shocked by a reply in third tri section.

tristansmum

Reaction score
So i was just noseing (sp) around in third tri section and a girl was asking when they normally induce. so most people saying 10-14 days and a few earlier for medical reasons. then i came across this:

I'm in the U.S. And my doctor told me to just let him know if and when I wanted to be induced anytime after 39 weeks. He said he really doesn't like babies going over due because the longer they are in there, the bigger they are getting and the more likely they are to need medical intervention such as cesarian etc.

I'm so shocked! I mean seriously! this doctor wants them before they are even full term!? :shrug:

Please don't all go piling in to comment as i don't want to be the cause of a agruement cause some threads can get nasty (not that i think you guys would do that ) but just wondering what you think.

Well i suppose any thing past 37 weeks is considered full term... but i like my babies fully baked and there is no way that induction would be an option for me...even at 10 days over, unless there was a medical reason for it, or my LO was in harms way.

maybe its a USA thing? xx

Honestly....i am very very glad to be in the UK sometime when i read how some doctors in America are. Everything seems so medicalised and things done for convenience sake rather then naturally

37 weeks is full term

I refused induction and went 17 days overdue

me to. I'm not oppossed to induction once overdue... like 10+plus. I was induced on due date but that was for obstetric cholestasis. its just the fact they are saying the baby is too big after 39 weeks! thats must be why on USA birth programmes the babies are often so small. on 16 and pregnant (yes i know i'm sad for watching!!) the babies are often under 7lbs

37 weeks is full term

I refused induction and went 17 days overdue

yeah i know its full term but i see 40 weeks as ful term personally. thats your 9 months of pregnancy... not 8 months and a week LOL

My Dr wanted to induce me at 10 days over and I said nope. I was due October 24th and had Madison on November 10th.

It was like 10 hours from my water breaking to her birth.

I have heard the induced labor goes slower because you are forcing your body to do something it isn't ready for.

Here is a link to my birth story:

https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-stories-announcements/461818-birth-our-daughter.html

My Dr wanted to induce me at 10 days over and I said nope. I was due October 24th and had Madison on November 10th.

It was like 10 hours from my water breaking to her birth.

I have heard the induced labor goes slower because you are forcing your body to do something it isn't ready for.

your due date is tristan's birthday! lol

Yes i didn't want to induced but with OC there is a small risk of stillbirth due to the liver releasing bile acids which can effect the baby's heart. i felt i couldn't take that risk so had the induction. it was ok but next time i hope i get to experience labour starting naturally.

I also refused induction....Tegan was born at 43 weeks exactly. Due on Jan 25th born on Feb 15th with no problems. I went into labour spontaneously at 42+6 and she appeared in the early hours of next morning. I am so glad to be in the UK although TBH I had to fight for no induction, so I wish sometimes things were easier here too.

I think its shocking, Some babys are fully cooked at 37 weeks but others need an extra 5 weeks. Your lucky if baby is born healthy if you induce early when there is no medical need to do so.

My baby was induced at 37+5 due to my appauling BP (200/100), although my labour was relativly simple and my baby was 8lbs 11! Given the choice, I would love to have labour start spontaniously the next time.

I really think babys should be left until their DD where possible.

me to. I'm not oppossed to induction once overdue... like 10+plus. I was induced on due date but that was for obstetric cholestasis. its just the fact they are saying the baby is too big after 39 weeks! thats must be why on USA birth programmes the babies are often so small. on 16 and pregnant (yes i know i'm sad for watching!!) the babies are often under 7lbs

I don't post in here but I stumbled upon this thread and I just want to say that on 16 and pregnant it's often the girls lifestyles that make for small babies, not medical care.

I feel mixed about this tbh, I don't like how Dr's in UK can leave you up to 14 days. The placenta can begin to deteriorate after 40 weeks. I think 7 days would be a happy medium xx

I don't post in here but I stumbled upon this thread and I just want to say that on 16 and pregnant it's often the girls lifestyles that make for small babies, not medical care.

Some people just don't have big babies :shrug: I have had 4- my first was 7lb 4, Second was 6lb 4, Third again was 6lb 4 and Fourth was 7lb. I dont smoke or drink, and have no medical problems.

So i was just noseing (sp) around in third tri section and a girl was asking when they normally induce. so most people saying 10-14 days and a few earlier for medical reasons. then i came across this:

I'm in the U.S. And my doctor told me to just let him know if and when I wanted to be induced anytime after 39 weeks. He said he really doesn't like babies going over due because the longer they are in there, the bigger they are getting and the more likely they are to need medical intervention such as cesarian etc.

I'm so shocked! I mean seriously! this doctor wants them before they are even full term!? :shrug:

Please don't all go piling in to comment as i don't want to be the cause of a agruement cause some threads can get nasty (not that i think you guys would do that ) but just wondering what you think.

Privately, someone might like to send that lady a link to The Business of Being Born. In the US it really IS a business. tHere is no healthcare, and pregnancy and birth are "illnesses". The more procedures they can do, the more money they make... Don't look now, ladies. We in the UK are not far behind :(

I feel mixed about this tbh, I don't like how Dr's in UK can leave you up to 14 days. The placenta can begin to deteriorate after 40 weeks. I think 7 days would be a happy medium xx

Drs would love you to believe that every minute after 40 weeks the placenta deteriorates but I was having scans every other day from 12 days overdue until Tegan was born to check both fluid levels and placenta function and there was NO deterioration and she was born perfectly healthy and straightforwardly. Some Drs just want to deliver you at their convenience.

Drs would love you to believe that every minute after 40 weeks the placenta deteriorates but I was having scans every other day from 12 days overdue until Tegan was born to check both fluid levels and placenta function and there was NO deterioration and she was born perfectly healthy and straightforwardly. Some Drs just want to deliver you at their convenience.

Nothing to do with what a Dr has told me, I have many friends- too many- that have lost their baby because of this. I have never known anybody In the UK, to be scanned because they were overdue??

Nothing to do with what a Dr has told me, I have many friends- too many- that have lost their baby because of this. I have never known anybody In the UK, to be scanned because they were overdue??

If you refuse induction at 10/12 days then you can ask for monitoring which is usually daily scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->