shocked by a reply in third tri section.

No placenta is the same, just as no babys are the same. Some might stop working propperly at 40+2 and others are still going fine at 43.

Don't you ladies realize that in the past 40 years the pelvis of the American woman has shrank considerably!!!

It has become about control, and money and not being sued to be honest.

Don't you ladies realize that in the past 40 years the pelvis of the American woman has shrank considerably!!!

I honestly dont believe that, it sounds like some crap a doctor has said to make women more complacent to an unnecessary over medicalised birth.

My Noah was born 16 days over due, I was taken for induction at 14 days and then sent home as they were too busy to cope :dohh:

Due to my experience and it was a bit scary, Noah ended up getting stuck and I was rushed to theatre and then I got quite ill, it all happened so quickly and it was horrible. I still think it was due to the size of him (his head was mahoooosive) - I was always measuring 'bigger' when I was pregnant but they weren't prepared to do anything for me earlier. I will fight, argue and pleed to be induced if I hadn't gone naturally by by due date - thats just because of my own experience - I'd like a 'less traumatic' birth and an actual baby next time, not give birth to a full grown toddler :haha:

Most US women have epidurals in labour, isn't it something like 85-90% in many places?

Epidurals are a contributor to shoulder dystocia, along with induction and other major interventions. It makes sense that doctors are paranoid of this, so they seem to want to induce early for smaller babies. Vicious cycle. Shoulder dystocia is one of the leading complaints against doctors in the US...

I had an induction with my son. No clue as to what I know now. I was at least 41+6 ..however it sickens me doctors think babies should be born before 40 weeks. My sons birth was traumatic and he had to go in the NICU for 1 hr under oxygen.

Thankfully my naturopath/midwife said after 42 weeks they monitor and do ultrasounds and go from there. This baby wont be induced unless there is a medical emergency.

On the other hand I have a friend who had planned c sections before 40 weeks, why because her first one she was told he would be to big, 8 lbs is to big? and the second one of course you cant have a VBAC :wacko:

I honestly dont believe that, it sounds like some crap a doctor has said to make women more complacent to an unnecessary over medicalised birth.

Neither do I. But I hear it all the time. A friend, a woman in prenatal yoga, at my son's preschool all being induced so their babies don't get too big. The problem is that with such high epidural rates, which puts a woman flat on her back causes her pelvis to be not able to open as it should when she is upright. Hence the baby is too big and her pelvis too small. It's all just bullshit.

It has become about control, and money and not being sued to be honest.

i think you are being sarcastic about shrinking pelvis. am i right? If so it made me giggle. :haha:

I'm an American living here in the UK, and I've got to jump in a defend (a bit)... :winkwink: I've had 4 babies, 2 in civilian hospitals, and 2 in Army hospitals, and each was a completely different birthing experience. My eldest son was 10 days late before I was induced (American military hospital). They induced because they were worried if left to his own, he'd get too big, and I was wanting a VBAC. He was born 10 days "late" at 8 lbs, 10 ozs. My OTHER military birth, I was induced "early", June 12th, when his due date was June 15th. I was dilated and ready, but not in labor. Stupid doctor insisted on inducing me as he was worried it would get too busy on the weekend. He was born healthy, at 8 pounds even. I always felt a bit cheated about that birth...

I'm sure the original post was about a military birth, so monetary functions don't really come into play, as doctors in the military are not paid the same way civilian doctors are.

All I'm saying is that every birth is different, and every doctor is different, no matter where you're from. I've also given birth in Germany, and I have to say, best experience so far! Loved it.... :kiss: But that could have been down to the day that I gave birth, and the staff on hand that day. Maybe could have been a completely different story had I gone in to labor 12 hours later. xx

I find this quite shocking too, and also I thought that after a certain point, like 37 weeks or something, they are their birthweight and don't really get bigger - e.g Ruby was born at 41+2 and was 7lb 2oz - just under the 50th centile I think. There are loads of babies of people I knew who were 2-3 weeks earlier than Ruby and MUCH bigger.

I lived in London when I was pregnant with Ruby and their policy was to offer induction at 42 weeks, whereas now I live in Kent and they want to induce at 41+3 - which I will of course be declining if I get that far, that's only one day over Ruby's gestation, and there wasn't even an induction date booked when i went into labour with her. I definitely don't want an induction booked until I'm 42 weeks + if I get that far, don't want that hanging over me making me stressed which is hardly going to help me go naturally.

What do these doctors class as big though?

Il be advised on growth scans next time but have allready been told they dont like to induce you just because your having a big baby as it just leads to more problems but Niamh was 8lb 15 at 35 weeks.

Il be advised on growth scans next time but have allready been told they dont like to induce you just because your having a big baby as it just leads to more problems but Niamh was 8lb 15 at 35 weeks.

wow! i would call her big! at 35 weeks! lol can you imagine if you'd gone 2 weeks over with her! But surly they can't keep growing rapidly... otherwise some babies would be enourmous

I feel mixed about this tbh, I don't like how Dr's in UK can leave you up to 14 days. The placenta can begin to deteriorate after 40 weeks. I think 7 days would be a happy medium xx

Drs would love you to believe that every minute after 40 weeks the placenta deteriorates but I was having scans every other day from 12 days overdue until Tegan was born to check both fluid levels and placenta function and there was NO deterioration and she was born perfectly healthy and straightforwardly. Some Drs just want to deliver you at their convenience.

You can get scans to see if the placenta is not working as well. Once I hit 41 weeks, my doctor is sending me for an ultrasound to see if the fluid levels are ok, placenta is still working, etc and she has no problem with me not getting induced as long as everything is ok, but she'll offer it anyways. She's had a couple of patients that went into their 43rd week of pregnancy and their placenta was working great, fluid levels were good and they delivered a very healthy baby that wasn't that big (right around 7 pounds).

I think it's a USA thing. If you look at One Born Every Minute USA, they all appear to be induced in the featured hospital. I don't know if every hospital is like that, but I believe it's very common.

That can be common in USA. I've heard of many women saying their Doctors told them anytime after 38 weeks they can induce. It is just crazy. It is extremely rare (less than 1%) to "grow" a baby too big to fit through the birth canal. That is in rare cases of uncontrolled GD or other problems. The pelvis is also a unfixed joint. It can move to get bigger. Doctors can be so dumb sometimes.

I had to have fetal monitoring but it wasn't everyday. I told the Dr that I felt the human body knew what it was doing and that my baby would come when it was ready.
I do not believe in induction because it is forcing your body to do something before it is ready.

It may be a coincidence but every woman I've known who was induced and had an epidural had an extremely long labor. My sis in law had both and was in labor for 22 hours.
I let my body decide when it was time for Madison to come and I did not have an epidural. I checked into hospital at around 10:00 a.m. and had Madison at 4:55 p.m.

I have read loads of information stating that placenta reaches it's peak at 37 weeks and by 40 patches can be seen on it and it doesn't give as much nutrients.
I don't want an epidural but I do want to be induced if I do go past my due date.
I have spoken to loads of women who have gone over due and it's caused issues.
Worst story was a woman in work and her sisters baby was born sleeping, she'd gone a week and a bit overdue, baby had been fine in checks then one day just died.
PM showed placenta had just failed and she was told it's just one of those things....

Everyone has a different opinion but I wish I could just give birth as soon as baby is healthy and considered full term.

wow! i would call her big! at 35 weeks! lol can you imagine if you'd gone 2 weeks over with her! But surly they can't keep growing rapidly... otherwise some babies would be enourmous

Right. They keep putting on fat, but their head doesn't keep growing at an exponential rate ;)

Yes it's definitely a USA thing and if you watch "The Business of Being Born" it will give you a sense of what it's like there and why it is sooo messed up! Didn't you know women don't know how to birth babies anymore? (and yes I am being sarcastic with the last line!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->