Santa coming twice?

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
This year will be the first time I haven't had the girls xmas eve/day. They will be staying at their dads and so I will probably collect them on boxing day. Last year we did the same but other way about, and he had the girls presents out for them getting to his, but I was thinking that maybe Santa could write them a note and leave it at mine, saying that as they weren't home, he would deliver their presents that night (boxing day) and so they would have the whole xmas eve experience again...

Is this a good/bad idea or should I stick with Santa only coming on xmas eve and have their presents out for them coming home? What does everyone else do when parents aren't living together?

I'd stick to doing the same as last year, especially given the age of your eldest - I was around that age when I started to question Santa being real!

I think the other Christmas experience and being overwhelmed would distract them from you reliving the Christmas Eve scenario.

When me and OH lived apart (DD was 3 at the oldest) we would have Christmas at his, then my mum would organise her presents for when we got back.

We do alternate years with DD and SD. When they're here Xmas eve we do a huge thing with Santa, he leaves snowy footprints etc, then they wake up to their presents. But the years we don't have them they usually arrive boxing day afternoon, and Santa has already been and left presents. We tried doing it as another Xmas eve, and letting them wake up to presents on the 27th, but they were too little to understand and thought Santa had forgotten our house. They're probably old enough to understand now, but we'll stick to them arriving home to a room with presents :) luckily this is our turn for Xmas eve and Xmas day, as FOB doesn't "do" Christmas like I do :haha:

I think it depends on whether you think your girls (well your eldest especially) will buy it. You know them so you can probably judge how likely this is. I know lots of people who don't live together do santa coming twice, you can knock up a cute fake letter on word and tie it in a scroll with a ribbon and stuff saying something like "I came round on Christmas Eve but you weren't here, so I'm having one of my elves make a special delivery on Boxing Day night. Make sure you're asleep early!" etc.
But if you think it'll cause suspicion OR if it's easier for you to just have the presents out (you could even do another note or letter saying, I came round but you weren't here so I left the rest of your presents here anyway" or whatever) you can still do that and it'll be exciting and special for them.

my DD will be 4 the week after Christmas and santa comes twice for her. I think she won't question it because it's been like this ever since her first Christmas.

we alternate years - this year she will be at her dad's on Christmas morning and i'll pick her up about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and we'll enjoy the rest of the day then santa will come at my house on boxing day morning :) I think it's way too much for her to have two santas in one day, and neither me nor FOB want to miss out on doing it every second year!

Thanks, I'm pretty sure my eldest wouldn't have any suspicions (she still firmly believes in everything!) but I think what you are saying about it being hard to relive xmas eve is probably true. They will be hyper and probably expect to come back here with presents waiting for them, especially as thats what happened last year.
We did spend the first two Christmases after we split together (he came here xmas eve and left on boxing day) but it was horrible and I just felt so awkward and uncomfortable and just couldn't relax and enjoy myself in his presence, so that's not an option. Regardless, I know the girls will enjoy Christmas at their dads (spoiled as always by his huge family) and I'll still get to play santa and see their little faces when they get back home <3

I think if DD and SD came home Xmas day, we may wait until that evening to put presents out. But them coming home boxing day and having to wait until the 27th for their gifts feels like too long. Next year we may have to rethink as we won't have DD or SD Xmas day, but it'll be our babies first Xmas, so want it to be special

Yes I would say he does both. I honestly do not think there is a right and wrong. Do what you wish x

I would probably have them come home to presents (depending what time they got home boxing day, if it was too late I'd do it the next morning). I would say santa left them Christmas Eve for them but he knew they wouldn't be here so left some at Daddy's house too.
Would the gifts they get at their dads be coming home with them or left at his. Could be quite overwhelming if they have their new opened gifts plus lots more to open when they got in.
Like a PP said there is no wrong way but can see why it feels quite tricky.

I would probably have them come home to presents (depending what time they got home boxing day, if it was too late I'd do it the next morning). I would say santa left them Christmas Eve for them but he knew they wouldn't be here so left some at Daddy's house too.
Would the gifts they get at their dads be coming home with them or left at his. Could be quite overwhelming if they have their new opened gifts plus lots more to open when they got in.
Like a PP said there is no wrong way but can see why it feels quite tricky.

Most of them will be staying at their dads, so will probably only bring home their main presents (dd1s hoverboard and dd2/3 their fliker scooters.) Thinking of it that way, probably best to have them waiting because don't want them to have nothing to play with for a whole day! I'll probably pick them up after lunch so plenty time to open pressies at home.
I think I will stick with him coming here on xmas eve, and presents waiting for them. They can put out reindeer food, Santas plate etc before they leave on xmas eve

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->