RIP mrs thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think it's sad when people say terrible things about the elderly, regardless of their past. They are wise beyond our years and we should have respect.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. Evil people get old, and we should what...respect them just because they're old?
If Hitler had lived to a ripe old age, should people have started respecting him when he was in his 80s because he was "wise beyond our years", regardless of his past?
Absolutely not. An old person is an old person. Age has nothing to do with what kind of person they are or whether they should be respected. Some are wise, some are not. Some are good, some are not. Some are lovely, some are not. A person doesn't change who they are just because they lived a long time.

I respect people worthy of respect, regardless of age.

As for Maggie Thatcher, I don't think her decisions were even remotely "wise". I think she caused a lot of problems for people in her country - people who were looking up to her for leadership, and that makes for a very poor politician. Sure she stood up for what she believed in, but what she believed in was downright awful most of the time. Her being elderly doesn't change that in the slightest.

An old woman died, that's it. I have no more respect for her when she was old than I did when she was younger.

But nor am I glad she died. She just died. End of story.

I guess to me its a case of if you can't say anything nice than don't say anything at all when someone has passed away. I respect my elders, I have learnt a lot from them. I'd never 'dance on someones grave'. Its downright disrespectful not only to the person who has passed, but the people mourning.

If she was so bad, why was she elected 3 times by the public? I'm confused? I think it's awful some of the stuff that's been out on fb about her; quite shocking in fact.

And EXACTLY this! We, as a Nation Voted for her...THREE TIMES, and you know what, it would probably have been just as shitty if Labour were in too.

Look at the current legacy our politicians have left behind, look at the wonderful legacy Brown and Blair have left behind, a crippled economy and dodgy expenses claims, do we want our children celebrating THEIR deaths? Come on...

Her reelection was achieved largely because of the victory in the Falklands, which most people now think was completely unnecessary and too many people died in it and too much money was spent. It was also often the case (still is sometimes) that the poorer classes felt they didn't have much of a voice and were unlikely to vote. It was them that suffered.

Most people NOW, if we all had the benefit of hindsight, we would be able to change so many things about this country. What about Blair and Iraq, Afghanistan was that necessary? EVERYONE had a voice everyone has a right to vote, and the ability to buy your council house was not a good think for the poorer classes?

That is true, hindsight is such a wonderful thing

People forget its a shit job and you wont be thanked for it whatever you do, I could list a whole heap of bad decisions that Labour made, than the Tories made and what the Con-dems are making, but there are also positives in all of them too. You will NOT please everyone, and regardless, whoever it is, does not deserve grave dancing.

If she was so bad, why was she elected 3 times by the public? I'm confused? I think it's awful some of the stuff that's been out on fb about her; quite shocking in fact.

And EXACTLY this! We, as a Nation Voted for her...THREE TIMES, and you know what, it would probably have been just as shitty if Labour were in too.

Look at the current legacy our politicians have left behind, look at the wonderful legacy Brown and Blair have left behind, a crippled economy and dodgy expenses claims, do we want our children celebrating THEIR deaths? Come on...

Her reelection was achieved largely because of the victory in the Falklands, which most people now think was completely unnecessary and too many people died in it and too much money was spent. It was also often the case (still is sometimes) that the poorer classes felt they didn't have much of a voice and were unlikely to vote. It was them that suffered.

Most people NOW, if we all had the benefit of hindsight, we would be able to change so many things about this country. What about Blair and Iraq, Afghanistan was that necessary? EVERYONE had a voice everyone has a right to vote, and the ability to buy your council house was not a good think for the poorer classes?

Someone asked why she was elected if her policies weren't the best and I answered :wacko: And no, I don't agree with Iraq and Afghanistan either, but I don't see how that's relevant?

ETA: I was also not condoning 'grave dancing' either...

Someone asked why she was elected if her policies weren't the best and I answered :wacko: And no, I don't agree with Iraq and Afghanistan either, but I don't see how that's relevant?

Sorry, no, I didnt say her policies were the best, I said, why was she re elected. The falklands WIN couldnt have lasted 10 years?
The point I was trying to make was that any politician has crappy decisions to make whether Tory or Labour (i.e. The IRAQ war reference - under Blair), which doesn't make what the Tories did any worse than Labour. Thats the point I was trying to get at, whatever you do, your stuffed - your a politician.

I dont really care! I cant remember what she did as i was only little

The nation didn't vote for her. By 1987 the Tories had only 10 seats in Scotland.

Being able to buy council houses was not a good policy. The supposed profit that was to be used in building new homes just didn't happen. We are still living now with the legacy of that in this country.The demise of all heavy industrial destroyed communities. No mines, no steelworks, very little shipbuilding. Privatisation of the railways and commodities such as gas led to huge profit for big business. However, the rising prices we face today have their origins with the policy of the Thatcher Government. I could go on.

I'm too young to comment on the lady, my Dad was a miner though. I personally think it's sad when people say terrible things about the elderly, regardless of their past. They are wise beyond our years and we should have respect. A woman died today and there will be people mourning, we may feel indifferent about it, but we should give respect to those who do feel saddened.

Hugely disagree with you there. I don't feel the need to respect Maggie Thatcher at all, regardless of her age. A woman who stated Mandela was a terrorist, supported apartheid, rubbed shoulders with Ronald Reagan and Pinochet and brought down the unions will gain no respect from me. I don't agree with 'grave dancing' or celebrating the death of anyone either, but I believe everyone is entitled to voice how they feel about her, be it good or not so good.

I'm too young to comment on the lady, my Dad was a miner though. I personally think it's sad when people say terrible things about the elderly, regardless of their past. They are wise beyond our years and we should have respect. A woman died today and there will be people mourning, we may feel indifferent about it, but we should give respect to those who do feel saddened.

Hugely disagree with you there. I don't feel the need to respect Maggie Thatcher at all, regardless of her age. A woman who stated Mandela was a terrorist, supported apartheid, rubbed shoulders with Ronald Reagan and Pinochet and brought down the unions will gain no respect from me. I don't agree with 'grave dancing' or celebrating the death of anyone either, but I believe everyone is entitled to voice how they feel about her, be it good or not so good.

Agreed. Very little to respect.

Sorry, no, I didnt say her policies were the best, I said, why was she re elected. The falklands WIN couldnt have lasted 10 years?
The point I was trying to make was that any politician has crappy decisions to make whether Tory or Labour (i.e. The IRAQ war reference - under Blair), which doesn't make what the Tories did any worse than Labour. Thats the point I was trying to get at, whatever you do, your stuffed - your a politician.

The win amongst other things. People are reelected, doesn't mean they're wonderful. Look at both President Bushs.

Yes any politician can make bad decisions, most do, and yes it's a hard job and you're always gonna be criticised, and no it isn't appropriate IMO to glorify her death, however I think that many people feel that she was perhaps worse than other prime ministers for reasons stated by previous posters. I don't think we're actually disagreeing on much here, I'm certainly not condoning celebrating her death or judging her family relations.

The nation didn't vote for her. By 1987 the Tories had only 10 seats in Scotland.

Being able to buy council houses was not a good policy. The supposed profit that was to be used in building new homes just didn't happen. We are still living now with the legacy of that in this country.The demise of all heavy industrial destroyed communities. No mines, no steelworks, very little shipbuilding. Privatisation of the railways and commodities such as gas led to huge profit for big business. However, the rising prices we face today have their origins with the policy of the Thatcher Government. I could go on.

Yeah I live in a town devastated by failed steelworks, people from Scotland moved here for the work and then it was all closed down. Very low employment here now, piss poor house prices and I'm sure there are a few celebrations going on in the local pubs. Not exactly the nicest thing to think about but yeah, onwards and upwards.

I am welsh and both my granddads worked down the pit but I am not understanding all this hostility

she was the first and only female prime minister and kicked some butt and I have to respect her for that

Yeah I live in a town devastated by failed steelworks, people from Scotland moved here for the work and then it was all closed down. Very low employment here now, piss poor house prices and I'm sure there are a few celebrations going on in the local pubs. Not exactly the nicest thing to think about but yeah, onwards and upwards.

I live in an area destroyed when the pits shut. I remember my mum buying food to give to her friends to feed their families during the Miners' Strike. Within a few years these families had no breadwinner and many of them went on to long term unemployment.

I won't even start on the Poll Tax...

And I think that's the point, whoever you are your policies are not going to be popular, its easy for everyone to blame legacies prior to theirs, ultimately its not HER, as a person, she was only the figure head, its politics in general. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Couldn't we all argue politics as a benefit too though?
Unions were holding the country to ransom? How is that good for the economy?
Poll tax (now council tax) - How does the country get income?
Who wanted to invest in a country whose manufacturing was on constant strike?
You know - Its a a horses for courses, and as I say, I dont necessarily believe policies were good, but I believe she was a politician that had an unpopular job to do.

was the labour government before she came in quite bad, someone on fb said it was called the winter of discontent

forgive the questions but I am very clueless

was the labour government before she came in quite bad, someone on fb said it was called the winter of discontent

forgive the questions but I am very clueless

Absolutely - Under Callaghan

This is a great starting point to give an overview of unpopular/popular actions in politics, scroll to 1952 - Present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

I am leaning, much better than watching air crash investigation

Its times like this i wished id have paid more attention im History.

I feel like Brick in Anchorman.........Loudnoises!!

All i know is she stole my milk and never gave it back.

Love her or loath her she has certainly devided a nation today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"