• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sharing Birthday Presents

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
In our house, we generally go by 'If someone else has they toy, you wait until they're finished. Regardless of who it belongs to or how long someone has been playing with it.
The girls, especially the younger two, are into pretty much the same stuff, and they fight over EVERYTHING.
It is Hannahs birthday tomorrow and she is getting alot of toys. Ella will obviously play with them too, as will Paige.
Since they will be her brand new toys, how much say should she get as to when the other two play with them? When it's not a birthday, she would not be allowed to make someone give her a toy if they were playing with it... so should it be 'okay' because it is her new birthday gift?
I already know there will be wars tomorrow!

For us, the whole birthday day they're allowed to play with them as they want. It was so difficult this year as they like the same things. I don't think my ds2 understood it was ds1 birthday as he kept saying thank you. But we just kept saying 'it's his birthday and they're his new toys, you get a birthday too'

I usually just ride it out, try to distract the birthday child with one of their other new toys and encourage the other child to have a little go with the toy and then let their sibling have it as it is their new birthday toy. This is after their actual birthday; we have an unspoken rule that the birthday boy/girl is king/queen on their birthday and all normal rules are out the window :winkwink:

We don't have the same rules, but I think it's reasonable to have a different rule for birthday toys on her birthday.

I only have experience of my daughter and her birthday parties given she's an only child but it's the same rule on her birthday. If someone is playing with a toy and you want it, you'll need to wait. I'd rather not have the fight at the next playdate when she was allowed to take things off of children the last time but not this time.

Ive not had to deal with this yet but I am going to do what EleanorAce suggested. Only seems "fair" as its their special day!. .

Hope she has a lovely birthday and not too many toy arguments!

Generally in our house, x2 boys who play with same stuff we usually distract the non birthday child with a different new toy. But our toys are all shared totally apart from lego

For us, the whole birthday day they're allowed to play with them as they want. It was so difficult this year as they like the same things. I don't think my ds2 understood it was ds1 birthday as he kept saying thank you. But we just kept saying 'it's his birthday and they're his new toys, you get a birthday too'

This :thumbup:

We have pretty much the same rules in our house, everything is to be shared unless it's something like dd1s make up or toys that just aren't age appropriate. Birthdays though the rules go out of the window for the day, I would expect though that the next day it would go back to normal, after all birthdays unfortunately only last the day :winkwink:

I'm just thinking back to when I was a kid and how it would have been WW3 if I'd ever tried to 'share' any of my siblings toys. I remember things very much being possessed. My sister and I did share some of the toys but it was kind of by mutual agreement and nothing to do with parenting!

I have no idea how I'd do things if we had more than one child, but I do think that birthdays are special and the birthday child should play with his birthday toys that day unless he chooses to share. That would mean mega distraction of the other child I would imagine! Plus maybe a less good but still exciting goodie bag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->