Shes our daughter and we'll name her what we like!!

Thank you guys iam still getting stick off everybody but we are coping well. i dont understand that like how everybody says Thio is a boys name yet nobody complains when ppl name there girls Charlie its the same thing. In my small town ive never met a boy or a girl called Thio so its not like she'll be in a classroom full of boys named Thio or anything.

Maybe that's why I like it. My girl will be named Charlie. :)

I dont see any issue at all with the name Thio? There is far more outlandish things you could have chosen!

I wish I was named something a little different myself. Go ahead and shout 'Sarah' in your local town....have a look at how many women turn around? It was that bad I was Sarah #5 in my class in school alone!

And honestly, those people/companies that would seek to discriminate against someone when she's older based on name alone, are not the people that you want to be working for.

If I were in your shoes - id go ahead and call her Thio :)

Thank you guys reading these has really made me smile i love our daughters name but ive just decided to not bother tellin anybody from now on when ppl ask i just say we havnt got a name yet cos to be honest there opinion isnt going to matter to me all its going to do is make me feel bad and i dont see why i should let that happen.

Thio Grace Roberts is our baby girls name and i think its beautiful :happydance:

If people are giving YOU that much crap about it, just think of the person that has to sport that name their whole life.
We just gave our son a boring common name so people wouldn't judge him or his family, and to be honest, no one calls him by his name, just his nickname.

They are giving them stick because for some reason many relatives believe they have a RIGHT to a say in a child's name. They dont and so she shouldnt change it just because of that.

OP Thio is lovely :thumbup:
I would hope if I ever tried to name my child "containing sulfur" (which is what Thio means), that they would put etiquette aside and try to stop me. Children aren't canvases for parents to express their creativity and uniqueness... They too will become adults one day and try to look for a job (or not want to get teased in school).
Also if my parents named me Thio I'd be kind insulted... Sulfur isn't one of the nicest chemical elements, it stinks pretty bad.

Have u ever looked up what ure name means? cos to be perfectly honest i never have. i will say if u look up the name Theo it means a divine gift or gods gift we are just spelling her name diffrently.

If your going to be bullied at school its gonna happen doesnt matter what happens i was bullied at school for being to fat then to skinny then to shy. i remember one of the popular girls was called Stevie she never got bullied. Ive just gotta hope i can raise my daughter to be able to fend for herself when she gets older and i dont believe thats got anything to do with her name its all to do with what i teach her as she grows.

ow and i dont think anybody in a interview would turn around and say ow btw we cant hire u ure names just to weird did u no it ment sulfur lol

You're right because they may not even get an interview. I never knew the importance of naming a person before I worked for a headhunting firm, but as unfair as it is, people with "unique" names get significantly less interview opportunities than people with ordinary names.
So while your child's name is entirely up to you, you shouldn't just name your baby out of spite. It's not about who's right and who's wrong, it's about intentionally dishing your kid a disadvantage.
Perhaps I'm a little biased because my parents gave me a moronily "unique" name that no one can pronounce? :shrug: lol
And yes I have looked up its meaning, because all of my clients ask me every effing day wanting to know if I'm foreign or my parents were just white trash...:coffee:

Maybe your views are different on this because YOU grew up not liking your name, Liesje. And name trends are really changing, dear. A lot of these influences are from celebrities and sports. I don't know where you got your statistics from about people with unique names have less interview opportunities. That's just discriminating against that person. Maybe that's how it is over where you live. At any rate, if I knew a company judges its applicants over their names, then I'd rather not even try because it is just wrong in so many ways. Anyway, that's illegal where I am from. But let's go back to you. I really feel you are so against unique names because you grew up always explaining yourself to people. I think you should leave her alone about her chosen name for her daughter. In the future, unique names will become trendy and "normal".

Sorry, hun. You can't shove your opinion down someone's throat. You, my dear, just gotta learn to say, "Okay, if that's what you like, then so be it." Everyone has different opinions and ideas on names. You have yours and she has hers. You can't try to change her decision. What's done is done.

I agree that people have the right to name their child whatever they see fit, but all of these "unique" names and trendy names of the future I just don't get. I think you should really think about name meaning, pronunciation (will people say "tio" like uncle in spanish for her whole life?), and spelling. Names do affect a child/ future adult for their whole entire life.. names that are "cute" for babies generally do not fair well for adults.
Also, as a teacher, I know kids will find ANYTHING to bully others about.. so, why make it so easy for them? You don't have to be like everyone else.. but don't set them up for it.

ON that note.. what about some nice girl's names that can get shortened into nice names?

Josephine = Jo or Joey
Theadora = Thea
Natalie = Talia

Just some ideas. I just know my name Aimee.. means "loved or beloved friend" and that was always really special to me.. I just think its nice when a name has a nice meaning beyond a nice sound.

Honestly, whatever you do, its your choice ultimately.. but I know I always appreciate different perspectives and thought I'd share my two cents..

Having taken basic chemistry, I couldn't call my child Thio.

I'm sorry if you've not heard this but thio means lacking oxygen and containing sulfur.

I love the name :) Don't let anyone tell you different!

I actually thought it was a boys name but i do like it. Its not that unusual that your child will get bulied for it? Like fair enough i could see people points if it was a stupid made up name but its just a more unique/normal name! I wish i was given a really cool name when i was born. I like the thought of people being able to know who people are refereing to with just your 1st name.. nothing worse than 'oh which *** are you talking about... like you knowww the one with the big nose' haha! anyway its your child u name her what u like :)

Thio/Theo or however you want to spell it, is not that farfetched as a name! I just think it gets tomatoes thrown at it is because of gender. Some of you who oppose it keeps bringing up Thio's meaning, but OP already said it is of Theo.

Gosh, it's really a up and coming name. People just have trouble with it because the sound of it suggests male name, yet please, don't forget there are just as much male turned female names these days.

Back in the day, people made ruckus over Billie/Billy or other "male" names for a little girl. Yet, here we are naming or kids male names that have became quite popular; "always explaining" the name to people has died out, you don't get that much snarl from people.

But then it seems it's okay to let these names slide if taken from tv shows or movies, like the name Madison in the movie with Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah (Splash, 1984).

Then there's surnames as female names, male nicknames as female names, and etc.

And......people with "foreign" names like me (Sakina), albeit femme, always have to explain the name.

Thio/Theo is really light of an issue. One of these days, it'll become popular. The media always makes it viral (haha). One day, OP's chosen name for her dd will become just as "standard" and "normal" as Madison, Addison, Reese, Cameron, or Taylor for girls.

On a side note, OP already is set in stone with Thio. Not sure why there are suggestions being made to give her dd a different name after she already made a final post, Thio it is.

Sorry to burst some of your bubbles, but it's 2012 and things have changed, names are one.

Met a cute girl named Seve (seh-VAY). I thought it was "seeve" or "seevee". But no. And that was it. Seve corrected me (she's only 4 or 5), she is proud of her name and she knows it's male but she wears and says it proudly. It's derived from Severino or Severus, which is an old ancient family name but it came from a Roman saint.

A male name I'd really consider naming a future dd would be Stevie, after Steve (my OH). I really don't give a hoot what people will think, as everyone has their opinions on names in general. Some are just not diversified, which may be good or bad. Snaring at someone else's name or their future kid's name only makes you appear unacceptably narrow-minded.

It's rude to keep giving suggestions of other names when one has already announced their final decision.

-_-

I dont think ill hear much about her name once she is here ppl i work with and my relatives seem to think as long as shes not here there free to take the mick out of the name ive chosen for my daughter and if i get upset then iam being silly cos it was only a joke but its my daughter there talking about!! i dont no why ppl find it ok its not respectful and i wouldnt dream of taking the mick out of someones name.

Thio isnt a strange name to me i just cant get my head round the amount of shock and bad words ive heard about her name. Once Thio gets old enough iam sure she'll make sure ppl get her name right. Eva (my stepdaughter) has had ppl call her Ava and Evie and she always corrects them and she makes sure they never do it again i think once uve been corrected by a child u do well to remember next time lol

:hugs: Lenny. I think when we are pregnant and chose 'the name' we connect it with our baby, our baby becomes Thio or whatever name where as the two are seperate things for other, Thio is a baby name and your bump is your baby. It is silly to me because she IS Thio.

You are right she will correct people, my daughters I have here are Naomi-Mae and Kaysie Blossom, well if anyone says Naomi then my daughter will say its Naomi-Mae and Kaysie Blossom (she is only four) just wont answer unless you use both names even though it isnt a hyphenated name :haha:

if you like the name then go for it. it's not a crazy name, a made up name nor does it have an apostrophe in it :winkwink:

the best thing to do is keep it to yourself now. once your baby is born i doubt anyone would be rude enough to make fun of it x

if you like the name then go for it. it's not a crazy name, a made up name nor does it have an apostrophe in it :winkwink:

the best thing to do is keep it to yourself now. once your baby is born i doubt anyone would be rude enough to make fun of it x

Yeah thats what iam doing iam not gonna bother telling anybody else cos i get told its my hormones when i get angry or upset that ppl take the mick out of her name which i dont think is fair at all :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->