Sept, Oct & Nov 2011 Mummies and Babies

Thanks for the link for cheeky wipes hadn't thought of using reusable ones before but they look fab i phoned up and lady i spoke to v nice.

if you haven't bought themyet:
You get £5 off if you get an 'All-in-one kit' - just use the code 'recommend' and enter this email address as the person who recommended you: [email protected]

No rolling over here either :nope: and he'll be 5 months soon!! Just starting to get a touch worried.

Will tried banana today. He was watching me eat it and looking so pitiful i let him have a tiny chunk. omg, funniest face ever! he spat it out so quick and looked like i just fed him poo or something:haha:

looooooads of babies never roll before they're mobile! It doesn't mean anything!! Don't stress. :)

My DH can be really stubborn and I thought he would hate cloth (because it was my idea... Ha!) but he likes it. :shrug: he has let me have my way with a lot of baby things actually, but also left me with most of the work... It's fine for now but I start work soon and then it would have to be more equal.

Silas has rolled but still doesn't seem to know how he did it so can't do it regularly. I also heard some babies never roll, so trying not to worry. I do feel a little down sometimes when I hear about other babies doing something "advanced", but I try to tell myself that is silly! He is only 4 months old, no need to be competitive! He is great just the way he is.

phantom- Travis has only flipped from front to back once just enjoys when on his back rolling onto his side.
littlestars- fab about weight and shots Travis has his 3rd ones on Tues. Hope you get apt for Libby soon and she's fine :hugs: woohoo about your bargains. I haven't heard about baby signing before?
katerdid- i'd already ordered but when i phoned up cheeky wipes the lady said type in recommend and you get £5 off but i've just emailed her with your friends email address hopefully she'll get £5 aswell :thumbup:
the banana:haha:
ny- i'd gone to bed early, my boyf came in and woke me as he noticed drip from ceiling it was just next to cot so we moved rooms next morning more water had dripped right where his cot was luckily we'd put the cot on the bed hehe. House is quite new we had the same problem in june but the warantee has just run out so hopefully still be covered as plumber said we need ceiling fixing, new shower, and tiles.

after catching up I am no longer sure what I wanted to say to people, doh.

We don't do cloth nappies full time yet. I still have to use disposables sometimes as she is so small we don't have enough to go around. I would now I think prefer disposables as keeping up with the washing is driving me nuts.

Great news on the twins growth, I hope that everything is ok with Libby.

Alana can roll over but only ever does it in her cot when we aren't there, we find her on her back talking to her mobile. She did try to roll over in the bath the other day though.

You just reminded me I was supposed to pick my baby sign book up from Nursery today. I do a few with her but it is shocking that in a few short months I have forgotten most of them.

does anyone know if frozen breast milks tastes different to fresh? I am trying to get Alana to take bottles every now and then as I go back to work part time April and May for half days and then full days in June. She took the fresh milk yesterday but every time I try milk I have defrosted she refuses it. I want her to remain on breast milk as I really don't want her on Soya formula. I was hoping that if we stayed on breast milk that her dairy allergy would go away sooner, but she will have to have defrosted milk some of the time.

Hippy- It's possible you have excessive lipase (the enzyme that breaks down fat in the milk) in your milk. I have only read about it. It can make your frozen milk taste funny. The only way to fix it is to scald your milk before freezing. I am actually nervous about this because I have never given Lauren milk after being frozen, but I have a ton in the freezer. I should probably at least try to give it to her some time!

NYPage- I use 7th generation diapers. Unfortunately they are not biodegradable. I looked for a while for biodegradable diapers before she was born and couldn't find any that weren't super expensive.

Lauren rolls from back to side, and seems happy enough to just do that. She isn't even 4 months yet though, so I am not worried about it. Even if she is older, some babies just don't roll, just like some don't crawl before they walk. Every baby is different. I have to agree though when I see someone's baby who is younger than mine rolling over I feel bad. I know it's silly, but I think it's just a natural feeling to have since we want the best for our little ones.

I think you can find a lot of different guidelines for first foods for babies. I personally do not plan to give rice cereal or oats. I just think I'd rather do fruits and veggies. I don't like the idea of giving her an overload of carbs as her first foods.

Littlestars - I work ina school for children with special needs, and so I use sign lanuage every day. Im not sure if you have heard of "Makaton"? Its a basic form of sign language, used for babies, children, and those with special needs. As I have been using it daily for the last 4 years, I know almost every sign in the book, and am hoping to teach Freya how to sign before she can talk. Do you recommend starting now??

Hippy - Im pretty sure that freezing breastmilk damages it in some way. I think it reduces the amount of nutrients in it. So perhaps that it why it tastes funny to her? When I express my milk, I always store it in the fridge, never in the freezer. I think it is safe in the fridge for up to 4 days.

Hi ladies! Hope you are all well

xx

I am storing milk for when I go back to work. I am going to taste both and see if how different they are.

I heard frozen milk can get a soapy taste. It's also possible she didn't like the temperature? I had a friend whose baby liked his frozen breatmilk extra warm compared to straight from the breast or formula. :shrug:

I think you can keep fresh milk up to 8 days. Now that he has started daycare, I pump while he's away and then send that milk the next time he goes to daycare. Easier than using frozen milk, because frozen you have to dump once it's been defrosted 24 hours. Also it takes a long time to defrost which annoys my DH if he's feeding a bottle!

Silas has rolled but still doesn't seem to know how he did it so can't do it regularly. I also heard some babies never roll, so trying not to worry. I do feel a little down sometimes when I hear about other babies doing something "advanced", but I try to tell myself that is silly! He is only 4 months old, no need to be competitive! He is great just the way he is.

I know what you mean with the competitive thing. My sister and I agreed that since our babies are 2 weeks apart we would do our best to not judge or compare them and not tolerate our parents doing it either. They'll do what they do when they want and that's that. My girls might roll but trying to get a laugh out of them is really hard and rare. Meanwhile my sister's baby doesn't roll over but laughs on cue.

Shelleney - Not sure the origin or the baby signs I've been using.. I had another book but can't find it. the new one I bought seems reasonable but I went straight to the sign index rather than reading it. lol I'll read it and see if it's based on Makaton or American sign. I think it's a bit of everything because I remeber my MIL trying to get involved with signing to DD1 (she was excited to do it since both her parents were deaf and she knows it really well) but the signs she was doing were all different and it was bugging me. I've made DH promise this time he won't tell her we're signing so she won't screw things up. As for starting now. I've just been signing the few I could remember as I talk to the babies trying to make it a habit so it'll be something they just pick up. It'll be a few months before I see results but might as well do it now right? I know I modify a few signs because the finger dexterity they would need to do the sign would make it something they couldn't sign until much older at a time they will be already starting to talk and that seems silly. I just want them to be able to simply communicate basic needs to feel like they have some control in their life.

I keep forgetting to sign to William. I usually only remember to sign "hungry" and "finished". He doesn't really pay attention to it though - when do they start to notice what you are doing?

I want to sign, but I didn't even think to start this early! I should at least get a book, because I don't know any as of yet.

Got back the rest of Lauren's 3 month photos. Had to share this one!

395760_10100509435060020_16907362_49271351_1923768052_n.jpg

The following is a timetable of 'an average baby' from the book I have:

3-6 months: While babies are too you to begin any serious signing, this is a good time for you to put your baby in training and jump-start the process. Plus, it's a great time for you to practice what you're about to teach.

6-8 months: Your baby's memory skills are growing daily. If you begin signing when your baby is 6-7 months old you will probably see results about 2 months later. This is based on a high level of commitment and consistency.

8-10 months: Your baby's coordination skkills have improved dramatically and he/she will be able to produce simple signs and begin to grasp their meaning. If you start at this stage, you should see results in 6-8 weeks.

10-12 months: If you introduce signs to your baby at this age, you should see results in 2-3 weeks.

12-18 months: This is a prime imitation period. Watch what you say and watch what you sign. It could be picked up instantly, although the realization of what you're doing and why you're doing it, maytake a few days to a week.

Signing Variables:
Baby's age
What else is on their minds? (trying to master other tasks)
Baby's mood and interest level
Your level of commitment
Your consistency level
Family's level of involvement

We're only signing a few things right now, mommy, daddy, bottle/milk, bye-bye, and love you. We'll add in more around the 6 month mark things like hurt, diaper change, more, food, etc and then build from there.

I don't think I started with DD1 until 7 months and we only learned about 10 things total but it really helped a lot. I'm starting early so I can get DH and DD1 on board with the 'program'.

Thanks for all that info Little.
I think I will start this week....
xx

Thanks for that little stars. I have been doing milk but not every time, I need to start doing it consistently. Also I want to teach her sleepy, mummy and daddy as a priority.
Off to baby massage in 45 mins. Alana is taking after me she loves the osteopath, massage and most of all loves her feet being rubbed.

So tomorrow is Valentine's Day, anyone got interesting plans?

For us it's our 7th wedding anniversary but DH is busy studying for exams and going to school late so I'm just doing a nice dinner tomorrow night. I'm hoping to pull off a homemade version of a wedding dinner and then he gets a box of chocolates (really I just want them), we won't be eating until 10pm though. We'll be going on a date night Saturday night (dinner and the movies) and my parents will take all 3 kids overnight. We're not buying anything this year to save money as our debt is a little high and I stress over money. Oh, I got DD1 a little box of chocolates from mommy and daddy. And today we're working on her filling out all her Valentine's for school tomorrow. I was going to bake cookies with her but I'm *trying* to stick to my diet.

Not to many plans here. We are buying a co-gift when our taxes come. Big flat screen tv for the bedroom, and we're thinking about picking up a young rescue dog from the pound or something.

Tonight I'm having a girls night, sort've. Hubby has volunteered to watch baby, so my sister-in-law and I are going to the movies to see "The Vow" and then out to dinner afterwards.

Is it sad that I'm reallllyyy looking forward to it?

Silas has daycare again tomorrow so DH and I are going to a movie during the day. :) I haven't started my full time job yet and he works freelance so were flexible. Easier than finding a babysitter for v day evening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->