Roxanne???

Resurrecting this thread as I had a boy all those years ago and now I'm expecting again we are considering Roxanne once again if baby is a girl! Our son is Ruari so would be nice to have another 'R' name. We'd likely call her Roxy/Roxie but her full name would be Roxanne. Interested in people's opinions on the name now?

Sarah xxx

I love the name Roxanne with the nickname of Roxy. I have an aunt named Roxanne and growing up she was called Roxy but now she goes by Renee... but I seriously love Roxanne.

It's not my cup of tea and it does make me think Prostitute/Red Light District but it's only because I'm an adult, I don't think her peers will have the same thought when they hear her name.

I want to like Roxy but it's my dad's dogs name so that's my only association unfortunately.

If you like it go for it!

It does sound like a stripper name to me, BUT... as others have said, I don't think children of her generation are necessarily going to have the same thoughts. I think it could actually be a cute sounding name that doesn't need to remind people of red light districts. Maybe your daughter will help 'redefine' the name :) ;)

I really like it, but I hear the song too...I doubt her peers would think that though.

My given name is Amber which is often given as stipper name, never had an issue with it and I know lots of Ambers.

ETA, on a list of 45 most popular stripper names, Amber is #3, Roxy/Roxanne is #29. LOL

I really like it, but I hear the song too...I doubt her peers would think that though.

My given name is Amber which is often given as stipper name, never had an issue with it and I know lots of Ambers.

ETA, on a list of 45 most popular stripper names, Amber is #3, Roxy/Roxanne is #29. LOL

Sorry, there's an actual list of the most popular stripper names? OMG :haha: is Skye number 1?

Sorry, there's an actual list of the most popular stripper names? OMG :haha: is Skye number 1?

Just googled "Amber stripped name" and clicked on top result, Skye wass on it but lower.

I found the list....Crystal and Tiffany take the top spots! Sorry OP got a little sidetracked on your thread. I only flicked through the top 20 and didn't see Roxanne!

I found the list....Crystal and Tiffany take the top spots! Sorry OP got a little sidetracked on your thread. I only flicked through the top 20 and didn't see Roxanne!

It was #29, LOL!

Probably my fault for the derail. Point being though, just because people think that kind of thing doesn't make it a bad name, like mine, lol!

Wow! I'd never have associated Amber with that sort of thing! But like some others the sting song does pop into my head with Roxanne however the only real life Roxy I know is a very attractive russian girl and I've never really thought of stripper when I see her!

Feels a little dated to me, but it's nice enough.

When we first met, my OH had a dog named Roxanne (called Roxie)... The first thing I did when I heard the name was sing the song. This was 7 years ago, though. My nephew is 14 and knows the song. My kids know the song because they've heard it dozens of times (although they don't know what the song is about yet!). It still plays on the radio where I live and was just used in a local commercial. If I were you, I'd ask cool parents of grade school kids whether or not their kids know the song. :) I think it's a timeless one and may have ruined that name forever. haha. But heck, it's a good song, and it's a good name.

I don't like it or any variations of it, personally.

I also think of the song and the first image that comes to mind is a girl with crazy 80s hair and a neon windbreaker. Sorry.

Someone sung it on The Voice last weekend and DH said "Oh look she's singing Roxanne" errrr yeah that's not a good thing dear! ������ I'm still undecided but have another 28 weeks to think about it!

Sarah xxx

Someone sung it on The Voice last weekend and DH said "Oh look she's singing Roxanne" errrr yeah that's not a good thing dear! ������ I'm still undecided but have another 28 weeks to think about it!

Sarah xxx

Maybe it was a sign :thumbup:

Even if the name does retain a little bit of its 'red light' reputation over the decades, I still think your daughter will still be her own person and will be known for her personality and behaviour, not her name. I can picture maybe close friends when she's grown up poking fun (endearingly of course) at her name if they know the reputation, but thats harmless of course.. I can't see there being any further harm than that really. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"