September Stars

Hey everyone! Sorry it has taken so long! Can't believe how mad it has been! Finally had my little boy Oliver Thomas on 22nd September at 6.20pm, he weighed 8lb. Started with contractions 2.30 am every hour or so which went to every 10 mins from 6.30am then every 3 mins at 12 pm, checked at 1pm in hosp and 4cm dilated already! By 4pm I was 8! Started pushing about half hour later and after what felt like an eternity an a epitisomy he was born at 6.20pm. The most perfect beautiful baby boy. Completed our family. Will put up a photo as soon as I get chance!
Hope everyone else is doing well and all our September stars are here!
X x x x x

Congrats Jen!

I love of many posts happen in the middle of the night now the babies are here!

Hey guys, thankyou for all your well wishes for Jenson. He is doing great and has had his breathing tube out. Going up to see him soon so will hopefully know more about his progress then :) xxxxx

anyone breastfeeding and worried about thier supply?
also anyone with babies born premature or with low birthweight?

my DD is gaining an Oz per day and i thought this was great but HV decided now its not enough.

Yay, congrats Jen!!! :happydance: That's everyone now, right?

Charlotee, glad to hear that your LO is improving.

Lynne, we've been struggling with breastfeeding since day 4. My little man just refused to latch after my milk came in, so I've been pumping ever since...and this week I'm noticing a definite dip in my supply. We've been having to supplement with formula. He's latched a few times since, but mostly he just gets frustrated and screams. It has been a very stressful time!

How is it going for you? Is anyone else breastfeeding?

Hey everyone!

I'm breastfeeding SC. it's mostly going fine altho I still have a bit of an oversupply which means my boobs get pretty painful and I have to express off the extra a lot of the time.

I feel like I've passed the hard part and I'm aiming for the recommended 6 months.

Lucy sometimes won't latch. She doesn't like my right boob much, so it's often a bit of a fight to get started on that one. I'm hoping shell calm down about that given time!

I'm also breastfeeding, our latch is ok and feeding is going reasonably well. I feel like I'm very much in the eye of the storm at the moment. I've started recording all of Amelie's feeds because she seems to have digestive issues, recording 19 feeds Tuesday and 18 Wednesday! My breasts and nipples are so sore right now! I've been following a dairy free diet for a week which has helped us a little but Amelie is still inconsolable for 70% of the time. Thankfully we're still under the care of our midwife (who won't discharge us whilst this is ongoing) whilst we try and sort this out because she seems to be the only person who is taking me seriously. Amelie is only producing a dirty nappy every 2 days (which I'm aware can be normal for breastfed babies, but when she goes her nappy can't contain it, so she isn't an efficient feeder). The other reason I don't think it's normal is she's only content for a couple of hours after the dirty nappy. Then she seems to become uncomfortable then in pain which just builds and builds until she inconsolable for 24+ hours before the next dirty nappy, then the cycle begins again. She comfort feeds during this too, which probably doesn't help her. The health visitor says its normal because she's gaining weight? But I'm only getting 4-5 hours sleep every other night and I'm struggling to cope. I had to leave the room earlier and leave my husband deal with her, but then I feel really guilty for leaving her. It's got to the point that even when my husband takes her out the house to give me a break I still think I can hear her screaming. On top of this she has reflux, the gp prescribed Gaviscon but it's not working, but they won't change it until she has been on it for 10 days which isn't until Monday.

SC I've seen your thread in the formula feeding section about switching to FF. You need to do what's best for you, the baby and the rest of your family, I hope you get the support you need shortly. I think you've done really well in continuing to pump this long, I hate pumping and I only do it twice a day!

Oh Cookies! :hugs: Sounds like you are having a really hard time. I hope you and your MW can get to the bottom of what's wrong.

I also have to hand Lucy over in the evenings when she's crying. After a whole day of looking after her it is just too much. She seems to know when I want to rest because that's when she kicks off! We live in a flat so I can't escape, not even earplugs block her crying out. Lucy just has normal colic most evenings but its tough going.

Hey girls. Many congrats Jen :yipee: hope things are going well for your and your little boy.

Cookies, you are having it very tough aren't you :hugs: sounds like Amelie has something going on and it must be really hard for you when there's nothing you can do to console her. I hope you can get to the bottom of it, with help and things can settle down.

I was worried the other week that Lois has colic, but in the end I think it was a tummy bug. I say that because we all had it and so it makes sense. Shes over it now.

The other day she didn't sleep all day - anyone else had this? She wasn't upset, just wouldn't sleep. Thankfully she slept at night. We get 4-5 hours between feeds, which I think is quite good.

We had problems with Breastfeeding to start with, but with perserverance, its now going much better. I was soooo pleased when she was feeding enough for me to be able to give up the pumping! (hate it). I had wanted to exclusively bf, but I have accepted that combination feeding is what works for Lois. Would that work for you SC?

Hey Poshie, glad the feeding is working better for you.

Lucy doesn't sleep much in the day. Only really if I take her out in the pram. Having said that, she has just crashed out on my lap!

Yikes, Cookies! I hope you can get her figured out. That sounds VERY stressful. Not sleeping makes everything worse too, doesn't it. Probably a silly question, but have you tried simethicone drops or gripe water?

I'm envious of those of you who have figured out the breast feeding. I'm feeling a bit better about my situation. Ultimately we'll all be happier in the long run!

Christopher isn't colicy, but he's in a stage where he doesn't want to be set down. I'm thinking of getting a wrap and just wearing him so that I can get some things done! Poshie, it seems like he stays awake most of the day every other day - then he spends the next catching up.

Hiya SC! How are you and your LO? How's the pumping?

We are doing ok. We have our 6 week checkup with the doctor tomorrow. Can't believe we've reached 6 weeks already! Everything is going well though. Lucy is amazing, so lovely and bright. I left her with my mum for an hour today and went for a haircut! I missed her a bit but also enjoyed the 'me time'.

We've also worked evenings out. The colic seems to have gone (fingers crossed)! Lucy now has her bath at 7ish, then a feed and then bed. So far it's working! I miss her though. Makes me want to go to bed early so I can be close to her. Is that weird?

The breastfeeding is going ok... Except I still have a crazy oversupply, sore leaky boobs all the time. I keep hearing that she will grow big enough for my supply but I'm beginning to think that will never happen! She's put on 3 pounds since birth and I still have this problem. It sucks. I'm just glad that the bf is working otherwise and she is thriving on it. Makes up for my discomfort and inconvenience.

How's everyone else doing?

Hi Ladies!

I miss all of you. I hope that everyone is doing well and that your babies are all sleeping and eating great! :thumbup:

My LO is growing SO fast - he's 7 weeks now and weighs around 12 pounds already! He's sleeping in 4-5 hour stretches at night, cooing and smiling, and just being a love. I feel like we've finally gotten into a really good groove and I'm enjoying him immensely. :cloud9:

I'd love to hear updates from all of you!!! I want to see your LO's too. Here's a recent pic of my little man:

https://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/fbjewels/Christopher7weeks.jpg

Hey ladies.

Christopher is gorgeous SC :D He's definitely a big boy at 12lbs! Sounds like things are settling down, I am finding the same thing now and enjoying my baby more now too.

Lois is 8 weeks today and we are now mostly bf. The only formula she gets now (by choice) is last feed at night and her 4, 5 or 6am feed (depending when she wakes up). Really pleased its worked out. Lois is around 9lbs 6ozs now and following the line on her growth chart. I will endeavour to upload a pic for you soon. She is holding her head up more now and interacts with lovely smiles. She loves watching her big brother :cloud9:

Hope your 6 week check went well TT. We had ours the same day as you and all good. I have since got a uti, so been to doc and awaiting sample results so he can prescribe an antibiotic which is safe in bf. Think I might need a filling in my tooth, but can't get at appt til next Monday. So other than that, all good here :)

Hi everyone,

I haven't done an update for ages because for us things hadn't got any better since my last update. But finally as of yesterday we think we have the solution.

We spent ages going round in circles with the GP telling us that if we got her reflux under control everything else would fall into place and that she only had a bit of colic. She's now on ranitidine and gaviscon for the reflux but it's still present. :nope:

The GP finally accepted that Amelie had more than colic going on after I noted her cycle of behaviour and could show it was linked to her dirty nappies and referred us to paediatrics for further assessment which was yesterday. They think she is cows milk protein and soya intolerant. They have prescribed nutramigen formula as an elimination test. She's only been on it one day and there is such a difference I'm not sure I brought the same baby home from the hospital appointment. She's calm and relaxed and has self settled to sleep all day. We have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to assess the outcome of this trial and they will then make their decision. It's obviously to early to call after one day but i'm really hopeful we've found the solution at the moment. I did/do really want to continue breastfeeding and I looked into going soya free as well as dairy free but that would have been really complicated. I did feel guilty originally about not following a stricter diet because I know from this forum that there are people who follow soya and dairy free. But my health visitor and I had a long discussion and because her reflux reacts badly to all fruit I tried eating, and I'm not eating the vegetables that cause wind I would struggle to get all the nutrients from my diet that I need let alone to support breastfeeding. So whilst we're doing this trial I'm expressing as often as I can to keep a milk supply going incase the formula doesn't work out and we decide to revert. I'm freezing it all and I'm hoping Amelie will have grown out of it sufficiently for me to use it during weaning instead. I just can't bare to throw it out, I hate pumping!

I hope this all makes sense! I haven't read it back and have typed it all one handed whilst pumping!

I've attached a photo of Amelie, taken yesterday.

Attachments

• 2012-10-22 11.59.13.jpg
    2012-10-22 11.59.13.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
Hello all! It's amazing how the time flies, isn't it?! My little guy is already one month old today! Although he's not really so little, as he's already close to 11 pounds :winkwink:. SC - Luca is wearing the same outfit today as your little one is in the picture. All of your babies are too cute! I'll try to post a picture of Luca here...never done that before.

Wishing all of you and your little ones the best!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
Hey everyone! Lovely baby pictures and its good to hear how you're all doing.

Sorry things have been so hard Cookies, but it sounds like there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Everything is fine with us. Lucy is a delight! We have her first jabs today so fingers crossed that goes ok.

I'm not sure how to post a picture from my mobile. I'll try and do it next time I'm on the laptop.

I'm loving all your updates and pictures. Glad to hear everyone is doing well and things are settling down.

Amelie is doing so much better on the formula. I ended up having to feed her from the breast once over the weekend because I had some blocked ducts which caused red and sore patches on my breast. I expressed as much milk off as I could before putting her on, but a couple of hours later she went back to how she was before, so my DH and I have decided no more breastmilk, so I've stopped expressing now and I'm letting my supply dry up. I'm a little sad about it, but having a happy baby is the main thing.

We were discharged from the midwife on Saturday who brought my hospital noted with her, so before I return them I thought I would have a go at writing my birth story.

I went into labour naturally in the early hours of Sunday 9th September. I was woken up during the night with intermittent mild contractions. I woke up at 06:30 and was aware that they were pretty frequent so decided to start timing them with an app on my phone from about 7am. They were 5 minutes apart lasting for a minute. I stayed in bed until 8am when I decided to go and get some breakfast. Contractions were then 4 minutes apart lasting a minute. I rang the midwife unit after breakfast as I per the instructions in my notes (to ring when contractions were between 3-5 minutes apart, last a minute and had been for a least an hour.) But I was quite happy to stay at home, I could still talk through the contractions. The midwife and I agreed I would ring back in 1 - 1 1/2 hours and we would make a decision from there. I rang back at 10am when contractions were 3 minutes apart lasting 1 1/2 minutes. They were still pretty mild, but the unit was quiet so we agreed that I would go in to be checked. I got to the hospital at 10:20 and saw the midwife. I remember the first thing she said to me was that she wouldn't be there to deliver my baby because she was only working until 14:30. She hooked me up to the CTG to monitor the contractions and her heartbeat. just after this she asked me whether the baby was moving at all which she wasn't. They then took my temperature which was high. They gave me some paracetamol for my temperature, but after 30 minutes on the CTG they decided I needed to be move to the consultant led unit for continued monitoring. I didn't know at the time but Amelie's heartbeat was 170bpm with no variations. I was transferred at 11am. The Dr's started another CTG and an IV with for antibiotics suspecting I may have some kind of infection. The abnormal CTG continued but her heart rate had started to drop after every contraction so at 11:30 it was decided that I needed an internal examination and to have my waters broken so a monitoring cap could be placed on her skull. I was fully effaced and 2-3cm dilated (quite disappointing since I'd been having painless tightenings and was fully effaced and 2cm dilated the previous Monday.) They then broke my waters which had grade 3 meconium (the worst grade) and was followed by dark red blood. I didn't know until I saw my notes that there was blood, and they started to suspect placental abruption at this point. The first attempt at placing the cap failed, but the 2nd succeeded. The plan was to continue to monitor for 30 minutes to see if her trace became normal, and to see how I progressed and if her heartbeat normalised then I would be given drugs to speed up my labour. I started using gas and air at this point because the contraction pain ramped up after they broke my waters. By 11:55 her heartbeat was 160-170bpm but had started taking a large dip after each contraction which was taking a long time to recover, so they moved me onto my left side, before switching to my right when it didn't help. At 12:10 her trace was described as pathological and the decision was made that I needed an urgent c-section. The first I knew of this was when my room was swarmed with Dr's, midwives and the anaesthetist. My consent was gained whilst I was being stripped by two people and the anaesthetist was explaining what would happen. I was transferred to theatre at 12:16. I was lucky that I got to have a spinal anaesthetic and she was born at 12:39. She was given oxygen at birth and considering what happened her APGAR was a good 7. Swabs were taken of my womb and the placenta was sent to histology because my placenta was "offensive" but appeared complete. Amelie was taken to NICU to have a bloods taken and a cannula fitted for IV antibiotics before being returned to us. Immediately after surgery my temperature returned to normal. 12 hours after surgery the on call Dr was called because my obs were showing hypotension and tachycardia. An ECG was performed which was normal, but I continued to be monitored for suspected sepsis and hypovolemia. Thankfully a few hours later my blood pressure and heart rate returned to normal. Both Amelie and I had IV antibiotics for 60 hours post delivery. Happily both her and my bloods were clear of infection as was my placenta and we were discharged on the Wednesday. The Dr's were surprised at this because all the signs pointed to some infection going on. This means that her delivery has gone down as fetal distress and we will never know the reasons why. This leaves me with lots of questions, but no one can answer them. I saw the same midwife who transferred me to the consults at my 1 day visit, who was very relieved to see us safe and well. She also confided that she was so thankful she told us to come in when she did (had the unit been busy that morning I probably would have been told to wait a few more hours before coming in.) Because if that had happened the outcome would have been very different, and potentially catastrophic for both of us.

7 Weeks on, I think I'm pretty reconciled about how she came into the world. It wasn't how I thought it would be and was way more stressful (although a lot of the stress was because it all happened so quickly), but it was the safest way for both me and her.

Right I feel quite a lot better for having got all that out, I'm sorry for the essay though. Thank you for reading if you got all the way to the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->