Shes our daughter and we'll name her what we like!!

I understand its your name choice, and everyone will always have their opinions. I agree with your family but i have no right and nor do they to tell you to change it xx

Well, seeing as how you never asked your family's (or ANYONE else) to be the ultimate deciding opinion-giver, they should keep their opinions to themselves. It's YOUR (you and DH) child, you grew her, and you'll raise her. Everyone else can slough off.

Btw, I know how you feel. I told my MIL the names we had picked out for future children. She laughed and said my girl's name sounded stripper-esque. My sister and I looked at each other and replied at the same time. "It was our grandmother's name.":dohh:

Well, seeing as how you never asked your family's (or ANYONE else) to be the ultimate deciding opinion-giver, they should keep their opinions to themselves. It's YOUR (you and DH) child, you grew her, and you'll raise her. Everyone else can slough off.

Btw, I know how you feel. I told my MIL the names we had picked out for future children. She laughed and said my girl's name sounded stripper-esque. My sister and I looked at each other and replied at the same time. "It was our grandmother's name.":dohh:

Hehehe...A friend of ours said that our lo's name sounded stripper-esque too, but he was just joking, of course. But I have had people snarl (indirectly, ifkwim) at the names I had chosen at the beginning of my pregnancy. I don't give a hoot, MY KID!

Thio is really cute and not too boyish at all, weve been looking at calling our girl lenny funnily enough!! x is that your full name or nickname x

If people are giving YOU that much crap about it, just think of the person that has to sport that name their whole life.
We just gave our son a boring common name so people wouldn't judge him or his family, and to be honest, no one calls him by his name, just his nickname.

Seriously, though. It's THIO. It's freaking cute, and by any standard NOT that terrible!

It's not like she's naming her kid Chlamydia, or Latrine, or Pap Smear, or Doughnut Face, or Witch's Tit!:dohh:

Our daughter will be called Thio Grace Roberts and no its a bit strange but i love it and OH loves it, i wasnt expecting everybody to love it but i was expecting everybody to be respectful of the fact that this is our decision and thats that.

But so far ive told me mam who said we cant name her that its horrible and when i told her we've already decided she turned round and said well i hope u change ure mind and walked away. OH dad said it was a horrible name and hopes we realize he will not be callin her that he said he will think up a nickname to call her, excuse me but Thio is our daughters name and he will call her by her name!!! ive heard that she will be bullied at school ive heard that all ppl will think about is the chipmunks and apparently all anybody will think about is some footballer that plays for arsenal.

The way ppl are reacting ud think id named her bluebell madonna or something i love her name so much but ppl are making me feel bad i dont want to change it i just wish ppl wud respect my choice its not THAT bad surly :(

Sorry for the long rant guys

Wow I could have written this post myself, my family are exactly the same! Nobody likes the name me and my husband chose for our son :( My stupid brother even had the cheek to tell me and my husband to discuss changing the name! I got the "Oh we won't be calling him that name then" and the "Oh he will get bullied with a name like that" too. They threatened also that they will make up a nickname instead! Damn insulting!

It's only recently that my mum and brother who strongly dislike my sons name have finally started calling him by his proper name! I think they finally are used to it.

Ultimately they hate my sons name because it's not the English/Irish name they expected! They are so set in their ways! Ignore them hon, it is hurtful yes, but eventually they will get used to the name, just keep reminding them not to use "Nicknames" pull them up on it every time. You want your baby to know their real name as they grow up and nicknames will just confuse them.

Can you imagine my mum actually was cheeky enough to coo to my baby when is was 2 months old saying "What's his name again?" I answered and she went on to tell baby "Why did mummy choose that name for you, it's a silly name" I promptly took baby off of her and went home hardly saying a word. I think she got the message not to say such a thing again, because since then she stopped commenting on his name. xx

If people are giving YOU that much crap about it, just think of the person that has to sport that name their whole life.
We just gave our son a boring common name so people wouldn't judge him or his family, and to be honest, no one calls him by his name, just his nickname.

They are giving them stick because for some reason many relatives believe they have a RIGHT to a say in a child's name. They dont and so she shouldnt change it just because of that.

OP Thio is lovely :thumbup:

They are giving them stick because for some reason many relatives believe they have a RIGHT to a say in a child's name. They dont and so she shouldnt change it just because of that.

I would hope if I ever tried to name my child "containing sulfur" (which is what Thio means), that they would put etiquette aside and try to stop me. Children aren't canvases for parents to express their creativity and uniqueness... They too will become adults one day and try to look for a job (or not want to get teased in school).
Also if my parents named me Thio I'd be kind insulted... Sulfur isn't one of the nicest chemical elements, it stinks pretty bad.

I would hope if I ever tried to name my child "containing sulfur" (which is what Thio means), that they would put etiquette aside and try to stop me. Children aren't canvases for parents to express their creativity and uniqueness... They too will become adults one day and try to look for a job (or not want to get teased in school).
Also if my parents named me Thio I'd be kind insulted... Sulfur isn't one of the nicest chemical elements, it stinks pretty bad.

And MY opinion on YOUR opinion is that it stinks as well. But to each their own, sweetheart. It's not about using lo's as canvases. You know, there ARE people who name their child a name of good meaning. Everyone has their reasons. Jeez, who cares what people think! Do you really have that much time and energy worrying about other people's perception and judgment on a NAME.

Well as far as I saw they didn't mention the Sulfur, they just didn't like it. It could of been the most unusual name ever or the most common it doesn't seem to be about that but rather them having a say.

Really if some is bullying someone because of their name then it is very likely that with a name that was for example Jack, the bully would bully them because of their hair colour, their teeth, their glasses, their build. A bully will find something.

cant believe anyone would think that a girl would get bullied for havig the name thio, i dont think its that unusual at all. Rare yes but isnt there a name "theadora" anyway which id always shorten to theo, said same as thio, so ? :S

This is why I didn't tell anyone our name choice for LO until she was born. I'm sure some people would say it is an awful name, but I didn't want to know if they hated it. People are always going to be opinionated on names unfortunately, but they should respect it is your choice, has nothing to do with anyone else! And as for people who say that they aren't going to call the baby that name because they don't like it, how rude and disrespectful!!!

Post removed by admin - Inappropriate forum behaviour.

I feel your frustration!

Firstly i think the name is beautiful and like you said its your baby and your choice. Me and my partner have had a hard time with the name we have chosen for our little boy. At first it upset me and even made me feel embarrassed to tell people what we had chosen when they would ask. But i have now come to realise that firstly women are the worst people to ask for an opinion as unfortunately many of us cant just keep our negative comments to ourselves. I think once the baby is here people fall in love with the baby not the name. My partners mum really didnt like the name we chose and tried to talk us out of it, but since we put our foot down and learnt to stand up for ourselves and be proud of the name we have chosen for our son she seems to have taken it on board and gotten used to it.
When i was at school i longed to have a different name and was always jealous of the kids that had unique names.
I agree with ginger-bee.....If a bully wants to bully someone they will find something.

I just think thank god for women like us that arent scared to be different or there would be a world full of people all the named the same.

I dont expect people not ot have an opinion and i can quite happily accept that not some people just dont like a name, but its when they are rude about it or try and make you feel like a bad parent for suggesting such a thing.

Proudly Naming our little boy Knight Finley

xxxx

Jleanne! Knight Finley is an AWESOME name! I quite like it, and good job to you and your partner for the creativity, and care, that you've chosen your baby's name with! :hug:

p.s. BnB- I understand the infraction, but couldn't you have just edited the post since it was literally just the last sentence that was excluding others? It was a pretty alright post until then, I think. :shrug:

Ginger_Bee

Thankyou so much! Although ive learnt not to listen to negative comments its still a great feeling when someone says they like the name. I also think kids are a good judge of names when i asked my 7 year old nephew if he liked the name, he had a sulked because he was jealous because he wanted to be called knight!

xxxxx

That's a-dorable! Teehee! Name jealousy from a 7 year old! Been there! :D

I have a very unusual name, so do my brothers. It gets old sometimes saying it three times to every new person I meet, spelling it 2-3 times etc. I hated it growing up. Now its just me. Sometimes I say a 'sounds the same' name and mess with people a bit... lol, thats fun.
Ill say "my names Gaerwen", they say "Caroline?" I say "yup" and they look at me for a moment cause they know thats not what they heard the first time...lol

Mine is said 'Gaerwen' sounds like where-when, my brothers are Dunstan and Gareth.

I had more ppl bully me for my shyness than my name. I say name your kids a NAME, not a thing, dont make up spelling that is confusing or phonetically challenging, lol.
I like the name Thio.

If you want to name your child Thio then do it, she wont get bullied more because of it. As a PP said kids can get bullied for pretty much anything. No one had heard of my name when i was growing up and I wouldn't say i got much stick for it! I think Thio is a lovely name x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->