Scan question

Babylove100

Reaction score
Hi Ladies. So I had my first scan yesterday. By lmp I was 7+6 but if I go by Approx O date I could have been only 7 or 7+1. Anyway it wasn't good news as she could only see a gestational sac which she said measured approx 6 weeks (19mm x 8mm x 17mm) no yolk sac seen and no "definite" fetal pole seen. She literally did a quick tummy u/s, it must have been seconds, then said she'd need to to a vaginal u/s. Which lasted all of 2-3mins. She asked me to lift my bum, which was hard considering there was a huge wand inside me! Anyway she took a couple of measurement, hardly moved the wand, said she thought she may see a flicker then that was it. All over. I did say is it a possible blighted ovum as I was pretty sure of my dates and she said it could be or I was just too early. I'm not trying to get my hopes up but as this is my first ever pregnancy (apart from a cp the cycle before this bfp) I'm not really sure of anything. I got my bfp on 12th Feb. anyway just wondered what you all think, good or bad. Thanks in advance :flower:

I've no idea as I'm so clueless about this stuff but I'll be following to see what response you get.

In a very similar situation except I thought I was just over eight weeks. I'm being rescanned tuesday. She thought she could see a ''shadow'' of something but didn't elaborate. Just an empty sac measuring 5-6 weeks.

When are you being rescanned?

Hi Natasha. I'm not sure yet. I texted my midwife yesterday but haven't heard back yet so hopefully will hear tomorrow and can see where we go. Hate all this limbo!! I googled the sac measurements and they vary for 6w to 7w so it's all a bit confusing given if I go by O I could have only been 7w1d. Trying not to give myself any false hope but it's all new to me so I just want to understand it all as best I can!! Knowledge is power and all that!!
Keeping everything crossed for good news at your scan! :hugs:

Completely understand what you mean. Keep me updated? Would be nice to know how you get on too xx

I've got my fingers crossed for you hun! When I had my last scan, we saw heartbeats, but the babies were measuring at 1wk less than what I had my dates as :) Sometimes they take a little time to catch up. When I had my first scan, the sonographer wanted to see more, so scheduled another for 2wks time. I'm surprised they didn't do the same for you xx

If you got your BFP on the 12th, then you could be 6 weeks, and at 6 weeks I see people post about seeing everything including hb and people posting they didn't see much at all and end up seeing everything the next scan. It's so iffy this early. I had a scan at 5w6d, but measured 6w2d (must ovulate earlier in cycle) and saw heartbeat, but like i said, not everyone does. And you mentioned her being quick with the scan, but they really don't need much time to see stuff at this point. It's only when you have more there that needs measuring that scans take more time. And with transvaginal, they won't need to move the probe around much once they find the sac. GL and hope you see a lot more on your next scan.

Thanks ladies. It so awful being in this limbo. I still can't figure out how I'd only be 6 weeks though? I know I could be 7 weeks but not sure where I can justify another lost week.

I know its hard, but try not to worry at this stage. Measuring a week out either side is totally normal at any stage of pregnancy, and even up to two weeks in the beginning isn't necessarily a bad situation.
For starters, babies all grow at different rates. The measurements are based off averages so there are always going to be babies who are significantly larger or significantly smaller than average (just as full term birth weights can vary so widely. 10 babies born at the same gestation could easily have 3-4lbs different between the smallest and largest). So if a baby is measuring ahead or behind where it would be expected to, it doesn't necessarily mean it is ahead or behind either, just that its bigger or smaller than average. But ovulation and implantation dates can have a big influence too as 6-12dpo is the normal timeframe for implantation.
Then theres the fact that at this gestation the tiniest slip can lead to inaccurate gestation calculation based on measurements. It sounds like the sonographer was in a hurry and possibly not measuring as precisely as she could have.
Hopefully a re scan in a week or two will show a positive outcome :hugs:

Following as I am nervously awaiting a rescan as I should be 6 but measured 5. :-( xx

Ah sorry to hear your going through this too! The uncertainty is so hard! :hugs:

Oh hunnie, so confusing.... Just wondering how you knew you Ovulated? Were you charting? OPK's? Body Sign's? etc

Also whats your Normal Cycles like? Are they fairly long?

If you go by your 1st Positive BFP (9DPO as you have marked it), i work ovulation as 2nd of Feb which of course would put you at 7+weeks... But you might not of actually been 9DPO when you got your 1st Positive BFP, if you were more towards 14DPO when you got the 1st BFP, then that would make sense of measuring 6weeks ish...

It can also just be that its small growing baby... Ive seen it loads of times on BNB where women will have very early scans and see just a sac at 6weeks, and other women will go and see everything!!! Yolk sac, Fetal Pole etc. I was pooping myself when i went in my last pregnancy with my daughter (i had a blighted ovum discovered at 13weeks, just before her) so was petrified of seeing nothing. I would of loved a early scan with this pregnancy... but I'm so glad my Midwife talked me out of it, as a day can make such a HUGE change in what you can or won't see...

Ive got everything crossed that its either just dates, crappy machine, or crappy sonographer x

My scan at 7w1d was a vaginal scan because the doctor said otherwise they may not see much. And if your dates are out by even a few days it could be too early. Sending love and praying for a positive ending x

I only tracked by using opks, I had a pos opk on 2nd and 3rd Feb. I had some stronger ones earlier in the cycle but not quite positive if I remember correctly. Because I had a bfp in Jan that cycle ended up being 35days I think so I'm really not even sure how long my cycle would have been this time if I'd not got a bfp on 12th Feb. it's l very confusing and I'm not sure if this info helps or makes a difference to how far along I can. I see what you mean that if I was 14dpo instead or 9dpo that could be a weeks difference to what I thought. I guess the limbo contines. I really hope I speak to my midwife today and get a NHS scan booked in!x

I measured behind in my first scan with my first. We were 6 weeks by my dates and I'd had a small bleed so they did a scan to check. She saw the sac and nothing else. She was really lovely though and spent a bit of extra time to do the internal one. It took a little longer but we saw the little flickering heart beat. However she told me "there's no way you're 6 weeks, more like 5". *shrugs* All I know is at the next scan we saw our little one doing like bounces in there! So try not to worry, it's so early and so easy to measure a bit behind.

EDIT - Also just to note my dates were never in line with their dates all the way along. I learnt to just nod and smile. In the end she was super late anyway!

Thanks flamingpanda. If only my previous cycle hadn't been a chemical I might be a bit more sure of my dates. I'm still confused how if I got my bfp on 12 Feb I could be only 6 weeks. My head hurts trying to figure it all out!!!

Okay managed to get through to the epu, she was so lovely and said try not to worry but I'm going for a scan on 27th March so they can see if anything has developed. If any happens before then I'm to ring them straight away so as they will need to see me sooner. Feel better now I have a plan!!x

That's the day after mine Babylove. You can wait with me if you like? Xx
I have been going around and around in my head trying to work out dates etc. the only thing that I can think of is that I was actually closer to 5.5 weeks which would make my + hpt feasible. I just don't know. I am praying that we both have growth the week after next for our little beans. Xx

Definitely happy to wait it out with you and fx for us both!!x

At the moment I am trying to stay positive and obviously trying to put it to the back of my mind. I am now a compulsive knicker checker as I am worried about miscarriage which is a pain, but i just can't help it. My scan is the day before DH birthday and it will obviously ruin it if it's bad news. I would have had a private scan this week but on DH day off we have to wait in all day for a cooker to be delivered and installed. *sigh*
I was thinking that a week should see growth and we could have prepared ourselves for before his birthday. I guess it's only 10 more days and I have already had 5 days pass since our first scan so I am breaking it down into little chunks of waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->