Shocked by doctor re: weaning

It has JUST been changed back to 4 months. It didnt work at 6 months, it was too late. Alot of babies really struggled with it and alot of mums did it at 4 months any way. So no Dr was right dear.

This is just sooo wrong! Where did you get all this information from?!

And I'm not sure who you were aiming that at, even though it wasn't me, I found "dear" patronising and slightly offensive

I'm assuming it was aimed at me as I complained my doctor was wrong but I don't mind, its hard to offend me!

I know a lot of people disagree with weaning at 4 months, I'm not fussed either way, it's up to the parent whether they choose to do it at 4 months or 6 months (unless you use BLW obviously) What I think is important to stress is that it IS the reccomendation to wean at 6 months, NOT the rule.

I know a lot of people disagree with weaning at 4 months, I'm not fussed either way, it's up to the parent whether they choose to do it at 4 months or 6 months (unless you use BLW obviously) What I think is important to stress is that it IS the reccomendation to wean at 6 months, NOT the rule.

Yeah, I agree, it's up to the parent.

But when people are denying that the recommendation is correct, people have the right to ask what they base their claims on. And when people are denying that the recommendation is even 6 months then people have every right to tell them they're wrong because... they are :shrug:

Can I hold out a white flag?

I dont want to fall out with anybody on here so I apologise for my snappyness.

I'll do whatever I feel is best for my baby and so will others I'm sure.

x

Yeah, I agree, it's up to the parent.

But when people are denying that the recommendation is correct, people have the right to ask what they base their claims on. And when people are denying that the recommendation is even 6 months then people have every right to tell them they're wrong because... they are :shrug:

I agree with that. The WHO guidelines do state 6 months as the recommended age for weaning. But like I said, it's not the rule. A lot of things are recommended by "professionals" like using RF car seats, BFing, not co-sleeping etc but again, not everyone will follow these guidelines which is why they are just that, guidelines.

Of course newmummy, it's fine to do whatever you feel is best (within reason obv!) but I personally will always highlight any incorrect or misleading information that is bandied about, because someone's baby COULD suffer from it.

There's no need for anyone to fall out. We're all adults, we can disagree and still stay friends!

x

I don't think anyone wants to fall out hun, just make sure that all information that is presented is as correct as can be. There is a LOT of misleading information all over the internet, it's a bit of a minefield really!

Wow, weaning seems to be a topic that really gets up a debate!

As much as I enjoy a debate, this one never seems to get resolved so might be best to steer clear...

x

I don't think anyone wants to fall out hun, just make sure that all information that is presented is as correct as can be. There is a LOT of misleading information all over the internet, it's a bit of a minefield really!

tell me about it, when im ill and google symptoms i truly convince myself im dying...!

xx

Isobelle has doubled her birth weight since birth and she isnt quite 4months. the reason i will be weaning early is to slow this down, on the advice of my HV.

i think the moral of this story is

your the parent do what you feel best.

i will not be reading this thread again because there is so much conflicting advice its just doing my head in.

•Holding his or her head up and controlling head movements.
•Sitting well when supported.
•Making chewing motions.
•Doubling his or her birth weight.
•Being unsatisfied after a full milk feed
•Demanding increasing and more frequent milk feeds
•Attempting to put things in his or her mouth
•After a period of sleeping through the night waking in the night with hunger
•Displaying curiosity about what you are eating.

Isobelle is displaying all of these signs so therefor IMO, MY daughter is ready.

Enjoy debating ladies.

Just so as not to mislead anyone - none of those are signs of a need for weaning. Some of them are normal developmental phases / milestones, and the rest of them are signs of a growth spurt which is very normal at 3-5 months. It used to be thought that these were signs of needing weaning, but we know more now and these are now often described as 'false signs'.

The NHS has a good page regarding this: https://www.nhs.uk/start4life/pages/no-rush-to-mush.aspx

this is really true, Rowan went through a phase of waking up in the night several times for a week or so at 5 months and hv was convinced it was because he was hungry but he went back to sttn and it wasn't down to food just another milestone, same goes for everything else, we started blw at 6 months and 2 weeks and only recently has started swallowing food so he was one of the ones ready later.

Isobelle has doubled her birth weight since birth and she isnt quite 4months. the reason i will be weaning early is to slow this down, on the advice of my HV.

i think the moral of this story is

your the parent do what you feel best.

i will not be reading this thread again because there is so much conflicting advice its just doing my head in.

•Holding his or her head up and controlling head movements.
•Sitting well when supported.
•Making chewing motions.
•Doubling his or her birth weight.
•Being unsatisfied after a full milk feed
•Demanding increasing and more frequent milk feeds
•Attempting to put things in his or her mouth
•After a period of sleeping through the night waking in the night with hunger
•Displaying curiosity about what you are eating.

Isobelle is displaying all of these signs so therefor IMO, MY daughter is ready.

Enjoy debating ladies.

Just so as not to mislead anyone - none of those are signs of a need for weaning. Some of them are normal developmental phases / milestones, and the rest of them are signs of a growth spurt which is very normal at 3-5 months. It used to be thought that these were signs of needing weaning, but we know more now and these are now often described as 'false signs'.

The NHS has a good page regarding this: https://www.nhs.uk/start4life/pages/no-rush-to-mush.aspx

this is really true, Rowan went through a phase of waking up in the night several times for a week or so at 5 months and hv was convinced it was because he was hungry but he went back to sttn and it wasn't down to food just another milestone, same goes for everything else, we started blw at 6 months and 2 weeks and only recently has started swallowing food so he was one of the ones ready later.

HVs seem to think weaning will solve everything.
Maybe weaning is the answer to all worldwide conflict? Climate change? :haha:

with Isobelle STTN the night since 9weeks, when she woke up 2x on 2 consecutive nights and I didn't have a clue what was wrong, my OH chose to feed her, which made me angry, but she did go back to sleep for another 4hours, but i'm not convinced she was hungry :shrug:

ive heard of 4month sleep regression and im sure she is teething ... :wacko:

i know im her mummy but felt bad pointing that out to OH, IYKWIM?

*ooops sorry O/T!!

:blush:

xx

Shall I start up a thread about RF v ERF, that'll take the heat off this one I'm sure :haha:

On another note, I posted a thread in the weaning section about advice for when I think Ava-Mae is ready to be weaned, if anyone cares to take a look and post... (no one has done so far :( )

Oh and Natsku if this thread ends up getting super heated and locked, you will be waaaaaaay to cool for loser club :p

xx

Shall I start up a thread about RF v ERF, that'll take the heat off this one I'm sure :haha:

On another note, I posted a thread in the weaning section about advice for when I think Ava-Mae is ready to be weaned, if anyone cares to take a look and post... (no one has done so far :( )

Oh and Natsku if this thread ends up getting super heated and locked, you will be waaaaaaay to cool for loser club :p

xx

NOOOOOO I don't wanna be too cool for the loser club!!

xx

What are those abbreviations??

I'm too scared to advise re:weaning. Wait til 6 months LOL!! xx

with Isobelle STTN the night since 9weeks, when she woke up 2x on 2 consecutive nights and I didn't have a clue what was wrong, my OH chose to feed her, which made me angry, but she did go back to sleep for another 4hours, but i'm not convinced she was hungry :shrug:

ive heard of 4month sleep regression and im sure she is teething ... :wacko:

i know im her mummy but felt bad pointing that out to OH, IYKWIM?

*ooops sorry O/T!!

:blush:

xx

i hope this doesnt come across as "offensive" but im just curious...why are you angry that he fed her? if she drank it she was hungry! 3 months theres a huge growth spurt, infact ti was the worst one my LO had. he was waking 2 or 3 times a night and drinking a hell of a lot more milk. but if shes drinking the bottle then she IS hungry and she DOES need it. so i would just go with the flow if i were you, after a few weeks it'll go back to normal.

its not a sign of weaning though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"