Sending LO to nursery with a cold

i hate it when eople bring here children places when there ill ive actually moved my lo away from peoples children who are ill. i dont send lo to nursery but if i did i def wouldnt send him to nursery or school wth a cold. its dif its just a tiny bit or s runny nose but when there eyes are running there snot is bright green and they have a barking cough its not fair on others around the child as toddlers dont know to wash there hands wipe there noses when there only little.

I dont even go to toddler groups if the boys have a bad cold - its just not fair imo. Although it would be a different story if I had to go to work and as a consequence take time off. xxxxx

I don't work and i have sent DS to playschool with a cold.
I have never sent him if he's had a temperature, even slightly high and i would never send him until 48 hours after the last time he was sick. If he has a cold and its obvious that he's struggling then i would also keep him off.

Especially in their first year at playschool they have a lot of colds/coughs and if one was to keep their child off every time then they probably not go more than one day a week (assuming they don't go full time, DS just went 2 mornings to start with and then 3 mornings)

I always send amelie to nursery with a cold unless shes feeling unwell. I can't afford to take time off work and I pay that nursery nearly £40 a day.. shes bloody going unless her leg is hanging off or something.

:rofl:

I always send amelie to nursery with a cold unless shes feeling unwell. I can't afford to take time off work and I pay that nursery nearly £40 a day.. shes bloody going unless her leg is hanging off or something.

:rofl:

Ha ha - this made me laugh!

I agree though. If Madeline has a cold but is well in herself and hasn't got a temperature, off to nursery she goes. To be honest, I've never even considered not sending her when she's had a snotty nose and the sneezes. It's only a cold - I just couldn't keep her off with every snuffle, I would never be in work at that rate!

After working in a daycare and seeing kids come in with constant colds and bugs and spread it amongst all the other kids, I decided to be a SAHM. I understand if you cannot afford to take off work but if you are at home, why not keep your LO home with you? I would not want to go to school or work when I am under the weather. :shrug:

I'd send Luka, unless he was feverish, or miserable. I'd probably lose my job if I kept him home everytime he had a cold. Plus most times things are contagious before any symptoms are shown.

I send Quintin to daycare with cold as long as isn't VERY sick.
I can't take the time off school and I have no one else to watch him.
He was sick last week and i let him stay home one day to rest then sent him the next day . I told daycare and they said if they think is too ill they will call me on my cell at school they didn't

Im not working this afternoon, and LO has a running nose but im still sending him to nursery. There isn't anything else wrong with him so don't see the point in him being at home

If my son is eating, sleeping and playing normally I will send him. If he is unhappy and clingy or has a temp then he stays home - especially if he's not sleeping. Thats a big sign that Bun isn't feeling well enough to go. Otherwise he is ok to go - they can have runny noses/coughs for weeks on end so he wouldn't ever get to go lol.

This is for colds only though - if it was a sickness bug I would never let him go until all symptoms were totally gone and he was back to normal. Even if that means keeping him home an extra day or 2 to be sure. xx

After working in a daycare and seeing kids come in with constant colds and bugs and spread it amongst all the other kids, I decided to be a SAHM. I understand if you cannot afford to take off work but if you are at home, why not keep your LO home with you? I would not want to go to school or work when I am under the weather. :shrug:

That's the thing - generally most of us would go into work if they had a cold. I know that when i was working i'd have to be unable to get out of bed in order for me not to go.

That's the thing - generally most of us would go into work if they had a cold. I know that when i was working i'd have to be unable to get out of bed in order for me not to go.

I know it is not realistic- that is why I said I wouldn't want to. :haha: I don't think it is bad for a kid to go to school with a cold but if the mom is home, why not keep the child home. (Does that make sense? Wasn't trying to bash working moms :flower:)

Tbh I think that it depends on how bad the cold is. We always had to get out of bed and carry on as normal school/work even if we had a cold because generally you can and are capable of carrying on. If it gets worse where you are really straining with it then its home for resting. Also I tend to feel worse if im stuck at home. I actually start feeling better quicker when Im out and about.

i used to say I would keep emma off, but not now. If she is eating and generally happy but has a snotty nose or cough she will go. We cant afford to be off work with her till she is 100% better as i KNOW she will just catch something again. 1 week off unpaid for me would really screw us over.

This is what I do. I send my kids unless they have thick green snot, because that is just disgusting, and nobody wants to wipe green boogies all day long. I keep them home if they have fevers (and I wait for them to be 24 hours fever free), vomitting, diarhhea. Mild colds or clear runny noses, I send them. But, I wouldn't worry about who is passing it to whom...chances are your kid has picked the germs up before the kids even know they are sick!

Its fine to send children to nursery with a cold - as long as its just a simple cold.

When children start nursery they are exposed to a lot more children and therefore germs than ever so they often have a long period whereby they seem to pick up everything going - whilst this is a pain it actually builds their immunity !

You cannot avoid exposure to everything no matter how careful you are.

You tend to get to very different types of parents in this situation, at nursery:

The 'over reactors' their child has a snotty nose that means no water play no garden time wraped up in several layers, days off etc.

The 'under reactors' - they bring their children in come rain or shine even when the children have clearly been very ill, they often dose them up on calpol to get them through the door then lo and behold 3 hours or so later the child is sick, miserable etc and no one can get their to pick them up.

I know it is not realistic- that is why I said I wouldn't want to. :haha: I don't think it is bad for a kid to go to school with a cold but if the mom is home, why not keep the child home. (Does that make sense? Wasn't trying to bash working moms :flower:)

I know you're not bashing anyone.

Would just like to add though that as a SAHM i'm actually out quite a bit doing other bits and pieces which i have to do while my eldest is at school. To have him stay at home when he's not actually properly ill could cause me as many problems as someone who is having to take time off work.

Thomas isn't in nursery but if he was I would certainly still send him if he had a cold. I would never think of missing work myself because of a cold and we were always sent to school with a cold as children. So to be honest it would never have occurred to me to keep him home with a cold. I find that his colds can drag on for weeks and I don't think it would be fair on him to keep him at home for all that time once he was feeling well in himself. Besides which I wouldn't be able to take so much time off work. I wouldn't send him if he had a temperature or was miserable or clingy or needing Calpol to get through the day. I also wouldn't send him if he had vomiting/diarrhoea either.

This is my biggest fear :nope: sending LO to nursery or playschool while children are there with colds :nope: Its the main reason ive never really taken him to any baby groups :nope: In fact if i noticed a child had a streaming cold i may even consider pulling my LO out of nursery to avoid it :blush:

Im not sure who is in the right tbh..from my own point of view i would agree with op..id rather a child with a cold be kept at home..but i know deep down children are children and they pass things on to eachother..

The thing with exposure and getting colds etc.....all children have to go through it at sometime to build up immunity. I'd rather it happened now than when he started school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->