Santa... Real or Not?

Sorry I agree 100% with your husband and dad. I think the biggest part of christmas for children is santa! Leaving out stockings, food etc, writing their christmas lists and going to see him in the time leading to the holiday, imagine being the only child in the class that was never given a chance to believe in all that? No one should tell malicious lies but things like santa and the tooth fairy are part of the magic of being an imaginative child. I'll be doing anything and everything for my son, fantastic memories to be cherished :flower: x

EDIT: I never had the easter bunny and it doesn't seem to be as popular as others so that one is up for debate x

I was that child who's parents didn't allow to have some magic. I'm trying to make the holiday magical for my son because honestly I feel like I missed out on a lot. I never had pics taken as a child with santa or anything. I do feel somewhat deprived.

I was that child too but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I'm really grateful that my parents didn't do the whole Santa thing with me and my brothers.

Well my parents hated Christmas. I'm trying to make it different for my children.

Well thats different. My parents still loved Christmas, they just didn't want to lie.

Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of christmas, therefore is not a part of our holiday, and tradition.

Not gonna bother me one bit if my son tells his schoolmates that he doesn't exist. It's not his fault those kids parents lied to them. Pretty crappy thing to do imo just for the sake of "christmas magic".

Shocking, even when my son discovers that there is no santa I would discourage him for spoiling it for other people or if I have any more children I wouldn't want the older ones ruining the fun for the tiddlers! Also, I'm not religious in anyway shape or form but would I go around telling other people it's a load of rubbish? No, because that's not my place

If you don't want to do the whole santa thing then fair enough, that's your call but the fact you wouldn't want him to respect other people's feelings and beliefs is pretty appalling.

True meaning of Christmas is actually taken from Pagans, whole other thread though.

Regardless, that is the day we celebrate Christ's birth.

And who is to say that the Pagans didn't get it from somewhere else....? Say, Bethlehem, around 2000 years ago?

I can agree that many Christmas traditions are not bible based, but I stand by my belief of Christmas' true meaning as being the birth of Christ. :)

If you follow the timeline of the feasts and the conceptions as written in the Bible, Christ would've definitely been born in December near-ish to Christmas. Nevertheless, like with Easter (which we celebrate religiously, but also include a basket and an egg hunt) many holidays are mostly a mix of past and present, religious and pagan. You cannot change that fact, and it shouldn't be terribly disturbing. To each is own. :)

True meaning of Christmas is actually taken from Pagans, whole other thread though.

Regardless, that is the day we celebrate Christ's birth.

And who is to say that the Pagans didn't get it from somewhere else....? Say, Bethlehem, around 2000 years ago?

I can agree that many Christmas traditions are not bible based, but I stand by my belief of Christmas' true meaning as being the birth of Christ. :)

If you follow the timeline of the feasts and the conceptions as written in the Bible, Christ would've definitely been born in December near-ish to Christmas. Nevertheless, like with Easter (which we celebrate religiously, but also include a basket and an egg hunt) many holidays are mostly a mix of past and present, religious and pagan. You cannot change that fact, and it shouldn't be terribly disturbing. To each is own. :)

The only way to date Jesus' birth date is by the fact that he was conceived six months after his cousin John. John was conceived shortly after his father Zacharias was on duty in the temple, but this happened twice a year so it could either have been May/June or Oct/Nov. Therefore the most likely dates for Jesus' birth are late September or late December. There is circumstantial evidence to support both birth dates but more in favour of September. However, as the Bible doesn't actually say how long after Zacharias' temple service John was conceived, it's impossible to know for sure.

I honestly don't think it matters which day of the year Jesus was born; some say spring and some say winter. He was born and someone, somewhere picked 25 December. Okay. Christmas celebrates his birth, whenever it was!

We are all going to tell white lies to our kids at some point and I was never scarred for life when I found out Santa wasn't real, or I would be able to see in the dark if I ate my carrots, or crusts make your hair curly (little off topic sorry lol) let kids be kids and believe what they want to believe they grow up way to fast these days as it is DD1 is 6 and acts like a 12 year old sometimes that it scares me lol, I would also be mortified if the girls told anyone Santa wasn't real that believed x

Adding fuel to the fire *cough* The reason that Jesus' birthday was set as December 25th was so they could convert more Pagans by not getting rid of their festivals. Just sayin'.....

Anyways, I won't say that Santa is real or fake. We can do all the lists and the cookies and that.

Hopefully our generation can take the anger out of religion and just respect that people have the right to believe however. :)

Hopefully our generation can take the anger out of religion and just respect that people have the right to believe however. :)

It's not disrespect! It's fact. :shrug: People can believe what they want to believe. It's ignorance and closed minded people that bother me the most.

I'm still on the tense about Santa, thus far my son believes because its all over the tv and I think Santa exists in the sense he is the magic of Christmas.

But the true meaning isn't forgotten either, as for the argument on date, I think it's well known that isn't the day of his actual birth, but dec 25th is the day when he celebrate it.

It's not disrespect! It's fact. :shrug: People can believe what they want to believe. It's ignorance and closed minded people that bother me the most.

I think that's unfair to call people closed mind and ignorant because they don't believe exactly what you do, surly that makes you that.

I love to learn about other beliefs, all beliefs, I accept all have their merit, I choose to practice my religion because it answer my questions and it feels right, if it didn't I would look somewhere else. It's not that I am closed minded or scared. I am also scientific and well educated, I enjoy learning and love science.

Why are you so a a a angry that people don't believe in nothing?

I think that's unfair to call people closed mind and ignorant because they don't believe exactly what you do, surly that makes you that.

I love to learn about other beliefs, all beliefs, I accept all have their merit, I choose to practice my religion because it answer my questions and it feels right, if it didn't I would look somewhere else. It's not that I am closed minded or scared. I am also scientific and well educated, I enjoy learning and love science.

I wasn't referring to you at all. The poster and I spoke via PM and sorted things out. I'm not angry at all anyways. Determining tone based off a forum post probably isn't the wisest of things.

Ooh this appears to have got heated since my last vist- who'd have thought it here in baby club?! ;) anyway, Santa is real, I've seen him today! :) xx

Oh bugger! Baby brain in its finest! Haha you know what I mean! :)

Funny how things turn out eh? This thread was posted so that I could ask peoples opinion on whether or not its wrong of me to not want to tell my daughter that Santa is real... Not that I wanted to tell her he wasnt, just that I didnt want to tell her the lie. When shes older and understands tv and what Santa is, then if she beleives, im not going to ruin that for her, I just wont be going around putting out 'reindeer food', pouring glittery footprints on the floor and stomping around on the roof to keep her blelieving. If she asks me questions about him, ill just answer the way I see best, whether thats asking her what she thinks, or simply saying 'i have no idea lovely'.
I didnt really expect it to get into a debate about religion. I was genuinely just asking opinions.
Only on BnB could I post in baby club for advice, and have the thread moved to news and debates because thats what it became. :haha:

Nope you will find all over the net Santa is a hot topic! It makes ma laugh though all the upset Santa causes.

Same. No one gets their panties in a bundle debating if they want their kids believing in Superman or Peter Pan. :dohh:

I wasn't referring to you at all. The poster and I spoke via PM and sorted things out. I'm not angry at all anyways. Determining tone based off a forum post probably isn't the wisest of things.

Lol, don't know what my iPad was doing buy a a a a angry, lol:haha:

I was just going with the narrow minded and ignorant, which seemed to be directed at all religious people.

I wasn't meaning to jump on you, just trying to say, that just because sometime believes on something does not mean they are narrow minded or ignorant, you believe in the non existence of a god to, same thing.

Anyway, sorry if you felt jumped on :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"