Sewing patterns

JessyG

cautiously pregnant #1
Reaction score
I have recently bought a few items of clothes for my son from Instagram shops little leggings rompers etc. I love them and all the funky fabrics etc. I'd also really love to try my hand at it as I'd love to make some matchy clothes for my kids. I doubt I will be any good at it but my mum has offered to lend me her sewing machine and give me a wee lesson in how to sew etc. My issue is trying to find the patterns to do it. I have seen on etsy you can buy a downloads me pdf copy of the romper suit pattern for example but I was always under the impression that you need a physical pattern (on that thin pattern paper) to pin to your material. Maybe I am being stupid. It's also an issue as I don't have a printer and the pages would come out on A4? Anyway my question is does anyone have an idea as to where I could buy physical patterns for these types of things. I looked at hobby craft but I couldn't see any online. If anyone knows of a shop or does this themselves and knows where I could order one if be eternally grateful.

I live in the US but our local fabric store has tons. Also, you can print them it just takes cutting and taping them together.

Another alternative is to look up websites that explain how to make them and then drawing out your own. The only problem with that is your lack of experience you might not know how it should look.

A good place to by ready made patterns is eBay.

Ones on Etsy often are printable but instead of having one big piece you have a few small ones. :)

Edit - I just saw you don't have a printer, sorry!

I think I will do that I'll pop up to the library and print it off.

You could try brown paper and a pencil? Draw round something you already have that's the right size (clothes I mean) and sort of make it up!! I've done that loads of times, just looking up pinterest or google for instructions on how to do waistbands or the crotch of trousers etc!

If you have a printer, you can print on freezer paper and then iron it onto your fabric, no pins needed. Also reusable. Fun fact.

You can print it on regular paper if you have good eyes and good lighting, you can usually see through printer paper (especially lower quality printer paper) enough to line it up on your fabric. You can pin through printer paper.

You can print it out, cut out the patter, and transfer it to patter paper or tissue paper or freezer paper or whatever you like. If it were me I'd put the thinner paper over the printed patter and trace it with a narrow felt tip pen of some kind.

You can use pins to hold the patter to the fabric, use freezer paper and an iron, or some people use weights (I never had success with that).

I sewed a lot in my teens but I hardly find the time to do more than hem pants and modify bras to be nursing bras nowdays.

I tried some other projects but they ended up half finished and pushed to the wayside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->