Should/ Do you tip a hairdresser?

No I don't tip. They're being paid to do the job, and I'm paying for the service. I don't see any need for extra.

I'm in the US and I always tip 15-20% at the salon/spa.

Same. I think it's the norm here though.

+2 I wouldn't be comfortable not tipping my stylist. Even though the salon charges quite a bit for a cut and color, $160+, my stylist isn't really making the profit off of that, the owner is.

On a cut and color I would tip $20 and for just a trim I would tip $10.

However, it seems to be quite different here.:flower:

What if they do a shitty job?

I definitely wouldn't tip if it was bad but for anything other than that I would. But tipping is expected in a lot of situations in the US. It just seems like part of the price to me.

Yea i always tip hairdressers, wait staff, taxi drivers but it is a big part of our culture. If we go out to eat we already know that whatever we spend for the actual food there is a 15% (minimum) tip on top of that. But a lot of the people who get tips here honestly need it to survive. Wait staff gets paid 3.15$ an hour and yes they have to cover to minimum wage but that is 7.50.. It's just not livable.... But this is interesting seeing another counties POV :)

I don't tip my hairdresser. I will tip if I go out and have an awesome meal though! xx

I usually round it up to nearest fiver - I let her near my head with chemicals and scissors for goodness sake! ;) I'm not sure why I've got into the habit of tipping hairdresser actually.

I'm not generally one for tipping when home in UK - I only tip in restaurants if the service has been above and beyond. In UK legal employees are receiving minimum wage at least, and plenty of people work hard for same wage and don't get tips. It's up to the employer to pay a proper wage.

When abroad I'll follow the country's standard as different countries have different cultures and also varying wage structures. For example in South Africa all petrol stations have attendants at the pumps, while at home it's self service and costs me nothing in tips these attendants earn zero wage, they rely 100% on tips so I would always tip the going rate. If in USA I'd tip because it's the standard culture.

I don't think it's that common here to tip. I have a few friends who are hair dressers and as far as I'm aware they are never tipped. I only tip when I'm on holiday in some places abroad where the pay really is a pittance.

I always tip my hairdresser, I thought everybody did and I'm really surprised that so many don't! Usually £5 for cut and £10 if I have highlights as well.

I also tip in restaurants, around 10-20%, but won't do it if the service/food was bad.

Taxi drivers I usually round up to the nearest £5, or add a £1 or 2 on if it's just a short journey.

When we were on holiday once my OH was a bit drunk and tipped the equivalent of £80 for a meal. It came to £120 including a nice bottle of wine and he rounded it up to the nearest £100!!! I didn't find out until the next day.

No I don't tip. They're being paid to do the job, and I'm paying for the service. I don't see any need for extra.

Same! Feel abit mean after reading how many do though :blush:

I think I came off wrong there. I've never messed with any ones food...ever. I've never provided anything less than excellent customer service. I will be more attentive to someone who I've known to tip well as opposed to someone who doesn't. You can't please everyone. But I would never ignore anyone because of that and still provide good service despite that. As a matter of fact, I've been complimented on it by customers and my bosses. Personally, I tip based on service. Good or bad. The better the service the more the tip. My hairdresser gets tipped very well...the paper guy who is late with the paper, forgets the paper, or puts the newspaper half out of the box so it blows out and ends up shredded all over my lawn...gets nothing.

I guess it's more customary in the U.S. Why? I have no idea.

P.S. I've come across quite a few people who work in retail/customer service who would benefit from having to "sing for their supper" in a sense. Maybe if they had an incentive (in the form of extra compensation) they would give a damn about their job and remember what customer service is supposed to entail. I agree with whoever said if you don't like working with people anymore...get another job.

I never tip. I don't see why I should be tipping for excellent service when I should be getting that regardless.

I sometimes give £2/3 or so, depending on how skint I am at the time :rofl: It's the owner of the salon who does my hair, and she cuts Sophie's fringe for nothing so I usually give her £1 for that on top of whatever I am tipping for mine but I feel guilty the times I'm too skint to tip!

I do and I hate tipping them! Not just because I begrudge it since they're already getting paid for doing it (which I do), but because I'm soooo bloody awkward at tipping. I like to round up, but then they make it difficult by making the price an even number. So I feel like a twat saying "take an extra £2" but then I don't wanna give them a fiver if the cut only cost £30.
I tip at restaurants but usually I pay on card which makes tipping awkward again because I won't tip on card.
I tip taxi drivers (usually just round it up to the nearest pound, or nearest fiver if it's a big journey). But I won't if they're an arse and let me struggle with bags etc.
I won't tip takeaway drivers unless I'm paying cash. My mum always gives them money regardless but I don't. Only because I'd only tip them about a quid anyway, and it just seems strange handing a pound or so to an adult if it's not with other money, it seems dead patronising. Does that make sense :blush:

I do and I hate tipping them! Not just because I begrudge it since they're already getting paid for doing it (which I do), but because I'm soooo bloody awkward at tipping. I like to round up, but then they make it difficult by making the price an even number. So I feel like a twat saying "take an extra £2" but then I don't wanna give them a fiver if the cut only cost £30.
I tip at restaurants but usually I pay on card which makes tipping awkward again because I won't tip on card.
I tip taxi drivers (usually just round it up to the nearest pound, or nearest fiver if it's a big journey). But I won't if they're an arse and let me struggle with bags etc.
I won't tip takeaway drivers unless I'm paying cash. My mum always gives them money regardless but I don't. Only because I'd only tip them about a quid anyway, and it just seems strange handing a pound or so to an adult if it's not with other money, it seems dead patronising. Does that make sense :blush:

I'm the same. I HATE tipping. Not because of the money, I just don't know how to present the tip without feeling really awkward. but then I feel awkward if I don't tip - it's a viscous cycle.

Anyway, I resent tipping a little. I've worked plenty of minimum wage retail jobs where you never get tipped, and I don't think I work any less hard than a waitress or hairdresser :shrug: plus in the only waitressing job I've ever had, we weren't even allowed to keep our tips.

I've always tipped my hair dresser usually around $10 when she dyes my hair. I'd feel bad not tipping her as she spends about 2 hours to dye and cut my hair missing out on other clients and she's been doing my hair for years. Also the service is amazing and when I go with my 3 month old if they're not busy the other hairdressers take turns playing with her and she has a blast while I get to relax.

Never occurred to me to tip, so no I don't! I can't say I've ever loved what a hairdresser has done though, and I pretty much just get the ends trimmed which takes ten minutes and costs £14!

Me too! It's never occurred to me! I'm probably leaving and they are thinking what a tight wad I am ha ha!

I don't tend to tip, for 2 reasons. 1: nigh on every hairdresser I've been too stands there and expect me to give them a tip, I won't do it if it's expected from me. A tip is a nice bonus, not mandatory. And no 2: my friends a hairdresser and when she used to do my hair in the salon she worked at, you could hear the other stylists out the back talking about how much they were going to sting people for for tips, for example, - I need a tenner for a night out tonihht, I'm gonna give her a cup of tea and listen to all her shit, I'll get that tenner off her!!

I've tipped once that I remember, and that was my last haircut. I booked in and had no idea it was a training day so after 3 hours of this young girl cutting my hair an attentiveness I've never seen before, giving me advice on my hair type, products to use etc I went to pay and she told me that it was free as she was training! I couldn't have that, especially as she made me feel so special and amazing (first haircut in about 18 months, hair was not in a good place and neither was I lol) I gave her £20 and she cried on me bless her! I hope she goes far, lovely girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->