Santa... Real or Not?

Not that its ok to go around telling but kids will talk.

Yes, kids will talk. But in an ideal world surely us as parents are supposed to encourage our children to behave as responsible members of society sensitive to other's faiths, beliefs and ways of life. I guess its one of those things that we're going to have to deal with in a few years time but I'd rather not think about that yet.... enjoying the yummy baby days.... :baby:

xxx

Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of christmas, therefore is not a part of our holiday, and tradition.

Not gonna bother me one bit if my son tells his schoolmates that he doesn't exist. It's not his fault those kids parents lied to them. Pretty crappy thing to do imo just for the sake of "christmas magic".

Wow. It would be pretty awful if your child went around ruining Christmas for other kids. It surprises me that it wouldn't bother you if your lo made another child sad or cry!

My brother did, my parents got phone calls from a lot of angry parents, lol

Haha! Sorry but that did make me laugh! :rofl:

Not that its ok to go around telling but kids will talk.

Yes, kids will talk. But in an ideal world surely us as parents are supposed to encourage our children to behave as responsible members of society sensitive to other's faiths, beliefs and ways of life. I guess its one of those things that we're going to have to deal with in a few years time but I'd rather not think about that yet.... enjoying the yummy baby days.... :baby:

xxx

I do agree with you. I am not saying its ok for them to go around saying it to upset people but sadly it probably will happen in schools. I have seen many an angry parent on facebook ranting their kids have been told. I dont think its right to take it out on the kids if you dont agree with what the parents have done.

I hate this whole notion of parents 'lying'.

I'm sorry but does that mean that you won;t use the 'magic kiss' on a scraped knee? Or that vegetables will make you grow big and strong (kids imagine Popeye here, not just general health lol)?

St Nick was based on fact - that at Christmas there WAS a man who brought gifts to the children less fortunate. It was in a tiny village. In their eyes this was Father Christmas - spreading joy and cheer.

So yes - Christmas is about Jesus' birth (even though he was born in September but we wont go there) and I don't really buy into the gifts thing - its about family
But there is no harm in a child being excited about FC or the reindeer. How sad that you can't give your childs christmas a little magic and are happy for him to ruin it for everyone

Jeez.

Sorry I agree 100% with your husband and dad. I think the biggest part of christmas for children is santa! Leaving out stockings, food etc, writing their christmas lists and going to see him in the time leading to the holiday, imagine being the only child in the class that was never given a chance to believe in all that? No one should tell malicious lies but things like santa and the tooth fairy are part of the magic of being an imaginative child. I'll be doing anything and everything for my son, fantastic memories to be cherished :flower: x

EDIT: I never had the easter bunny and it doesn't seem to be as popular as others so that one is up for debate x

I was that child who's parents didn't allow to have some magic. I'm trying to make the holiday magical for my son because honestly I feel like I missed out on a lot. I never had pics taken as a child with santa or anything. I do feel somewhat deprived.

Sorry I agree 100% with your husband and dad. I think the biggest part of christmas for children is santa! Leaving out stockings, food etc, writing their christmas lists and going to see him in the time leading to the holiday, imagine being the only child in the class that was never given a chance to believe in all that? No one should tell malicious lies but things like santa and the tooth fairy are part of the magic of being an imaginative child. I'll be doing anything and everything for my son, fantastic memories to be cherished :flower: x

EDIT: I never had the easter bunny and it doesn't seem to be as popular as others so that one is up for debate x

I was that child who's parents didn't allow to have some magic. I'm trying to make the holiday magical for my son because honestly I feel like I missed out on a lot. I never had pics taken as a child with santa or anything. I do feel somewhat deprived.

I was that child too but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I'm really grateful that my parents didn't do the whole Santa thing with me and my brothers.

True meaning of Christmas is actually taken from Pagans, whole other thread though.

Regardless, that is the day we celebrate Christ's birth.

And who is to say that the Pagans didn't get it from somewhere else....? Say, Bethlehem, around 2000 years ago?

I can agree that many Christmas traditions are not bible based, but I stand by my belief of Christmas' true meaning as being the birth of Christ. :)

I have some really informative info on that but I dont think we need to steer the thread in the religion direction.

Why don't you start a thread on it in news and debates Dragonfly? Could be interesting...

There already is one....

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/n...g-santa-tooth-fairy-easter-bunny-your-lo.html

So far it's been civil, but never underestimate us bnbers..... :winkwink:

I don't see one debating the true meaning of Christmas

That one could go off course easily, like this one almost did :)

But you're right, not specifically for debating Christmas.

I might start one if Dragonfly doesn't, after I've done some research, if I get the time.

We don't do Santa in our family, I've just written a couple of posts explaining about it on my blog. The children still experience plenty of magical excitement and fun! We are also Christians, but don't really celebrate Christmas as a religious occasion.

Why not Santa?
A magical Christmas without Santa?

I was that child too but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I'm really grateful that my parents didn't do the whole Santa thing with me and my brothers.

Well my parents hated Christmas. I'm trying to make it different for my children.

And who is to say that the Pagans didn't get it from somewhere else....? Say, Bethlehem, around 2000 years ago?

The fact that the pagans mid-winter celebrations were happening a lot, LOT longer than 2000 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with people celebrating Christmas however they want, with Santa or not, with Jesus or not, it's up to them. But anyone who thinks that they are celebrating it the 'real' way and as such they don't care if their child ruins another child's celebration is nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->