Shes our daughter and we'll name her what we like!!

:hugs: I think Thio is lovely. It is a variant of one of my favorite names of all time Theodosia (which for some reason I couldn't quite convince my hubby to name our daughter). Also as the daughter of a chemist, I wouldn't have minded a name that had a chemical flavor to it, either, even if some sulfur containing compounds aren't the best smelling, sulfur itself is pretty and a very useful element. ;-) There is also a Thio River, so that is nice, too. If you like the name, go for it. Kids will be teased for anything, so I really wouldn't let that stop you. Good luck, and I'm so sorry your family are being such pains about the name.

If people are giving YOU that much crap about it, just think of the person that has to sport that name their whole life.
We just gave our son a boring common name so people wouldn't judge him or his family, and to be honest, no one calls him by his name, just his nickname.

They are giving them stick because for some reason many relatives believe they have a RIGHT to a say in a child's name. They dont and so she shouldnt change it just because of that.

OP Thio is lovely :thumbup:
I would hope if I ever tried to name my child "containing sulfur" (which is what Thio means), that they would put etiquette aside and try to stop me. Children aren't canvases for parents to express their creativity and uniqueness... They too will become adults one day and try to look for a job (or not want to get teased in school).
Also if my parents named me Thio I'd be kind insulted... Sulfur isn't one of the nicest chemical elements, it stinks pretty bad.

Have u ever looked up what ure name means? cos to be perfectly honest i never have. i will say if u look up the name Theo it means a divine gift or gods gift we are just spelling her name diffrently.

If your going to be bullied at school its gonna happen doesnt matter what happens i was bullied at school for being to fat then to skinny then to shy. i remember one of the popular girls was called Stevie she never got bullied. Ive just gotta hope i can raise my daughter to be able to fend for herself when she gets older and i dont believe thats got anything to do with her name its all to do with what i teach her as she grows.

ow and i dont think anybody in a interview would turn around and say ow btw we cant hire u ure names just to weird did u no it ment sulfur lol

If people are giving YOU that much crap about it, just think of the person that has to sport that name their whole life.
We just gave our son a boring common name so people wouldn't judge him or his family, and to be honest, no one calls him by his name, just his nickname.

They are giving them stick because for some reason many relatives believe they have a RIGHT to a say in a child's name. They dont and so she shouldnt change it just because of that.

I would hope if I ever tried to name my child "containing sulfur" (which is what Thio means), that they would put etiquette aside and try to stop me. Children aren't canvases for parents to express their creativity and uniqueness... They too will become adults one day and try to look for a job (or not want to get teased in school).
Also if my parents named me Thio I'd be kind insulted... Sulfur isn't one of the nicest chemical elements, it stinks pretty bad.

Have u ever looked up what ure name means? cos to be perfectly honest i never have. i will say if u look up the name Theo it means a divine gift or gods gift we are just spelling her name diffrently.

If your going to be bullied at school its gonna happen doesnt matter what happens i was bullied at school for being to fat then to skinny then to shy. i remember one of the popular girls was called Stevie she never got bullied. Ive just gotta hope i can raise my daughter to be able to fend for herself when she gets older and i dont believe thats got anything to do with her name its all to do with what i teach her as she grows.

ow and i dont think anybody in a interview would turn around and say ow btw we cant hire u ure names just to weird did u no it ment sulfur lol

You're right because they may not even get an interview. I never knew the importance of naming a person before I worked for a headhunting firm, but as unfair as it is, people with "unique" names get significantly less interview opportunities than people with ordinary names.
So while your child's name is entirely up to you, you shouldn't just name your baby out of spite. It's not about who's right and who's wrong, it's about intentionally dishing your kid a disadvantage.
Perhaps I'm a little biased because my parents gave me a moronily "unique" name that no one can pronounce? :shrug: lol
And yes I have looked up its meaning, because all of my clients ask me every effing day wanting to know if I'm foreign or my parents were just white trash...:coffee:

I think these days lots of children have very different names... Theo/Thio isn't really unusual. It's one of baby's names in that film 'what to expect when you're expecting' I work in a nursery and trust me that name wouldn't stick out compared to what some people name their kids! :)

You're right because they may not even get an interview. I never knew the importance of naming a person before I worked for a headhunting firm, but as unfair as it is, people with "unique" names get significantly less interview opportunities than people with ordinary names.
So while your child's name is entirely up to you, you shouldn't just name your baby out of spite. It's not about who's right and who's wrong, it's about intentionally dishing your kid a disadvantage.
Perhaps I'm a little biased because my parents gave me a moronily "unique" name that no one can pronounce? :shrug: lol
And yes I have looked up its meaning, because all of my clients ask me every effing day wanting to know if I'm foreign or my parents were just white trash...:coffee:

i would never name my child out of spite. I dont think Thio is that strange at all i mean yes there arnt many children around with that name but ive heard far more "unique" names than that. If i really thought it would cause her hell at school and prevent her from getting a job i would never name her that but its just Thio its not like i wanna name her number 16 bus shelter or anything which apparently someone did name there child in new zealand lol

I like Thio :) I wanted to call sprout Thea if he/she's a girl, but DH is stubbornly refusing. I think we're going to end up with a 'safe' name, which a sort of understand since outside Wales my name isn't common and I end up having to spell it all the time. I'd also like a name special to us and at this rate, if sprout is a girl we're in trouble. I guess I'm going to have to keep working on him!

Hiya i came across these names last night while looking at names and tgese reminded me of you so thought i would share xx

Thao
Theanna
Theola
Theona
Theron

Maybe your views are different on this because YOU grew up not liking your name, Liesje. And name trends are really changing, dear. A lot of these influences are from celebrities and sports. I don't know where you got your statistics from about people with unique names have less interview opportunities. That's just discriminating against that person. Maybe that's how it is over where you live. At any rate, if I knew a company judges its applicants over their names, then I'd rather not even try because it is just wrong in so many ways. Anyway, that's illegal where I am from. But let's go back to you. I really feel you are so against unique names because you grew up always explaining yourself to people. I think you should leave her alone about her chosen name for her daughter. In the future, unique names will become trendy and "normal".

Sorry, hun. You can't shove your opinion down someone's throat. You, my dear, just gotta learn to say, "Okay, if that's what you like, then so be it." Everyone has different opinions and ideas on names. You have yours and she has hers. You can't try to change her decision. What's done is done.

I would'nt listen to what people say hun if they have nothing nice to say, You should name your daughter what you are happy with and not worry about anyone elses opinion :) Good luck hun x

Mummy2B21 - Please note
Rudeness, flaming or trolling is not tolerated on, or about, BabyandBump or its members. Any member who is intentionally disruptive may have their account restricted or banned without warning.

As a scientist I do automatically think of sulphur when I see thio and if it's spelled like that then I would presume the pronounciation would be Fi-oh, not Fee-oh. It's a lovely name though - I may have to add theo to my baby name list :D

Maybe your views are different on this because YOU grew up not liking your name, Liesje. And name trends are really changing, dear. A lot of these influences are from celebrities and sports. I don't know where you got your statistics from about people with unique names have less interview opportunities. That's just discriminating against that person. Maybe that's how it is over where you live. At any rate, if I knew a company judges its applicants over their names, then I'd rather not even try because it is just wrong in so many ways. Anyway, that's illegal where I am from. But let's go back to you. I really feel you are so against unique names because you grew up always explaining yourself to people. I think you should leave her alone about her chosen name for her daughter. In the future, unique names will become trendy and "normal".

Sorry, hun. You can't shove your opinion down someone's throat. You, my dear, just gotta learn to say, "Okay, if that's what you like, then so be it." Everyone has different opinions and ideas on names. You have yours and she has hers. You can't try to change her decision. What's done is done.
Don't call me "dear". I'm not your teeny-bopper friend. I know you can call me whatever you want because I'm "not the boss of you". Whatever.
As for where I got my statistics from, we get them from the US (where you're from) because in Canada keeping such stats is illegal. As I mentioned before, working in a headhunting firm (you know, peope who call "y'all" for interviews?) there were many subject relevant studies and articles floating around. Most of them on the topic of racism, and in the country that you claim discrimination is illegal, studies have shown that applicants with traditional white sounding names where 10 times more likely to be called for an interview than black or Mexican sounding names. I don't make the rules and I don't hire for every company in America.
I'm not trying to shove my opinion down anyone's throat, just saying before someone goes out to name their kid Da'quisha, North Tonawanda or Anfery, etc. they might wanna at least google the name first, because as creative and unique sounding it makes YOU, they have to live with it.

@Liesja - I don't think all kids/adults with unique/uncommon names don't like their name. There are people who grew to accept and love their name. One name may sound appealing to a person whereas the same name may sound odd to another. You may never understand why that person likes unique names, but that's why differences exist: differences of opinions and ideas and preferences of names.

My name is Nikita and growing up it was EXTRELEY uncommon.i love my name.have never not got a job I went or applied for,and have never been judged before being seen/heard.

Well looks like the majority of.people here really like it hun and think you should go for it :)))).x

I like it and didn't know the scientific 'version' so I can't be the only one that wouldn't pass a thought to that. Go for it!

I like it :) if there are girls out there named Ryan, then there could definitely be some Thio/Theo's :)

:flower:

xx

Hi ladies!
I like odd names as well!!

Do y'all like the name bentlie Elizabeth Boudreaux?

It's set in stone just wanted yalls option lot people like it but I go a rude comment from oh aunt!!!

Honestly, it has NOTHING to do with anyone else what you decide to name your child.

It irritates me when people do this, especially those who have had their own children. They have had their opportunity to name their children, and it is now your turn.

My mum spent 4 hours giving me names she liked - and when I told her that we had chosen our names - and we were keeping them secret - she said that I should "hold some names I liked in reserve, and when the baby was born and I'd gone through, my DH would let me choose one of those names instead"....

Errrrmmmm - we chose our children's names together, and I love them! I think she was hoping I'd choose one of hers instead.

A friend of mine side stepped all of this, by asking people to put names suggestions "into an envelope" and they would consider them once the baby was born, and they had "seen what the baby suited".

I think "envelope" really meant "bin" because they took a couple of days to name their child, and neither of the names were any of the ones suggested by friends and family. It just meant they got no hassle at all and were free to make their own choices.

THey wil get over it, just don't let them get to you.

I also think Thio is a lovely name - for what it's worth.

x

I actively dislike unusual/made up names, and I don't get the controversy over Thio at all. It looks like it sounds, it doesn't have some horrible double meaning (see awful names post) and it looks feminine and pretty to me. The grandparents will adapt. Best wishes to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->