Sept, Oct & Nov 2011 Mummies and Babies

ny, I know of babies still be EXCLUSIVELY breast fed (NO solids or anything) at 12+ months old and are totally fine, so don't feel like you HAVE to feed him solids if he's not ready at 6 months!!!

Alana loves solids, she can't get enough of them. I think they help her reflux so much and when she has boob without food afterwards she starts screaming and arching her back, yu hear it coming up and then she is sick.

Kian has bad reflux like that too, but unfortunately, neither rice or oatmeal did him any good, and was more miserable, so after 1-2 days both times I quit. Im sure now that I will skip that stage and go right to vegetables.

So, I was still considering BLW but my younger daughter really really wants him to have baby food made in the baby bullet. She is very excited for that, and wants to help make it and feed him and stuff. So I do think i'll do a combo of puree and finger foods. Mostly puree when she is around to kind of placate her. Lol. I have explained the BLW and everything and she really wants him to do the baby food stage, she thinks he will be growing too fast if he doesn't. I am fine with doing both, so that is that! Think i'll mash some green beans and hand him one as well so he is getting both finger food and puree. maybe let him choose which way he likes it!

My doctor said it was fine to exclusively bf until 9 months and it was pretty common to do that back in the day. They might start needing more iron in their diet around 9 months tho, but you can get their iron levels tested.

Today Silas is 5 months! We tried breast milk on a spoon last night to see how he feels about spoons. He kind of slurped the milk off the spoon but made a face while doing it...hmm. I know he likes milk! So maybe he doesn't like the spoon. I'll probably try it a few more times to give him a chance to get used to it and then decide whether he likes it. I think he would love finger food but he is far from being able to sit up unassisted which I think you're suppose to wait for.

Happy 5 months! good way to test it out with breast milk on the spoon.

There is no hard and fast rule when to start solids. Generally I think the window is 4-7 months to avoid possibilities of causing allergies or some such nonsense. But if allergies don't run in the family then it's really less of a big deal and there are always people who do things to the extreme and it works out just fine. It's really up to the baby. One thing to note is it does take a while for the baby to get used to allowing food from a spoon into their mouths and actually swallowing a fair bit of it.

The girls are in for a doctor's appointment in two weeks so I've decided to wait until that appointment until going ahead with cereals and then we'll do that until they actually hit the 6 month mark. I really need to get a new kitchen table and chairs ASAP though since the chairs we have are questionable in their sturdiness and short of me rebuilding them I think they're really for the trash finally. Also we only have 4 and we have 5 people in the family. Doh! I'd use the dining room table/chairs but they are antique and it's a carpeted room. I only just started letting my 5 year old using them. lol Anyway, guess I should have thought about that when I decided to go with strap on chair booster high chairs.

Skye loves her solids too. She is also still Breastfed on demand and her milk intake hasnt really dropped at all. She's took to weaning like a dream!

I bought her one of them things that has a net type thing on so you can put anything in it for them to chew/eat and they cant choke on it. She tried Banana in it at the weekend and LOVED it, she cried when I tried to take it off her so I had to give it her back until she had finished her Banana lol

Hope all you lovely mommies and babies are ok xx

Kian has bad reflux like that too, but unfortunately, neither rice or oatmeal did him any good, and was more miserable, so after 1-2 days both times I quit. Im sure now that I will skip that stage and go right to vegetables.

So, I was still considering BLW but my younger daughter really really wants him to have baby food made in the baby bullet. She is very excited for that, and wants to help make it and feed him and stuff. So I do think i'll do a combo of puree and finger foods. Mostly puree when she is around to kind of placate her. Lol. I have explained the BLW and everything and she really wants him to do the baby food stage, she thinks he will be growing too fast if he doesn't. I am fine with doing both, so that is that! Think i'll mash some green beans and hand him one as well so he is getting both finger food and puree. maybe let him choose which way he likes it!

Without realising I did a combo BLW/puree with DD1 and it went really well. I'm hoping to do the same with the twins. The mesh feeder thing Shell N Bump mentioned also worked well (it's awesome when they are teething too with an icecube). I loved getting the looks from old ladies when they would see my daughter eating a whole apple at 9 months old when we out for a meal. Too funny plus super convenient to pack.

speaking of teething, Caleb has cut his first tooth through today!! Omg, my baby is growing up already!!! And WOW is that tooth sharp when he bites down on my finger! lol. I had nooooooo idea his tooth was so close; he has had a flushed cheek on and off for a month or so, but there has been no change to his gums that I noticed at all. But nope, apparently his tooth was right there and it cut through the surface sometime between when I checked his gums 2 days ago and when he bit down on my finger this afternoon and I felt a sharp point of a tooth! Thankfully it's a bottom one so there will be no interfering with breast feeding yet! lol.

fd- bless him!
Shellnbump- I saw those mesh things a while back, thanks for reminding me,lol.

Skye is loving her solids too and still BF on demand. I havent taken her back to be weighed as I can see she is ffine and I really dont need their negativity tbh.

Hope everyone and LO's are all well
xxxxxxxxx

Little- that way sounds best for us. Do some spoon feeding and some finger foods. It is well rounded, and give options and lets him become flexible. Hopefully. Lol. He does love his boob, so we will see if he even wants food! I picture him to be 18 and asking for the boob. hah.

Flying- yay for tooth! The next one will probably follow quickly! Take pics:)

Glad foods are working for so many, makes me feel behind, but I agree its the baby who is either ready or not ready. When trying cereals I forgot that mine was 4 weeks early so maybe his gut is not caught up and thats just fine by me.

Anyone's baby NOT rolling yet? Im beginning to get worried here.......

Yay Caleb, congrats on the first tooth!! I cried when DD1 got her first tooth, I'm definitely going to do that same with the twins.

I tried Libby in the exersaucers today and she's sooooooo close to being tall enough finally to go in it. Another week or two and it should be good. Yay! She loves to stand up so I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Ashley is a little less steady on her legs but is really having a ball in her sit-down exersaucer so I'm sure she'll take to it as well though she is a little shorter so might have to wait an extra week or so. It'll be a nice change of pace, they are getting rather bored (and kinda violent with their rocking) in the bouncy chairs. Can't imagine them being used so too much longer really.

aww great news on the tooth.

I spoke to the Health Visitor today and she is relieved that Alana is enjoying her food as clearly she is still suffering from her reflux to the point of once it kicks in and she is in pain she pulls off my boob and isn't getting enough. I told her that the hospital appointment has been cancelled twice and it now not until 12th April. She advised that I continue with the boob on demand or at least every two hours and then feed her at least three meals a day until she is full. Currently I have been limiting her food, but she is just not putting on much weight and gained only 1lb 2oz in 5 weeks. She is just cruising along on the bottom percentile.

I felt terrible today as I don't want her to be hungry, I don't want her to be in pain and I can't do anything until this stupid hospital appointment apart from wean her early and keep feeding her every two hours. I go back to work in April part time and she will still only take milk from my boob or if I give her boob, then bottle and then boob again and she will only take the bottle from me.

aww great news on the tooth.

I spoke to the Health Visitor today and she is relieved that Alana is enjoying her food as clearly she is still suffering from her reflux to the point of once it kicks in and she is in pain she pulls off my boob and isn't getting enough. I told her that the hospital appointment has been cancelled twice and it now not until 12th April. She advised that I continue with the boob on demand or at least every two hours and then feed her at least three meals a day until she is full. Currently I have been limiting her food, but she is just not putting on much weight and gained only 1lb 2oz in 5 weeks. She is just cruising along on the bottom percentile.

I felt terrible today as I don't want her to be hungry, I don't want her to be in pain and I can't do anything until this stupid hospital appointment apart from wean her early and keep feeding her every two hours. I go back to work in April part time and she will still only take milk from my boob or if I give her boob, then bottle and then boob again and she will only take the bottle from me.

That's great that you've been given the go ahead to feed until full, it will surely help with weight gain. It will be hard at first when you go back to work but eventually your daughter will accept bottles from her daycare provider or whatever. Just might take a few days of patience on their end.

:hi: never seen this thread before but my baby was born on 12th September :) x

For the record I am giving up on cloth nappies, they just don't work for us. Bye bye pretty nappies.
Welcome Hayley.
thanks littlestars, daycare is my mum and my nursery, problem is she will see me at work and this is going to result in her wanting boob. I may need to warn my staff that I will be unable to cover baby room when she is in.

Hi Hayley :hi: I recognise you from the PAL Autumn/Fall babies thread. Hows things?

Dont worry Nyp, Freya isnt rolling yet either. She shows no interest in wanting to do it at all!

Thanks ShellnBump for reminding me about that netted food holder thingy. Saw it in Tesco a while back, and meant to get it when Freya started weaning.

So, we are weaning Freya. She is totally ready. Can sit up unaided (most of the time), is always staring at us when we eat, puts everything in her mouth, and wakes every 2-3 hours in the night to be fed.
But we are abit inconsistent. She had baby rice for 3 days, which she liked at first, but then seemed to get bored of it. So we waited 2 weeks, and then tried pureed apple for 3 days. She didnt like that at all, probably too sour for her. Now we are on Rusks, mixed with milk. She seems to like that though, so we will see.....

Hi everyone! :hi:

xx

Shelleney - no rolling over but can sit unassisted? That's great. She's just got different interests, nothing wrong with that. My girls spend their time on the floor just rolling and inching trying to get closer to me while I'm busy with the other one or their older sister or trying to finally enjoy a moment to myself (I should know better eh?). Their sitting abilities unassisted are zip, zero and zilch. They slowly bend forward and then roll down to the ground. lol

I get to see my niece tomorrow for a little visit since my sister will be in town to help her friend get ready for her wedding. Yay! I'm loving that little girl. Apparently she is laughing up a storm. It'll definitely put my girls to shame, though Ashley is getting pretty good at squeeking and squealing for long periods of time these days.

So I came home today fromt he shops to find my neighbour moving out.. well at least people moving him out but the family was nowhere to be found. We all own our homes so I'm not used to someone moving without a house for sale sign on the lawn. Plus we talk to them all the time so we were a bit surprised. The owner arrived at some point and my DH talked to him and turns out he got a job in another city and his kids and wife went home to Bangladesh to visit family while he gets the house in order in the new city. I'm sad they're gone since the lady had little boy 3 months older than the twins. Meh. I'm hoping the new residents will be okay, apparently the owner plans on renting the house for the next year. Sucks living in townhouses because it matters who buys/lives in the house next to you. FX we get a nice family with a little girl my daughter can play with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->