Should/ Do you tip a hairdresser?

Natasha2605

2 girlies <3
Reaction score
Just wondering really.

I have an appointment on Thursday morning with a new hairdresser. Seems like they charge £30 for the cut and blow dry.

Am I expected to tip? Do you?

I wouldn't usually tip as I feel that's enough but not too sure what other's do!

£2 normally but if they do a great job £5 (and I can spare it)

Unless it's just a trim, or it's the owner, I do. A couple of quid to a fiver usually.

I don't because I get mine done for nothing as my sister and Auntie are hairdressers and own a hair salon :lol: but if I was really, really impressed with my hair then yes I would.

Depends. My SIL is a hairdresser and does our hair sometimes and she does kids free oh a fiver and me colour and cut £20. But if we go hair dresser i tip £2 if i am happy with it

I used to tip £5 before my oh auntie started doing mine ans she wont accept any payment for it!

Yes but just because it's the "done" thing if you know what I mean.

She charges £45 for a cut and blow dry which I think its plenty anyways but I always give her £5 tip

Never occurred to me to tip, so no I don't! I can't say I've ever loved what a hairdresser has done though, and I pretty much just get the ends trimmed which takes ten minutes and costs £14!

I do if she's done a fantastic job and I have spare cash. I don't everytime.

No. I don't know if it's expected so much in the uk or if i've been offending hairdressers for years but I'm not a big tipper anyway, i've worked plenty of shitty customer service jobs which don't get tipped so i mostly just resent the general idea of it...

I'm in the US and I always tip 15-20% at the salon/spa.

Same. I think it's the norm here though.

+2 I wouldn't be comfortable not tipping my stylist. Even though the salon charges quite a bit for a cut and color, $160+, my stylist isn't really making the profit off of that, the owner is.

On a cut and color I would tip $20 and for just a trim I would tip $10.

However, it seems to be quite different here.:flower:

I do if she's done a fantastic job and I have spare cash. I don't everytime.

Same here. It is the "done" thing here, but if I pay with debit and there is no opportunity to enter a tip, and I don't have cash, what am I to do? :shrug:

I do, hair dressers earn min wages here, I just took Omar for a hair cut today, it was US $15 for the hair cut, I tipped the girl $ 6. The saloon I go to is not expensive so I tip 40-50% , but when I go for a massage or a pedi/mani in fancy places that charge loads, I tip 10-15% as the employees' salaries & benefits are higher than regular hair dressers.

No. I don't know if it's expected so much in the uk or if i've been offending hairdressers for years but I'm not a big tipper anyway, i've worked plenty of shitty customer service jobs which don't get tipped so i mostly just resent the general idea of it...

This^^ I don't tip either surely they get a wage like the rest of us? I work in a shop and go out of my way to help customers and don't get tipped, so why should hairdressers?:shrug:

No - if you are going to tip, tip the apprentice that washes your hair - they are seriously poor !
When I worked in the salon the stylists didnt care the apprentice got a wee tip.
I was on £50 a week as an apprentice trying to put a roof over my head. It's all legal too :( Most of them get training via Telford college or similar so thats how its justified. My wages never increased to more than £80

I don't tip my hairdresser.

No way it's too expensive as it is to go to the hairdressers. It's a luxury these days

This^^ I don't tip either surely they get a wage like the rest of us? I work in a shop and go out of my way to help customers and don't get tipped, so why should hairdressers?:shrug:

Yeah this is why I don't typically tip. I work in customer service and don't get tipped :shrug:.

Interesting to see all the different opinions.

Sandi, I didn't realise apprentices were paid so badly. That's awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->