• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sensitive kids group

As a newborn, Thomas didn't really open his eyes for the first couple of weeks. Even when he was awake, he kept his eyes almost closed or would just half open one eye. I only have one or two photos of him with his eyes open as a newborn and they were all taken in the evening in relatively dim light.

For the first week or so, he slept almost all the time, but after that his sleep became a big issue. He was very wakeful and very difficult to settle to sleep. He would be awake all evening from about 6 p.m. until well after midnight, crying and fussing and just wanting to comfort feed constantly. He was very difficult to breastfeed (compared to Clara) as I could never tell if he was hungry or just wanting comfort. I worried constantly that I wasn't producing enough milk and that my boobs were empty. He would often feed pretty much constantly for over five hours. All he wanted was to be on the breast but it didn't settle him and he would pull off and cry repeatedly. I used to dread the evenings. He didn't sleep very much during the day either and it was always a battle to get him to sleep. For the first few months he slept well in the pram and I used to walk for miles with him to get him to nap. Looking back on it now, I think he was chronically over-tired for the first four months of his life. He looks absolutely exhausted in every single video I have of that period. He was difficult to read though and didn't really have obvious tired signs and I could never tell why he was crying, it was just guesswork. He also had a lot of difficulties with wind and digestion. Everything bothered him as a newborn. He was sensitive to bright lights, sounds, heat, cold, wind blowing on his face, etc.

He was always very sensitive to light and he would screw up his face and cry if sunlight went on his face. It would wake him if he was asleep, even as a newborn. As he got older, even a chink of light from behind the blackout curtains would wake him. He still is sensitive to light and complains that it hurts his eyes. He doesn't sleep well unless the room is totally dark.

After he was four months, he wouldn't really sleep except in the cot. He would sleep in the car if a long journey coincided with naptime, but he wouldn't generally sleep in the buggy and definitely not in your arms. He wouldn't fall asleep if there was anybody in the room with him. He became a very light sleeper. He was very aware of sounds and noises from outside/downstairs/next door would always wake him. He was a short napper for ages and would wake up after 45 minutes still exhausted. I could never check on him after he went to bed as it would always wake him and it would then take ages for him to go back to sleep. This has changed as he got older and I wouldn't call him a light sleeper now.

He took ages to get into a regular routine but he was very sensitive to over-tiredness. He didn't have visible tired signs so I had to just go by the length of time he had been awake. If I put him down too late he wouldn't go to sleep. He became hysterical when over-tired. We always had to leave play-dates etc. early so we could get home for his nap. He couldn't really handle disruptions to his routine, e.g. later bedtimes, as they really affected his overall sleep and his mood the next day. He's always needed a lot of sleep. He tried to drop his nap recently but wasn't able to cope so he's back napping again now every day.

He is naturally cautious and we never needed to child-proof the house because you only needed to tell him not to touch something once and he never would. He never had bumps or grazes even when learning to walk. If you explain the reason for something then he will just do it - he likes rules and tends to follow them.

He is an introvert. I wouldn't call him shy but he doesn't really know how to relate to other children unless he knows them well and they have a similar temperament to him. As a baby, we always had to work really hard to get him to smile or laugh, and he would never smile or say hello to the neighbours, even though he saw them every day. He won't talk to people if he doesn't want to. But if he likes somebody, he will talk to them non-stop about everything. He loves facts and learning the names of things. He will tell people all about narwhales and insect-eating plants, much to their surprise!

He's sensitive to people's moods and he doesn't like shouting and he picks up on tones of voice. I have never needed to use any punishments as he is generally strongly affected by a verbal reprimand. He usually tries to behave well and he wants to do what is expected of him. Like Omar, he is also a bit of a perfectionist and like to practice in private before trying something in public. He likes to stand back and watch rather than joining in.

He doesn't generally cope well with transitions but he copes much better if I explain to him in minute detail what will be happening and when. He doesn't handle unexpected events well. But if I've told him about something in advance, then even if he doesn't like it he can cope with it better. If he's a bit worried about something he will want to talk about it again and again. For example, he has to go for blood tests in the morning and he asked me about ten times what he was doing tomorrow and where he would have to go and what would happen next etc. I think it is his way of preparing himself.

He's not particularly sensitive about clothing, although he is fussy about socks, particularly the seams inside them and not having them pulled up his legs. Also he will often not want to wear new clothes until they have been in his chest of drawers for a few weeks. In the summer he didn't want to wear short-sleeved tops at first and kept trying to pull them down over his arms. Then when he got used to them he didn't want to wear long-sleeved tops.

He's quite a picky eater although this is improving. He mainly doesn't like particular textures. He doesn't like sauce or "slimy" foods. He won't eat cereal if it has gone at all soggy from the milk. He hates mince in any form. He has never really asked for food and doesn't seem to realize when he's hungry, even though it has an obvious impact on his behaviour when he hasn't eaten.

He's never really had proper tantrums but he does get emotionally over-whelmed, usually when he's tired and/or hungry and overstimulated. On the whole, he's an easy toddler as long as we stick to his routine and let him know exactly what's coming next.

Wow, that was exhausting writing all that out!

Daisybee, yes from what you have written Jordan definitely does sound sensitive. It's great that she's not over-stimulated most of the time and that is probably also helping her to be more easy-going and calmer. I totally understand what you are saying about less attention possibly being a blessing in disguise. I think when Thomas was a baby I really felt that I needed to be stimulating him all the time that he was awake, showing him books and toys etc. and it was all just way too much. Clara definitely gets much less stimulation and I think it's actually better for her.

I am excited to see what Clara's personality will be like! She is totally different to Thomas as a newborn - she is a really easy baby, everything has just come easily with her. Breastfeeding is easy, sleep is easy, she is already falling into a reasonably regular routine. She first smiled at under four weeks and smiles literally all the time. She smiles freely at everybody. She is definitely less sensitive to bright lights than Thomas was. But I do think that part of the reason that she is so easy is because she sleeps so well and has rarely become over-tired.

It's amazing how Megan is so similar to what I'm reading and yet again so different. Lol when reading about Omar and thomas I would think oh that's just like Megan. But then each of you would say something that isn't like her as well. It shows what individuals they are doesn't it! She is not an easy toddler. She pushes the boundaries every single chance she gets. She is maybe just starting to outgrow the need to bolt anytime we are out of the house. We fenced in the backyard this summer as I was so tired of running after her. If we go anywhere her goal was to run. She's not running away from us or towards anything, but just runs. She is very feisty and stubborn.

Megan is sensitive to light just like Thomas. Its why she wears sunglasses almost every single occasion when leaving the house. Playing outside, at the zoo, in the car. She was the only toddler this summer at the park toddler class that had a hat and sunglasses. She wore hers every time, and no other child wore either even once. Lol
We even put black tape over the light on her monitor and white noise machine as a baby or she would stare at them at night. She still prefers pitch dark room.

She is doing so much better as she gets older. Like Polaris said about explaining everything, that's what we do. It helps so much. She wants to be informed about all things we will be doing. She hates surprises. Transitions are going better then they ever used to, and I think it's age and the warnings we give about what we are doing next and how long.

Megans issue with tags and things being scratchy is something new. I can't remember when it started but I don't remember it being an issue when she was younger. I'm not sure if it bugged her and she just never let on or wasn't able to articulate it or if it's really a new thing.

Polaris - I just noticed you have a journal :dohh: hadn't noticed that before. Lol anyway I read your first entry and laughed when you said you didn't have to childproof with Thomas. Im guessing that omarsmum didn't have to either? Did anyone else? I had to childproof everything! Lol I never had to worry that she would climb up things but as far as getting into things... She was into everythinAnd like what I was saying how curious she is and it bypasses her pause and check most of the time. everything went into her mouth. She would empty out the cupboards and try to eat everything including all the cardboard, ha! So boxes of noodles she would eat the cardboard and then all the noodles would fall out of the box. She would touch and dump out and try to eat everything that wasn't put up in the kitchen, bathroom, my books, shoes, tampons, qtips, she was into everything.
A daycare boy I had was very sensitive and he was very well behaved as a toddler. Never needed discipline as a talking to was more than enough. When Megan was a baby it hit me the similarity between him and Megan. But he didn't need any childproofing. And Megan did. He wasn't feisty and stubborn. And Megan is. Lol so I think that megans other temperaments really affect her personality.

Also noticed your age... And it got me wondering. As omarsmum is not a young mom either if im remembering right. Cutie and tacey - are either of you young moms?

Daisybee- Jordan does sound sensitive but in a different way than Megan. Omar never cried as a baby he was very laid back. He was always alert & details oriented (doesn't sound right for a baby :rofl: )

We didn't babybroof, we never needed it, Omar is cautious by nature. Polaris, Omar is very similar to Thomas, but Omar's behaviour is more intense & he's a reall Drama queen :dohh:

As for the classes, we don't have any good places close by, the place we go to is in another city, we need 30 mins on the highway (with no traffic) to reach there, & it's quite expensive. But I don't have a choice, it's the only suit ale place for Omar's personality.

& yes, I'm an older mum, I'm 34 :)

Last night was horrible, he didn't sleep until 3 am, I had to take him back to bed at 1am, he wasn't able to sleep, he was so whiney & he was complaining about silly stuff like his cover, his pillow, his nails, etc.

He woke up every 1.5-2 hrs whining & complaining. He woke up at 10 am, so he didn't get enough sleep.

Poor Omar - such a shame when he had been doing so well with the dummy and with his sleep in general. I hate when Thomas hasn't slept well because I find it really impacts on his mood the following day and it can take a while to get back on track.

It's so interesting reading about everyone's LOs and seeing the similarities and the differences. Daisybee, I'm really glad you started this thread, it's great to have a place to come and chat about these issues with others who will understand. LOL, my parenting diary was a bit of a non-starter, I couldn't manage to keep it up to date and haven't written anything since before Clara was born.

Daisybee - a bit off topic but could I ask you again when you stopped swaddling your girls? I never swaddled Thomas because I thought he didn't like it (although if I was doing it again I would definitely persist as I think it could have helped him a bit). Clara is still swaddled - I had been thinking about weaning her off the swaddle because she has started breaking out of it but I tried putting her to bed without it the other night and she kept flailing her arms and waking herself up just as she was dropping her off to sleep. And last night I tried a different swaddling technique that she couldn't break out of and she had the best night's sleep that she has ever had (slept from 6.30 to 10.30, had a feed at 10.30 and I swaddled her with the new method, she then slept until 8.30 a.m. with only one very brief waking for a feed at 4.30!) So I'm thinking maybe she's not quite ready to be weaned off the swaddle after all?

Uh.. It's horrible when they don't sleep! :hugs: Megan was crying at 3am and wanted me to lay with her so I did, 1 1/2 hrs later neither of us had slept so I decided to go back to bed as maybe it was too distracting to her. She still hadn't slept by 6am and I brought her in our bed just to lay down vs looking out her window and she fell asleep. Lol makes no sense. She doesn't normally come into our bed as it doesn't work well, she is too distracted to sleep there. So I figured we were up for the day. I woke her at 7:30 so that she will be tired enough to nap.

She had a weird day yesterday and I think it's the reason of waking last night. She acted wired and overstimulated most of the morning. And nothing was helping :shrug: she didn't want to wear clothes so I decided not to make a big deal about it and let her, I also was cleaning books out of her bookshelf. So I'm guessing it was one of those 2 things. When I woke her from nap she was crying and upset and spent the rest of the afternoon moody. When dh came home from work after she was done with dinner she got really excited and they were on an adventure and a nose hunt searching for her nose throughout the house. Windown time before bed was more chaos then anything as she was just so wired. We eventually gave up on her getting calmer and put her in bed. And then she was talking and all animated in bed til she fell asleep.

Megan I thought she hated swaddling but her dr at 6 weeks said to do it whether she hated it or not. Lol I thought she was nuts but she was right. Megan hated the act of being swaddled, but did amazing once in the swaddle. It's the only way she could sleep without being held with her reflex. I then realized it helped calm her when she was overtired or overstimulated. We stopped at 4 1/2 months but her startle reflex wasnt totally gone. I could have saved us both some sleepless nights by keeping her swaddled another 2-4 weeks. Mil was so against me swaddling her and she made me feel like a horrible mom for doing it. Im so glad that I now listen to myself vs other people as my gut has never been wrong. Im with them 24 hrs a day. Sometimes dh even had ideas that aren't right and I've gone along with them and later realized I should have stood my ground.

Jordan really did hate being swaddled by 3 months. She would fight it throughout the night and it would wake her up, she was waking way more and it was obvious it was the swaddle. We stopped at 3 1/2 months. Megan never acted like she hated it even when breaking out, it was just something to do was to break out. Lol Jordan just got to the point of being very mad at it. Neither of my girls are rollers so that was a non-issue which seems like a big reason some others stop swaddling. If she is sleeping well swaddled then I would continue if it was me!

Oh no, sorry to hear that Megan had a bad night last night too. Sleep is just so important for our kids really isn't it, and yet it can be just the hardest thing to make it happen sometimes.

Thank you for your advice on the swaddling. I am going to take your advice and keep swaddling Clara for the moment. She's not rolling yet so I don't have that issue. I'm interested to see how she will sleep tonight and whether the long stretch last night was a once off.

I wish somebody had said to me when Thomas was little to swaddle him no matter how much he seemed to hate it. I just didn't know anything about it at the time but looking back I really can imagine that he might have reacted similarly to Megan if I had persisted.

Omar used to fight the swaddle, but once swaddled he used to sleep much better. I weaned him off the swaddle at around 4 months, we went with arms out 1st. But his hands used to keep him from falling asleep. He used to sleep well, but it used to take ages to get him to sleep, when he was a baby he didn't like us to settle him to sleep & he preferred to self settle in his cot, but he used to go upto 1.5 hrs to fall asleep as he used to get distracted with every single sound or movement.

Omar never fell asleep in a random place, he with either sleep in bed or in the car (he still sleeps in the car, he hates car trips, this is why we have to keep him busy or distracted if we don't want him to sleep), he likes to look out of the window but he gets overwhelmed with the cars movements, changes in roads, letters on sigh boards, etc.

Thomas didn't like us to settle him either. When he was really little he used to let me rock him to sleep but by the time he was Clara's age that was totally over-stimulating for him and he would cry for hours as I tried to settle him. One day I put him in his basket in desperation and he fell asleep in less than ten minutes compared to hours of crying. I couldn't believe it. All that rocking and patting had actually been keeping him awake rather than soothing him to sleep. Clara likes to settle herself to sleep most times now too, but sometimes she likes to feed to sleep which I actually enjoy. I couldn't ever feed Thomas to sleep because he would be awake half an hour later screaming in agony from trapped wind.

Omar never fed to sleep. I used to put him in his cot awake. He wasn't cuddly, but the strange thing, at around 18 months he started to need the closeness & now he won't sleep if he's not cuddled, he even wakes up at night for cuddles, & when he's tired or overstimulated the 1st thing he asks for is cuddles. He doesn't allow anyone to cuddle him except me, not even his dad

That's where my big mistake with Megan was as a baby. She was a horrible sleeper and it took hours of me rocking or as a younger baby jiggling while swaddled. She would take forever to fall asleep, but it was worst as she got older. 9-13 months old I rocked her for hours and hours a night. She would cry if I would stop, she wouldn't cosleep, and every time I tried to put her down awake or asleep she would scream her head off. I finally did cc at 13 months and it was so easy and she was sleeping without any crying and sleeping through for the first time ever within a few days. She would fall asleep within a few minutes of laying her down in her crib. It was the happiest she had been since born. Im guessing it was the first time she wasnt overstimulated 24 hrs a day by me rocking her all the time. I didn't understand until she was a toddler that everything I was doing during her infancy was MAKING her overstimulated. :dohh: I think that is my biggest and one of my only regrets as a mom. Not making her self soothe earlier. Jordan was going down the same path and 3 months was insane. I was soothing her for at least an hour each nap and she was getting so overtired. She would take at least 2 hrs to fall asleep at night. And she wasn't happy in my arms at all. She would get distracted every time Megan would want to come in the room, but with only the 3 of us here I couldn't make Megan stay out forever. So I did cc with her a week before 4 months. And she only cried 45 minutes compared to 2 hrs of crying when I was "helping " her fall asleep. The next day naps she only fussed a minute and by her 3rd nap she didn't fuss at all. Bedtime that 2nd night she went to sleep without a peep. From then on it's been so good, she puts herself to sleep after a bottle. She is never overtired and she can self soothe and doesn't cry at all at naps or bedtime. I think it's a big reason she is a calm and happy baby.

Hi girls, I apologize in advance because I haven't read the past several pages of posts, but I had to get on here and vent quickly. We are staying at MIL's for Thanksgiving - we drove here yesterday (5 hr trip) and neither DD slept in the car, despite our leaving at naptime, and they were up way past bedtime b/c we are one time zone over and MIL always plans evening activities. So of course today Christina was overtired and overstimulated (lots of people in her face, even though she clearly doesn't like it), so tonight at bedtime (also an hour later than usual), she had a massive meltdown over not wanting to put her PJs on. I managed to calm her several times but she still refused to put her PJs on. After about an hour, we managed to get her PJs on and get her in bed, but MIL has spent the past 2 hours going on about how we need to see a child psychologist because this behavior (the hour-long tantrum) really is unacceptable and if she gets to school behaving like this then she will be labeled as emotionally conflicted and isolated from the other children and essentially be on a bad path for life. :( MIL is criticizing our parenting methods and scolding us for not leaving Christina alone for hours in an unfamiliar, un-babyproofed room until she complied. I have already been struggling with determining the appropriate discipline while respecting her spirit/self-esteem, so this criticism has thrown me over the edge. I really just want to go home now, but we're stuck for another 2 whole days. :(

I promise I'll come back and catch up on the other posts tomorrow.

:hugs: :hugs:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's exhausting when you're outside your home.

I hate it when someone criticize my parenting, MIL lives abroad, when we visited (Omar was 1 yr) we had a very stressful time, she didn't respect the fact that Omar needed time away from the stimulation.

I really hope it's better today, hope you have a good time Hun :hugs:

Daisybee, thanks for posting about the simplicity method, I didn't read the book, but I thought it was time to de-junk. I thought we were doing fine, but I noticed that we had loads of toys around on shelves that are barely used. Omar is 3 but he's still attached to his baby toys, but I thought it's about time to pack them away.

I packed his push along walker, many puppets he doesn't play with anymore, his Noah wooden arc, some noisy electrical toys, & his travel cot. The cot was lying around unused. I also packed away some baby books.

I ended up with a huge bag of toys to give away, I didn't know that we had loads of cheap plastic toys from supermarkets & McDonald's :rofl:

I also packed some clothes that don't fit well, he has clothes that perfectly fit, so he doesn't need to wear the smaller ones, many are going to charity,

I have two huge bags with toys & clothes, today I will drop them in the charity box when we go out

I also found old vacuum, iron & a sound system :dohh:

Still need to work on the books cabinet, I have many uni books that haven't been touched for almost 10 years :wacko: , I have loads of movies DVDs & programs CDs that are outdated :dohh:

I still need to de-clutter the kitchen, I have loads of plates & cups that don't match & we don't use, I don't have any space in the kitchen cabinets. I will work on it next week.

Sorry for going a bit OT :blush:

Hi girls, I apologize in advance because I haven't read the past several pages of posts, but I had to get on here and vent quickly. We are staying at MIL's for Thanksgiving - we drove here yesterday (5 hr trip) and neither DD slept in the car, despite our leaving at naptime, and they were up way past bedtime b/c we are one time zone over and MIL always plans evening activities. So of course today Christina was overtired and overstimulated (lots of people in her face, even though she clearly doesn't like it), so tonight at bedtime (also an hour later than usual), she had a massive meltdown over not wanting to put her PJs on. I managed to calm her several times but she still refused to put her PJs on. After about an hour, we managed to get her PJs on and get her in bed, but MIL has spent the past 2 hours going on about how we need to see a child psychologist because this behavior (the hour-long tantrum) really is unacceptable and if she gets to school behaving like this then she will be labeled as emotionally conflicted and isolated from the other children and essentially be on a bad path for life. :( MIL is criticizing our parenting methods and scolding us for not leaving Christina alone for hours in an unfamiliar, un-babyproofed room until she complied. I have already been struggling with determining the appropriate discipline while respecting her spirit/self-esteem, so this criticism has thrown me over the edge. I really just want to go home now, but we're stuck for another 2 whole days. :(

I promise I'll come back and catch up on the other posts tomorrow.

It's so ridiculous to make an assessment of a child's behaviour based on how they act on a holiday or festive occasion when they are over-tired and over-stimulated and out of routine. Can you imagine going in to see a child psychologist and them asking you "how does she behave on Thanksgiving when she hasn't had any sleep?", it's just not going to happen. I would be very annoyed by your MIL's comments to be honest. I think she is really out of line in criticizing your parenting methods and judging your child's behaviour completely out-of-context. My MIL is quite difficult and has said some dreadful things over the years so you have my full sympathy and understanding.

Cutie - I'm so sorry!!!! :hugs: I am going to my mil's today and I'm already anxious about it, and it's only for the day as they live 20 miles away. Megan has been excited about going and acting hyper all morning, and mil has set eating at 1pm. Who eats at 1pm! So I don't even know the plan for feeding the kids. Megan won't get a nap or even a rest time. And other kids will be there( dh's first cousins kids). I can't imagine having to travel as far as you do, and no napping either! And later bedtime! My kids would all be melting down too. And they are never themselves at grandparents house. I told mil that the only ones who really see who Megan is and how she is "normally" is dh and me.

Mil thinks Megan had ADHD which maybe she does but she is way too young to know that, she is a very busy toddler, but some things don't seem to add up for me with it. Also like mil saying how is Megan going to handle school if she can't go without a nap? Lol it's like they don't get it!

And when she runs around their house overstimulated and wired mil also will say she needs to go for miles walking and play soccer, etc all these ideas that we need to be wearing her out.

Omarsmum - I'm glad the idea worked for you too! Im still in the process of getting rid of. Right now I've put everything into one bedroom and it's still all in there, and that room is now a complete disaster. I'm finding lots of things I decided I don't need. I cleaned out clothes that neither girl wears and only left the clothes that get used in their drawers. It helps! I like opening the drawers and not being overwhelmed with all the choices. I put a small green fleece blanket over a toy basket and I actually like how it helps. It hides the chaos of the toy colors all mixed in together.

I was in total denial about megans bookshelf. I cleaned it out this week and organized it. I put quite a lot of books that she doesn't read or that I don't like into boxes and put them in that spare disaster room. I am going to get rid of a few of them and others we are going to rotate. It looks so much better and I didn't realize how overflowing the shelf was before. I took out some of her play dishes and food in her play kitchen, I took out some of the baby toys that Jordan doesn't use. I have organized here and there all over the house, and I really like the outcome so far. Its making me want to do more. Im not going to the extreme that some people take it, but I do think less clutter is better for everyone in my house.

We had a good day yesterday, it was beautiful out. We spent a lot of the day outside. Neighbor kids were home for thanksgiving break so Megan played with them in our yard and she was in her sandbox and swing set. One of the neighbors has a small pond and she layed on her stomach and watched the fish. She made a turkey handprint as well. She liked that!

I don't think their is ot for this thread! I think it's all relevant as pretty much everything affects our sensitive kids. :thumbup: even the swaddling that polaris was talking about. So lets all make this thread however it will be helpful to all of us.

We did a declutter too - I also have the spare room just full of stuff at the moment but at least it is out of the way. I am finding it is working so much better - my head feels clearer and I'm sure Thomas's does too. Actually Thomas will often ask for a toy that we have put away but I think that's fine - he's much more focused if he's asked for something and he will actually play with it then. I would love to move almost all the toys upstairs and only have a much smaller amount downstairs in the living area, but unfortunately the upstairs of our house is so small and there is very little storage, whereas we have lots of space downstairs so we do end up keeping most stuff downstairs. So I would really love to go further with the decluttering but at least it's a start.

Hope all the US ladies had a lovely Thanksgiving (and not too stressful!).

Daisybee - I agree that 1 p.m. is a silly time to eat. Your MIL sounds well-meaning but quite hard work. I have a huge issue with extended family members "diagnosing" children based on snippets of their behaviour. I would be really wary about the ADHD label as with the diagnosis there comes a huge pressure to medicate and I am really extremely sceptical that this would be helpful to a child like Megan. I have read some very worrying research about long-term consequences of psychiatric medications for children and I am pretty certain that I would not medicate my own children even if they did meet ADHD criteria. For anyone who is interested in the less positive aspects of psychiatric medications in general there is an excellent but frightening book by Robert Whitaker called Anatomy of an Epidemic in which he convincingly argues that psychiatric medications have actually paradoxically led to higher levels of psychiatric disability and chronic illness in both adults and children. (I work in mental health services as a psychologist so this is a topic close to my heart!)

Happy thanksgiving US ladies :hugs:

Polaris this is interesting. I will take a look at the book.

Daisybee- as you mentioned, it's still too early to diagnose Megan with ADHD. My brother was the same, he was too smart but always on the go. We thought he will cause chaos when he goes to school, my mum even held on sending him to school until he was over 5 yrs. he had few meltdowns & tantrums during the 1st week, but he was so well behaved & was one of those kids who never left their chair :haha:

We went to our classes today, Omar was fine & he enjoyed the class. But it seems that I'm not the only one who's concerned about his social issues.

At the mess lab class the teachers kept the 4 kids occupied with playdoh & some dinosaurs, & they spent the last 15 mins asking to me. (I'm the only parent who attend the 3+ classes :rofl: )

She told me that she had a long talk about Omar with their manager before she left (they have a new manager now), & she asked her to talk to me. She told me clearly not to agree on skipping classes if the school he will go to offers it. She told me that he's way advanced for his age but he's socially delayed & by skipping a class & going to school with older kids he will feel lost & left out, she told me that the best for Omar is a school environment with less structure as he takes things seriously.

If he goes to a grades structured school, he will end up concentrating on getting high grades (as he's a perfectionist), & he will end up loosing balance between studying & having fun & socializing (which is more important for his development at this stage)

Sometimes I feel lost, I'm really struggling with finding what's best for Omar.

He's doing much better when it comes to socializing, but he's still the "different" kid. Today he refused to jump on the tumble bridge although he loves to jump, & he didn't go on the swing. He made excuses like "I can't do it", "it's not allowed" & so on. In the mess lab class, when the teacher asked him about the colour of the bowl she was holding he told her "I don't know" :shrug:

He is difficult to deal with but I don't want him to have this attitude when he goes to school :nope:

He touched the lentils in the sensory box in class which is a progress. & yesterday we made some playdoh at home & he helped by mixing the ingredients with his hands to make the dough. So I think he's getting better with touching different textures.

Omarsmum, I think Omar is such an amazing child but it definitely is going to be a challenge to meet his needs appropriately because he is not the average child. I think you will find that professionals do not always agree on the best approach to take, so you need to listen to everybody's point of view and the reasoning behind it, but in the end of the day you make up your own mind because you know Omar best.

Thomas is exactly like that with refusing to do stuff in a group situation, he uses the exact same excuses, "I can't" "I'll bump myself" "It's not allowed" etc. The other thing that he does is change the subject rather than answering a question when people are talking to him. He won't tell people his name if they ask, he will just say "I'm pretending to be Puff the Magic Dragon/Tom Kitten/a narwhal" or whatever it is that day. Or somebody will say "hello Thomas, what is that toy you have there?" and he won't answer the question but will just say "Tom Kitten, I'm pretending to be Tom Kitten". Nobody has a clue what he's on about half the time! It's almost like he gets embarrassed sometimes when people ask him questions and he just goes into whatever imaginary identity he has that day. He is fine in a structured situation especially one-on-one, for example today he had his three year developmental check with the health nurse and she did a speech and language screening assessment and he was totally appropriate in that situation and answered all her questions and was really polite too. It's casual situations that he struggles with, especially when the conversation is sprung on him.

I'm really impressed that Omar mixed up the playdough ingredients with his hands, there is no way that Thomas would do that yet. He's still quite fussy about getting his hands dirty and tends to avoid it if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->