shortening names

kirstyloo82

Reaction score
how do you feel about pepole shortening your kids names? my mum calls mine deacs (hes deacon) and winter she calls winnie. i have told her but its starting to bother me more and more. i have outright told her that i dont want the baby called winnie, but she carries on. me and dh always call them by there proper names (unless monkey/monster/gorgeous etc!) am i just being sensitive?

u cant really shorten zane lol but ppl call him zane-o which i hate and have told them to stop others including me call him zaney lol

not at all! Your kids... you named them etc :)
I dont mind name shortening personally but its family that uses it, anyone outside the family etc use their full names... and we use their full names when we r out and about etc.

Joani gets called jo-jo and Elinor gets called nelly.

i shorten logan's to lj as hes logan james, but if u dont like people shortening ur kids names then theres nothing wrong with telling them, their ur kids, u named em. xx

Totally understand where you are coming from,as for grannies i get the feeling that there is no talking to them but as long as you make sure everyone else calls them by their full names gran will just appear to be an odd eccentric old lady who doesn't know their names-ha ha. (hope i haven't offended you by calling your mum an old lady) My little girl is called Ellis and i'm quite specific in her being called that and it not being abbreviated to ellie- although once she's older i guess its up to her what she prefers

I don't mind my CLOSE family shortening Daniel's name... But i do mind strangers calling by dodgy versions.

If I have a girl this time, we probably will call her Elizabeth, but the only shortening I like from that time is Lily. (Absolutely don't like Bessy, Betty, Lizzy and etc.) So I already told my mum that Lily is the name I would like a girl being called and she respects it.
I think it is your baby and you decide how to call him/her. And if you don't like shortenings people have to respect it.

:hug:

You gave them their names because that's what you wanted them to be known as!!

I'd tell her - politely but firmly. Keep putting her right everytime she says it wrong and she'll get the message ;) If not slap her....joking!!

I dont mind it - Emily gets Em and Hebe gets Heebs, Jeebs, Jeebie...infact the poor bugger probably thinks she's called anything BUT Hebe!!

x

edit to say - I dont mind it BUT if someone else did and I knew that I would NEVER shorten their childs name. :D

I don't mind it. As I call her by her shortened name too. Which is "Lex"

The thing I don't like is nicknames my dad calls her. "Googy" "Goog" "Timmy Malet" ? Ha I absolutely hate that.

I dont mind it - Emily gets Em and Hebe gets Heebs, Jeebs, Jeebie...infact the poor bugger probably thinks she's called anything BUT Hebe!!

:rofl: you make me laugh lisa... we call courtney... court the wart... courtney bean and little terror... :)

... but seriously if you dont like it I would tell her and correct her EVERYTIME she said their names wrong... i do that when ppl say "ta" to courtney!! xx

i think that was a tad innopriate there...

but i love the name ty! its great:)

I hate it if someone calls Thomas 'Tom' and I'll always put them straight! Obviously its up to him what he is called when he is older but while he is little its Thomas!

You can try to explain to them not to shorten and why.

For me personally, it's a bit difficult to shorten Kayleigh and no one has even thought to.

Her dad calls her "Tiny" and our niece (who just turned 2) calls her K-baby (she was trying to say baby Kayleigh and got it mixed up so now it's K-baby) and that has stuck even I've been guilty of it :)

But you are the parents and can ask them to not shorten it.

brandon gets shortened to bran...i hate it
bradley gets brads..i hate this too
kai cant be shortened but he does get kai-kai i cant stand it as hes 9 now..
archie is beginning to get called arch if id have wanted him to be named after a brick structure i would have said so lol...i hate names being shortened..if you didnt already guess lol

My little sister's name is Gina. Mom calls her Lucy.....short for Lucifer. hahahaha

:rofl: you make me laugh lisa... we call courtney... court the wart... courtney bean and little terror... :)

... but seriously if you dont like it I would tell her and correct her EVERYTIME she said their names wrong... i do that when ppl say "ta" to courtney!! xx

:rofl:Kerry all of Courtney's nicknames are longer than her name

I absolutely hate people shortening my childrens names, or making nickname

Naomi is too difficult to shorten, Kaysie is too little just yet but imagine it will be Kay (although my parents call her Kaysie Custard, no idea why and it annoys the hell out of me), and Morgan gets called Morgie, its just as long so dont understand why, and iv corrected them so much that he now corrects them and wont reply if they call him it (I taught him that :rofl:)

ETA Bit hypocritical considering I wont answer to my name Natasha :rofl:

Close family shorten Phoebe's name to Phoebs but when we are out and about we use her full name.

People always call Claire "Clairebear", or "Claire de Lune". Clairebear is cute, but it gets kind of old when everyone thinks they are the first people to figure it out, LOL.

:dohh:

I get ppl calling maxim -max which dose not bother me , its when they call him maxi-poo that gets to me lol

I called Benn so it doesnt get shortened although spelling wise ppl always spell it Ben i dont mind though. Oh sometimes calls Ellie,El and i dont like it so i always tell him off lol. My aunt keeps calling Ellie Ella even though i put her right and ive wrote it in cards shes crackers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->