shocked by a reply in third tri section.

I'm talking about a birth that's going as planned without medical intervention and their is SD. It is accurate because the doctor who told me that was told that by his malpractice and also looked it up himself.

Fair enough, I see your point :) I'm not sure how common a natural birth with SD really is though.

Fair enough, I see your point :) I'm not sure how common a natural birth with SD really is though.

There not common at all unless the mother has GD. Most cases are caused by women being stuck on their backs, epidurals, pitocin ect

Niamhs SD was caused because of interventions but necessary intervention. Why would i try to sue the person who prevented my daughter from dying?

sorry i haven't thanked everyone but "THANKS" for all your responses. some i agree with and others not so but its lovely to read a tread where everyone can discuss something with out it turning nasty. LOL

There not common at all unless the mother has GD. Most cases are caused by women being stuck on their backs, epidurals, pitocin ect

Niamhs SD was caused because of interventions but necessary intervention. Why would i try to sue the person who prevented my daughter from dying?

Unfortunately litigation in the US is completely outrageous. I live on the border and we have all American TV (specifically local Vermont and New Hampshire), it's like every other commercial is a medical malpractice lawyer looking to cash in, it's really obscene. Doctors in the US are terrified and they really have the right to be.

NaturalMomma - there are some taht would argue that there are distinct disadvantages to the FOB being at the birth! Many reasons, including bringing adrenaline into the room, and/or because the labouring woman sometimes ends up "carrying" her partner emotionally instead of the other way round. I know one lady who KNEW that her partner was extremely upset to see her in pain. She was expending energy trying to HIDE her pain. She kept getting up and going to the loo to be TOTALLY on her own just so she could moan through the sensations. Is it any wonder her baby "got stuck" when she couldn't open up and let go in front of her partner, because she didn't want to upset him?! Yeah, it's a whole nutha topic.... Sorry.

Exactly! I've had many clients who didn't have their husbands with them because the mom didn't want them there, or they were there at first but mom threw them out. Some DH's are just not good with labor and birth and are a hinderence to mom.

I have family members and family friends who deliver babies (they're doctors) and let me break it down for you all.
In the U.S., when it comes to OBGYN malpractice, mothers will win almost every case. Because mothers will sue over the drop of a hat (these mainly being uneducated and ignorant mothers who are money hungry) the doctors have to do whatever they can to cover their butts. The malpractice rules set their standard because no malpractice insurance wants to pay anything out.
For example: If a baby's shoulders get caught in the birth canal during labor a mother can sue just because of that, even though it's a pure anatomy issue the doctor has nothing to do with and that's a lawsuit she will automatically win.
So doctors will do things that way and will also push for c-sections when they aren't necessary. They will use scare tactics and anything they can to get women to have c-sections because it's easier on them. They don't have to wait or be up all night or anything like that if someone has a scheduled c-section.
I am disgusted with that kind of practice which is why I see my OBGYN. They have decent malpractice insurance and all the doctors, PA's and nurse practioners have a common goal for all pregnant women at their practice: Vaginal birth unless it is medically necessary!
I'm diabetic and they also agree it's not in my best interest to have a c-section...because it's major abdominal surgery.

Exactly, and that is a huge problem with the US maternity care system. I also have OBGYNs amongst family and friends, and the stories I hear, are just sad. Suing a Doctor should be harder. You shouldn't be able to sue just because something went wrong, because many times no one is to blame. And when going to before the board they should look at what went wrong. SD that wasn't caused by anything? Case should be thrown out. This is why ALL interventions should be ONLY used when medically needed, that way we don't have cases of lawsuits because a complication happened because an intervention was used that wasn't needed.

NaturalMomma - there are some taht would argue that there are distinct disadvantages to the FOB being at the birth! Many reasons, including bringing adrenaline into the room, and/or because the labouring woman sometimes ends up "carrying" her partner emotionally instead of the other way round. I know one lady who KNEW that her partner was extremely upset to see her in pain. She was expending energy trying to HIDE her pain. She kept getting up and going to the loo to be TOTALLY on her own just so she could moan through the sensations. Is it any wonder her baby "got stuck" when she couldn't open up and let go in front of her partner, because she didn't want to upset him?! Yeah, it's a whole nutha topic.... Sorry.

I certainly did not labour well with hubby around first time, by the time I got to hospital I was so concerned for him I didnt think of me.

He didnt bother coming to theatre with me in the end anyway he may as well have not been there until afterwards!

Fair enough, I see your point :) I'm not sure + how common a natural birth with SD really is though.

In the US it's not common anymore, however with malpractice there are certain things a mother will automatically win. It's very disgusting just because people will do anything to get money. I would never sue my OBGYN for something like that..but that's why so many doctors push c-sections. OBGYN malpractice is the most expensive in the US when it comes to malpractice because they get sued the most.

Lozzy- I disagree. GD can be a reason for a big baby, but it's not only women who have GD having large babies. Some women just have large babies. I dated a guy (before my DH) who's mom had all 10lbs+ babies vaginally...her son was 12lbs at birth.

As for FOB being at the birth...he won't be when I have our baby. To me, it's a woman's thing and I would feel better if I just had my best friend, my doctors and my doula...

I keep typing and deleting. The system for law suits in America must be very different to the UK

Little monster i dident say that its only women with GD that have large babys. I said that most women who get SD do so because of interventions or the mother being in a bad position. Its also caused by having a big baby BUT the chances of your body growing a baby that is to big for it to birth are really small unless the mother had GD which can cause the baby to grow too big for the mother.

A woman with a normal size baby can have SD because of interventions and a mother with GD can get SD in a natural birth because the baby is too big for her but the chances of a woman having a natural birth who doesent have GD getting SD are slim to none.

I keep typing and deleting. The system for law suits in America must be very different to the UK

It really is I think. :hugs: I know from being from the US and from my recent visit that there is a large cultural element of who can you sue. So things are over the top in terms of doctors trying to cover themselves.

I think I read once that the average Dr is paid around $140k/year and the average malpractice insurance is something like $70k per year.
OB/GYN is a diminishing speciality-especially outside the cities- because the malpractice insurance rates are so high doctors cannot afford to practice. And like insurance does, if anything does happen in terms of a claim the rates increase....

id like to see what the doctor mentioned in the original post would say about my babies and pregnancys then lol, from the medical history we have of my family no woman in my direct blood line has had a baby before 40wks unless they have been induced or having multiples, and in the cases left go naturally all the babies born after 40wks have been 9lb + in weight
My mother gave birth at 42wks to a 10lb 4oz baby and and at 43+3 to a 10lb 6oz baby, I have had 9lb 10oz boy at 40+13 and 10lb 12oz boy at 40+11 and if left naturally i fully expect this one to come at 41 +wks and be 10lb+, none of the natural births in my family have had complications except my firstborn who needed ventouse assistance because he had his arm up in front of his face and got stuck with that big ol' head of his that he got from my OH ( cheers darling ) and i didnt have the will with it being my first baby and 55+ hrs in labor to push him out myself lol ( with hindsight i could see i was fighting the contractions ,tensing up and not helping myself ) my larger baby I was induced ( one lot of gel hardly an induction ) and we found out afterwards why my body needed that because i was acutely anemic my body was protecting itself from blood loss caus that one lot of gel was enough of a push start for a nice easy under 8 hour labor and 20min of pushing and he was out with no issues it was me that had the issues lol.

my consultant this time thinks im obviously capable of giving birth to a nearly 11lb baby so why worry about things unless i measure big ( i didnt with either of the others which hints to me baby has got to be ALOT bigger before i measure bigger lol ) I dont have GD and havent with any pregnancy i know my body "can" do it but with my SPD i want to be careful this time caus i dont want the 4 month post birth recovery time I had with ds2

It really is I think. :hugs: I know from being from the US and from my recent visit that there is a large cultural element of who can you sue. So things are over the top in terms of doctors trying to cover themselves.

I think I read once that the average Dr is paid around $140k/year and the average malpractice insurance is something like $70k per year.
OB/GYN is a diminishing speciality-especially outside the cities- because the malpractice insurance rates are so high doctors cannot afford to practice. And like insurance does, if anything does happen in terms of a claim the rates increase....

Thank you for explaining to me, because here you dont sue individual doctors, you sue the NHS/hospital. Like I sued the hospital because Honey died from medical negligence (I am not a money hungry bitch, no money would bring my girl back but they refused to learn from their mistakes, and so it was the only way to bring in changes that prevent it from happening to another baby/family) and it took three years and ten months of fighting with them for it to finish. So it is a long, hard, emotional process here.

id like to see what the doctor mentioned in the original post would say about my babies and pregnancys then lol, from the medical history we have of my family no woman in my direct blood line has had a baby before 40wks unless they have been induced or having multiples, and in the cases left go naturally all the babies born after 40wks have been 9lb + in weight
My mother gave birth at 42wks to a 10lb 4oz baby and and at 43+3 to a 10lb 6oz baby, I have had 9lb 10oz boy at 40+13 and 10lb 12oz boy at 40+11 and if left naturally i fully expect this one to come at 41 +wks and be 10lb+, none of the natural births in my family have had complications except my firstborn who needed ventouse assistance because he had his arm up in front of his face and got stuck with that big ol' head of his that he got from my OH ( cheers darling ) and i didnt have the will with it being my first baby and 55+ hrs in labor to push him out myself lol ( with hindsight i could see i was fighting the contractions ,tensing up and not helping myself ) my larger baby I was induced ( one lot of gel hardly an induction ) and we found out afterwards why my body needed that because i was acutely anemic my body was protecting itself from blood loss caus that one lot of gel was enough of a push start for a nice easy under 8 hour labor and 20min of pushing and he was out with no issues it was me that had the issues lol.

my consultant this time thinks im obviously capable of giving birth to a nearly 11lb baby so why worry about things unless i measure big ( i didnt with either of the others which hints to me baby has got to be ALOT bigger before i measure bigger lol ) I dont have GD and havent with any pregnancy i know my body "can" do it but with my SPD i want to be careful this time caus i dont want the 4 month post birth recovery time I had with ds2

I'm a bit OT but wanted to say ..... I'm so pleased to read your post about babies in your family arriving post 40 weeks - thank you for posting - I'm trying to stay positive that this baby is coming - DS was 42+4 with CS after 'failed' induction. Even being post 41wks, you start to feel the pressure :)

Tasha :hugs:

So i was just noseing (sp) around in third tri section and a girl was asking when they normally induce. so most people saying 10-14 days and a few earlier for medical reasons. then i came across this:

I'm in the U.S. And my doctor told me to just let him know if and when I wanted to be induced anytime after 39 weeks. He said he really doesn't like babies going over due because the longer they are in there, the bigger they are getting and the more likely they are to need medical intervention such as cesarian etc.

I'm so shocked! I mean seriously! this doctor wants them before they are even full term!? :shrug:

Please don't all go piling in to comment as i don't want to be the cause of a agruement cause some threads can get nasty (not that i think you guys would do that ) but just wondering what you think.

I hadn't heard of a doctor doing this until recently. My sister-in-law is currently in induced labor...at 40w 1d. And her doctor told her she could schedule anytime after she hit 39 weeks. She took the absolute first available spot at the hospital. My jaw dropped when I heard this! Most women want to avoid induction because the extra interventions, pain, etc. But got word this morning that less than 3 hours after starting the induction, she also had an epidural. I just can't imagine...seriously. Of course I am dead-set on a minimal intervention birth. I will be induced at 39 weeks because of my gestational diabetes - I just don't have the energy to argue against it at this point, but I've thought about it a lot.

^^^ PLEASE make your own decisions and take responsibility for your own health and your body

GD doesn't mean automatic induction. It is your choice. take in on evidence and NOT policy> know the risks of induction V allowing your pregnancy to continue.

I had GD with my first baby and all tests were fine> but they still wanted to induce ME. I couldnt DO that.

I inderstand you don't want to fight, but you don't have to; just state what your wishes are and ask yourself who are they protecting? Your health and welbeing or thier interests?

It IS important how your baby is born> it will effect you for the rest of your life

Hugs
XXX

Thank you for explaining to me, because here you dont sue individual doctors, you sue the NHS/hospital. Like I sued the hospital because Honey died from medical negligence (I am not a money hungry bitch, no money would bring my girl back but they refused to learn from their mistakes, and so it was the only way to bring in changes that prevent it from happening to another baby/family) and it took three years and ten months of fighting with them for it to finish. So it is a long, hard, emotional process here.

If you don't mind me asking what did Honey die from? I lost my daughter due to a subgael hemmorage (due to them using the vaccum.) and her umbilical cord being wrapped around her neck. But autopsy only mentioned the subgael hemmorage. And I thought about doing something.. not even for money.. but maybe for them to have to go back to school to learn how to use a stupid vaccum!

This makes me so mad, if the baby was ready, it would come naturally. I understand not wanting to go beyond 42 weeks, personally I will avoid induction as long as possible, but I get it. But before 40 weeks unless there is a medical reason seems silly, the baby is obviously not ready to come out yet, leave it cooking! The doctors here are all about convenience though, unfortunately.

^^^ PLEASE make your own decisions and take responsibility for your own health and your body

GD doesn't mean automatic induction. It is your choice. take in on evidence and NOT policy> know the risks of induction V allowing your pregnancy to continue.

I had GD with my first baby and all tests were fine> but they still wanted to induce ME. I couldnt DO that.

I inderstand you don't want to fight, but you don't have to; just state what your wishes are and ask yourself who are they protecting? Your health and welbeing or thier interests?

It IS important how your baby is born> it will effect you for the rest of your life

Hugs
XXX

It doesn't really matter much anymore because my baby is still currently breech and refusing all attempts to move her. I will most likely end up with a c-section if she doesn't turn in 3 weeks. There is no such thing as a breech vaginal birth where I'm at. No one does it. I'm still praying and talking to the little one in hopes that she'll turn, but she's been this way for at least 6 weeks now. I'm in my mourning phase for the birth that I desired right now. I am somewhat consoled by the fact that the doctors around here do eagerly encourage VBACs, so hopefully in the future I will be able to have a normal delivery if it doesn't happen this time.

Oh kdea, what a naughty baby! I really hope she turns for you!

https://www.birthinternational.com/articles/midwifery/37-if-your-baby-is-breech

Using moxibustion to encourage the baby to turn by itself (there are photos on the link showing how to position the moxibustion)

A very successful "do it yourself" technique with a proven high success rate is to use locally applied heat treatment.

The heat from burning moxa sticks can also be used to stimulate the baby's movements and encourage it to turn. These sticks, shaped like cigars, are available from herbalists, Chinese medicine stockists and some acupuncturists (who use moxa sticks for other purposes) and they contain tightly rolled dried leaves of the mugwort plant. They are very inexpensive and two sticks will be needed - they can be used several times.

Sit on a chair and place each foot on a book with your little toes hanging over the edge. Place each stick on another book with the tip in the gap.

Light the sticks (they burn with no flame but an intense heat and pungent smell) and position the hot tip as close as possible to the outside of each little toe, with the heat directed at the point just above the toe nail. Leave in place for 20 minutes. Be careful not to touch the skin as you will burn yourself. The heat should be as strong as you can tolerate, for the best effect.

After a few minutes, you will notice the baby begin to kick and move. The primary aim of the moxibustion treatment is to encourage the baby to move around and thus increase the effect of gravity which will help the heaviest part of the baby (its head) to turn over and enter into the pelvis.

This simple treatment is best done just before bed, starting at 34 - 36 weeks. It takes several hours for the baby to turn, and this will be easier if you are lying down, because the baby will not be sitting as firmly into the pelvis. Continue over several nights, or until the baby has turned itself.

A randomised controlled trial (see below) indicates that at approximately 70% of breech babies will turn using this method. If the baby does not turn from its breech position, external cephalic version should be attempted just before labour begins. Further information can be found in the Cochrane Library.

If, after trying the moxibustion and/or external cephalic version, the baby does not move into a head down position, there may be a good reason why the baby prefers to remain in the breech position -perhaps the placenta is positioned low down, limiting the space for the baby's head in the lower part of the uterus or the uterus itself is shaped unusually and is restricting the baby's movements. If the baby does not turn easily, then it must be assumed that the baby needs to stay where it is, and options for the birth (either by caesarean or vaginally) will need to be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->