• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Saw a young girl stealing..

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
From next with two children who looked about 6-8
She looked young herself, probably no older than 20

So I was in next and she was standing next to me, smiled at me and then ripped the tag off these trousers for boys and shoved it up her coat! She saw me looking and didn't care at all, the trousers were £13 but who does that especially with such young children?!! The little kids were saying "what are we getting for the baby"
She just walked straight out of the store, it proper shocked me.

I didn't see a point in telling the staff as she walked out, what would you of done?

Definitely would've mentioned it to the staff. It's not right. And I'm sure I'll get jumped on for this but even if she needed to clothe the boys or whoever she was stealing for it's still no exception, they have charities for that.

I work in retail and you'd be surprised, the amount of mums young and older who used the pram to smuggle stuff out! I've seen everyone steal from young mums, to older gentle men in suits, bit sad really :-(

That's awful! What message does that give to her kids? It will just be the norm for them :(

I would have told the staff to be honest. HATE thieves.

She must be totally desperate! I still would have mentioned it though! I used to work in a chemist and the boxes of infacol had tags on them...one day date checking i noticed ALL the boxes were empty! Someone had opened them all up and swiped them! I was annoyed, but then felt so sorry for that little baby growing up whos mum is so desperate that she had to steal colic medicine! Its a crazy world, but there are always other options to theft!

I think her smiling at me was maybe a way of her thinking I won't tell, I really wanted to tell but when I saw she had left the store I just thought forget it, maybe atleast mentioning it to them would of been better

Its a shame, because as much as I would like to believe that it was 'poor woman' I am afraid that its likely most of these things are not, but sell on to make money. Re the infacol, if she was that desperate, you can get it prescribed from the Drs for free.

In all honesty, if it was me, I may well have said something to her. I too hate theives.

Meh, I don't care. I'd have left her to it - there are worse things.

I wouldn't feel sorry for her: you can get nearly new or even new clothes from the charity shop for about £2. Even on benefits, that is affordable! There is absolutely no need to steal to provide for your children in the UK. Even new supermarket brands are so cheap!

I probably wouldn't have had the guts to stop her, though I would have told staff so that they could keep an eye on her should she come back!

Meh, I don't care. I'd have left her to it - there are worse things.

If your child is caught doing that one day and brought home by the police- will you have the same attitude? I can only hope not.

Edited to add: I would of mentioned something- they could check CCTV and she could be known to them/police and possibly social services. I don't mean to portray a stigma- but its quite likely isn't it?

I would have told the staff what I had seen. That is a seriously poor message that she is giving the children. They probably have cctv if they know what they're looking for. I have difficulty believing she would have been stealing them 'for the baby' if you're that desperate you'd probably be stealing food not trousers from next! She was probably taking them to sell on.

She must be totally desperate! I still would have mentioned it though! I used to work in a chemist and the boxes of infacol had tags on them...one day date checking i noticed ALL the boxes were empty! Someone had opened them all up and swiped them! I was annoyed, but then felt so sorry for that little baby growing up whos mum is so desperate that she had to steal colic medicine! Its a crazy world, but there are always other options to theft!

Wow! They must be extremely desperate and quite sad really, such a shame cause some people steal for the sake of stealing not cause they actually need these things

It is sad that she was that desperate and would resort to shoplifting. I feel sorry for the kids :(

From next with two children who looked about 6-8
She looked young herself, probably no older than 20

So I was in next and she was standing next to me, smiled at me and then ripped the tag off these trousers for boys and shoved it up her coat! She saw me looking and didn't care at all, the trousers were £13 but who does that especially with such young children?!! The little kids were saying "what are we getting for the baby"
She just walked straight out of the store, it proper shocked me.

I didn't see a point in telling the staff as she walked out, what would you of done?

Hi! This is totally off topic but i just had to tell you i adore your screen-name, Babyjan! I actually call my DH that and he thinks its weird combination! Glad someone says it like that too!:)

I would have told the store staff too.
If she's teaching her young children that's its acceptable to steal, what else is she teaching them? Those poor children surely deserve a better start in life, otherwise what hope have they got for their future.

I would have told the staff about it. I worked in retail management for a long time. Shrink (what people steal, what's damaged in shipment, etc.) is a huge deal in retail. It can effect promotions, raises, how much shipment we get (the higher the shrink - the less things are actually selling, which reflect badly on the store).

There were employees that were actually terminated when our shrink was higher. If you inform them, they may have cameras and they can alert authorities or security if it's in a mall. If they're not able to do that, then they can at least write it down as known loss.

It's frustrating. I had to go to court a lot to testify against thieves. I also had to walk out with security every night because I received a lot of threats from people who stole that I caught. Soo glad I don't have to deal with it anymore!

:hugs:

I would have told the staff about it. I worked in retail management for a long time. Shrink (what people steal, what's damaged in shipment, etc.) is a huge deal in retail. It can effect promotions, raises, how much shipment we get (the higher the shrink - the less things are actually selling, which reflect badly on the store).

There were employees that were actually terminated when our shrink was higher. If you inform them, they may have cameras and they can alert authorities or security if it's in a mall. If they're not able to do that, then they can at least write it down as known loss.

It's frustrating. I had to go to court a lot to testify against thieves. I also had to walk out with security every night because I received a lot of threats from people who stole that I caught. Soo glad I don't have to deal with it anymore!

aww that must of been scary :hugs:

aww that must of been scary :hugs:
It was sometimes. I tried to act tough. :haha: When I got pregnant though I stopped catching shoplifters, which messed with my job a lot. When I was 12 weeks pregnant I was told I could either work at another store or be let go, so I just left. I wasn't willing to put myself at risk while I was pregnant!

People are crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->