Should/ Do you tip a hairdresser?

Honestly a pound/two pound paid my tea. Was a big deal!

I always tip my hairdresser...usually 15-20%. She does a fantastic job.

I tip £2, normal hairdressers here are on minimum wage and my friend only got £3.50 ph

My hair costs £27 for a wash, cut, blowdry and straighten so I usually just pay £30. I get a lovely head massage and generally feel very pampered so I don't mind :)

No I'm not a big tipper because similarly I work in retail and deal with crappy customers and I don't get paid much more than min wage. I don't get tipped. I have often tipped the girls that have washed my hair in a salon though cos they've always been lovely. My cousins wife owns a hairdressers and she always says tip the apprentice/Saturday girl.

I DO tip at the hairdressers, restaurants, etc. As someone who has worked in the service industry...for less than minimum wage...it's greatly appreciated. Tips are how we make up the difference. Retail workers and other customer service jobs DO make minimum wage so there is NO need to tip them.

No I don't. I get student discount off too! Mine is £60 a time though so it's plenty without a tip x

I do usually around £2 xxx

I DO tip at the hairdressers, restaurants, etc. As someone who has worked in the service industry...for less than minimum wage...it's greatly appreciated. Tips are how we make up the difference. Retail workers and other customer service jobs DO make minimum wage so there is NO need to tip them.

AFAIK, it's usually just wait staff who get lower minimum wage here. If they do not receive enough verifiable tips (like on a CC) to make it up to minimum wage, their employer is required to make up the difference - so they go home with minimum wage at the end of the day regardless.

No I don't think I've ever tipped for anything, my grandma leaves a tip whenever we go out for a family meal, I don't think I know anyone else my age (23) that tips either. I'm not willing to spend more money when I've just spent like £50-£60 to have my hair done

No I don't it cost me £95 so I don't tip.

AFAIK, it's usually just wait staff who get lower minimum wage here. If they do not receive enough verifiable tips (like on a CC) to make it up to minimum wage, their employer is required to make up the difference - so they go home with minimum wage at the end of the day regardless.

And minimum wage isn't that much money. It helps to have a little extra. Anyone who has worked with in customer service knows you damn sure deserve it for putting up with the crap you have to put up with. I can say as a former waitress...if I gave you excellent service and you didn't leave a tip...don't expect me to bend over backwards for you the next time you walk in the door. I shudder to think what my hairdresser might do to my hair if I didn't tip her. Some people you just want to stay on the good side of... like the people who fix your hair...or have a hand in preparation of the food you eat. :haha:

And minimum wage isn't that much money. It helps to have a little extra. Anyone who has worked with in customer service knows you damn sure deserve it for putting up with the crap you have to put up with. I can say as a former waitress...if I gave you excellent service and you didn't leave a tip...don't expect me to bend over backwards for you the next time you walk in the door. I shudder to think what my hairdresser might do to my hair if I didn't tip her. Some people you just want to stay on the good side of... like the people who fix your hair...or have a hand in preparation of the food you eat. :haha:

Good point, but that being the case, shouldn't you tip ANYONE who serves you and makes minimum wage to be doing it? I don't see why wait staff or hairdressers deserve more money than cashiers or stock people. A stated price is a stated price.

If a waitress is low class enough to mess up my food because I don't pay them extra, or my hairdresser would mess up my hair if I didn't tip them, doesn't that turn it into a bribe? Where those who pay extra get good service and those who can only pay the stated price get mediocre service? I mean, that is what you are saying, right?

That being said, I do it occasionally, but I don't think I should HAVE to in order to get better than mediocre service, nor should I feel threatened that something might happen to my food or my hair because I didn't tip!

Also, because of the reduced wages for wait staff in my country, I always tip wait staff well. But not many other people, like I said before I occasionally tip hairdressers, but not all the time and I don't feel it is necessary where I do with wait staff because of the way our minimum wage system is set up.

I don't. I hate giving tips to anyone, they get paid. I don't get tips for my job. I'd rather give a couple of quid to charity than tip people I'm already paying anyway. Xx

Sorry, personally I hate this attitude from servers in restaurants and if I go out to eat and the service isn't good I don't tip. I won't just tip for the sake of it. If that is your attitude and you are willing to do something to somebody's food because they didn't tip you last time, you shouldn't be working in the food service industry. You shouldn't be working with people. Generally I do tip, but only if I feel it's deserved. I work in a supermarket and deal with some of the most horrid members of the public you can imagine but it's not customary for me to be tipped. I pack their shopping for them, run around finding items they've forgotten etc etc. It's nice to tip, as I appreciate how hard some servers work but if I suspected they were gonna do something to my food because I wasn't tipping them enough I'd be making a complaint and reporting the restaurant to environmental health :sick: Not a good attitude for any employee in any industry :nope:

No. I don't know if it's expected so much in the uk or if i've been offending hairdressers for years but I'm not a big tipper anyway, i've worked plenty of shitty customer service jobs which don't get tipped so i mostly just resent the general idea of it...

This^^ I don't tip either surely they get a wage like the rest of us? I work in a shop and go out of my way to help customers and don't get tipped, so why should hairdressers?:shrug:

Same. I dont get tipped in my job and i put up with so much shit. They get paid same as the rest of us

I eat in little frankies and as paying by debit card i had to opt out or just pay an automatic tip :saywhat: that pissed me off a touch

I don't tip. I just don't see it a reason to. They get paid anyways and I don't see why they need it? That may sound rude (I don't mean to be so blunt about it) but other jobs don't get tips so that's why I don't do it to hair dressers.

I am not a big tip giver in general but saying that I always feel the need to if I use taxi. I only do it when the driver goes out of there way to help me to my house with my shopping and LO pram etc. I don't see that as part of their job as a taxi - just they drive you one place to another in my opinion. x

I don't tip just never think to! My Mum always tips the person that washes her hair!

I don't tip. I personally don't like the idea of tipping people. I expect good service regardless, and if I get less than that, I am prepared to complain. I am paying for that service, after all.

I had to put up with a lot in my last job, and most of my jobs, to be fair (not so much in my lovely current sort of job), and I would never, ever have expected or accepted a tip. A nice thank you would be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->