignored-children-Christmas.html

As for me thinking she was a vile woman - I think the same of anybody who realises they are making huge numbers of people suffer and continues with it regardless, without showing any remorse for it. Whether that's in a political way, or a non political way.

But also, as I pointed out, I'm indifferent to her death. It changes nothing in terms of the country nowadays. The damage was done to Britain during her political reign.

I'm not going to get into the Thatcher debate because it is boring and not what this thread was about, but I think it is bang out of order to comment on her relationship with her children, what has it got to do with anything, what does their relationship matter I'm sure they still need to grieve. God it's not even 24 hours yet and I am so bored of it all, RIP Lady Thatcher, I'm proud my husband will be working the funeral next week.

It's not bang out of order at all if it's true. Why sit there and pretend that they thought she was a wonderful person, if they didn't?
And I only brought it up because I was responding to what somebody else said about her being a missed mother and so on.
Many mothers are not missed by their children. Sad fact of life.

But how do you know what their relationship was like? Whose to say it hadnt changed before she died? People still need to grieve, they might grieve for the relationship they never got to have. But I think it is bang out of order for you to decide whether her family will be sad or not, or whether we are allowed to feel sorry for them? I don't know what their relationship was like, but I still feel sorry for the fact they have lost their mum?

I don't understand why people would come on a thread with the title "RIP" specifically to say negative things about someone who has just died. Big old side eye for some of you right now.

Being born in 86 I know very little about her really apart from the fact my mother didn't like her cos she stopped free school milk

Did she do any good when she was in power or are the people on my fb justified?

If she was so bad, why was she elected 3 times by the public? I'm confused? I think it's awful some of the stuff that's been out on fb about her; quite shocking in fact.

Not a fan of her policies but no one can deny her conviction politics, a rarity!

I agree - not a fan but I wish we had a morally decent left-wing politician with her self-belief and determination - I would be thrilled!

Being born in 86 I know very little about her really apart from the fact my mother didn't like her cos she stopped free school milk

She won 3 general elections, so I suppose that speaks for itself as to how the country felt at the time. However, no politician is going to get 100% support.

ETA, I don't think anybody is justified in saying the dreadful things that are being said. I find it strange that if you pilloried somebody for their religious beliefs there would be uproar, yet it is ok to do so for someone's political beliefs.

I'm too young to comment on the lady, my Dad was a miner though. I personally think it's sad when people say terrible things about the elderly, regardless of their past. They are wise beyond our years and we should have respect. A woman died today and there will be people mourning, we may feel indifferent about it, but we should give respect to those who do feel saddened.

She won 3 general elections, so I suppose that speaks for itself as to how the country felt at the time. However, no politician is going to get 100% support.

I do feel bad for all this hated Esp by people my age who didn't live though her being in power

I though Blair and brown were god awful but I don't think I will be dancing about when they die

I do feel bad for all this hated Esp by people my age who didn't live though her being in power

I though Blair and brown were god awful but I don't think I will be dancing about when they die

Or remember the state of the country before she came to power.

I too thought Blair was awful and made some appalling decisions, but no way would I celebrate his death.

She was a mother and a grandmother, an aunty and a friend to many. I think the people posting vile things on Facebook and the like should take the time to think how they would feel if somebody was spouting the same about one of their friends or relatives.

Like I said, I'm not convinced that her children actually thought a lot of their mother.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aret-Thatcher-ignored-children-Christmas.html

As for me thinking she was a vile woman - I think the same of anybody who realises they are making huge numbers of people suffer and continues with it regardless, without showing any remorse for it. Whether that's in a political way, or a non political way.

But also, as I pointed out, I'm indifferent to her death. It changes nothing in terms of the country nowadays. The damage was done to Britain during her political reign.

I'm not going to get into the Thatcher debate because it is boring and not what this thread was about, but I think it is bang out of order to comment on her relationship with her children, what has it got to do with anything, what does their relationship matter I'm sure they still need to grieve. God it's not even 24 hours yet and I am so bored of it all, RIP Lady Thatcher, I'm proud my husband will be working the funeral next week.

It's not bang out of order at all if it's true. Why sit there and pretend that they thought she was a wonderful person, if they didn't?
And I only brought it up because I was responding to what somebody else said about her being a missed mother and so on.

But how do you know what their relationship was like? Whose to say it hadnt changed before she died? People still need to grieve, they might grieve for the relationship they never got to have. But I think it is bang out of order for you to decide whether her family will be sad or not, or whether we are allowed to feel sorry for them? I don't know what their relationship was like, but I still feel sorry for the fact they have lost their mum?

Many many people lose their parents every day. you can't feel sorry for everybody.
My commiserations to anybody who actually cared about her - whether that's her children or not. Emotionally to me personally I'm (as I have previously mentioned) indifferent to the fact that she died.
As a politician though she was dreadful and I stand by that, regardless of what her private life was like.

You can feel my opinions are "bang out of order" if you like though.

I personally think it's sad when people say terrible things about the elderly, regardless of their past. They are wise beyond our years and we should have respect.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. Evil people get old, and we should what...respect them just because they're old?
If Hitler had lived to a ripe old age, should people have started respecting him when he was in his 80s because he was "wise beyond our years", regardless of his past?
Absolutely not. An old person is an old person. Age has nothing to do with what kind of person they are or whether they should be respected. Some are wise, some are not. Some are good, some are not. Some are lovely, some are not. A person doesn't change who they are just because they lived a long time.

I respect people worthy of respect, regardless of age.

As for Maggie Thatcher, I don't think her decisions were even remotely "wise". I think she caused a lot of problems for people in her country - people who were looking up to her for leadership, and that makes for a very poor politician. Sure she stood up for what she believed in, but what she believed in was downright awful most of the time. Her being elderly doesn't change that in the slightest.

An old woman died, that's it. I have no more respect for her when she was old than I did when she was younger.

But nor am I glad she died. She just died. End of story.

My mum wouldnt own her current house if it wasnt for thatcher allowing people to buy their council houses :thumbup:

Thats all I know about her lol

The issue is, love her or hate her, she was a Prime Minister, who, ultimately was voted in by 'us' and by 'Us' I mean the General Public, who also held office (is that the right phrase), for over 10 years. (If she was so shit and unpopular, why was she voted for, at the time, to stay as PM, THREE TIMES!). What you have to bear in mind is that ANY Prime Minister has a shit job, and will leave a legacy that is not popular (which is why they get voted out!), but she has also done some great things too. Its actually nothing to do with her, its to do with Politics.

If she was so bad, why was she elected 3 times by the public? I'm confused? I think it's awful some of the stuff that's been out on fb about her; quite shocking in fact.

And EXACTLY this! We, as a Nation Voted for her...THREE TIMES, and you know what, it would probably have been just as shitty if Labour were in too.

Look at the current legacy our politicians have left behind, look at the wonderful legacy Brown and Blair have left behind, a crippled economy and dodgy expenses claims, do we want our children celebrating THEIR deaths? Come on...

My mum wouldnt own her current house if it wasnt for thatcher allowing people to buy their council houses :thumbup:

But then there were no council houses and many people suffered. Two sides to everything :shrug:

I agree for the most part with Alice, though I do think it's unnecessary and could cause hurt to rejoice in her death, especially in public.

But then there were no council houses and many people suffered. Two sides to everything :shrug:

I agree for the most part with Alice, though I do think it's unnecessary and could cause hurt to rejoice in her death, especially in public.

But if they hadnt been allowed to buy it (well my grandma at the time), they wouldnt have been able to afford anywhere else to buy so would have stayed in their council house anyway so I dont see how that would make a difference either way?

And EXACTLY this! We, as a Nation Voted for her...THREE TIMES, and you know what, it would probably have been just as shitty if Labour were in too.

Look at the current legacy our politicians have left behind, look at the wonderful legacy Brown and Blair have left behind, a crippled economy and dodgy expenses claims, do we want our children celebrating THEIR deaths? Come on...

Her reelection was achieved largely because of the victory in the Falklands, which most people now think was completely unnecessary and too many people died in it and too much money was spent. It was also often the case (still is sometimes) that the poorer classes felt they didn't have much of a voice and were unlikely to vote. It was them that suffered.

Many many people lose their parents every day. you can't feel sorry for everybody.
My commiserations to anybody who actually cared about her - whether that's her children or not. Emotionally to me personally I'm (as I have previously mentioned) indifferent to the fact that she died.
As a politician though she was dreadful and I stand by that, regardless of what her private life was like.

You can feel my opinions are "bang out of order" if you like though.

Sorry "bang out of order" was a bit strong on reflection lol, I don't have issue with how you feel about her or that you are indifferent to her death or the feelings of her family, but I just don't think it's right the way you brought up the supposed relationship of which you have no evidence to some how judge other people feeling sorry for her children, you don't have to feel sorry for them, but others can, regardless of how you think their relationship was.

Her reelection was achieved largely because of the victory in the Falklands, which most people now think was completely unnecessary and too many people died in it and too much money was spent. It was also often the case (still is sometimes) that the poorer classes felt they didn't have much of a voice and were unlikely to vote. It was them that suffered.

Most people NOW, if we all had the benefit of hindsight, we would be able to change so many things about this country. What about Blair and Iraq, Afghanistan was that necessary? EVERYONE had a voice everyone has a right to vote, and the ability to buy your council house was not a good think for the poorer classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->