Should I switch OB?

LadySekhmetDJ

Reaction score
Currently, I'm 5 weeks along, and I'm already considering of switching OB/GYN place.

I originally went to the first one on a recommendation of a friend, but the specific doctor that she recommended is not under my insurance (because she was fairly new there, so they're doing the paperworks...I am going to find out if she is under my insurance again), so I got a different doctor of the same practice. I like him, but I don't consider him as my "perfect" doctor.

The problem is, it takes me about 30-40 minutes to get there, then at least 1 hour wait (EVERY time I go, even for a simple exam), then 30-40 minutes home. That's just a bit of a chunk of my day just to go to a OB/Gyn office. It's just getting a bit tedious and annoying really. I do not understand why doctors' office have to overbook patients, even 5 at a time, and it'll just push other patients.

Anyways, I found another doctor that was listed in the Top Doctors magazine in town, that is literally a 10 minutes WALK from my house. Now, I understand that MOST doctors office you have to wait an hour or so. I probably wouldn't MIND as much because I am 2 minutes drive/10 minutes walk from home.

my DH isn't too crazy about me switching, and is kind of "Why didn't you think of that before? Right in the middle of this? Ride it out."

The way I figure is, it will be between 10-12 visits total throughout the whole pregnancy. That's a lot of waiting time and driving time. I don't know about if I am allowed to choose which hospital to use. I think I rather be at a Birthing center vs. Hospital setting (however, I've heard there isn't any in my area...so doing research on that). We'll see.

What says you? Am I being too picky? :shrug:

Tou won't get to pick any hospital. Your ob will be affiliated with a specific hospital they are allowed to practice at. I switched to a midwife based practiced at 27wks because of the poor care I received t my obgyn. They were supposed to be the top office and hospital but they put our health in danger. They even had my blood type wrong (discovered this at the Er).

What I'm saying I guess is just because its ranked well doesn't mean it's a good fit for you but there is nothing wrong with switching if you feel you're not getting proper care. Just be sure you do your research first.

I would switch if ur not pleased. U will be dealing a lot with the doc, so you want someone and somewhere that will make it as comfortable for you as possible. My first OB for my angel baby was a horrible, heartless woman, but I switched to another doc in the same practice and had the best experience growing a baby user his care. Switching was the best decision I made.

Make sure its the right choice for you, and I agree to do your research. If both clear out, I would switch. You want to be comfortable.. Go with what you think is right

If you can find one that is a better fit for you than go for it, for me I dont have a choice as my husband is military so I have to go to a hospital 45 min away even though I have several closer. Im not guaranteed the same dr every visit either as it is a team of dr's and midwives. Yesterday I saw the midwife and I see a dr on the 8th.

you have to look at what you will be most comfortable with, I for one am already dreading the drive when im in active labor. So if it works out go for a closer one

At 5 weeks have you even had an appointment with your obgyn yet? I would say go ahead and switch. I can't imagine driving all that distance when you have a top rated office right there. If after switching you don't like them you could always switch back.

At the end of the day - It's YOU that has to go to all the appts, not DH, so I'd pick the closer one for sure! It's such a pain when drs are running behind, I don't think I've ever got into one on time!

You need to do what is right for you. At 20 weeks I was disappointed in the care I was receiving but said to my husband we are half way there, next time we will use another doctor. Well, we should have switched. Our son passed due to the doctor and inadequate care at the hospital...due what you feel is right, only you know what is best! :)

It's still early so I think it's worth the switch if it's something you want to do. The longer you wait, the more annoying it is to move files. Trust me, I had to move across the country when I was 7 months pregnant with DS. It was such a hassle! But if I could do it then, you can do it now.

Saying that though, if you find your current doctor is a better fit than the one closer to you, it may be worth to stay in spite of the drive. Right now I don't have a choice as the closest OB to me is a hour and half away as is the hospital. The drive to hospital while in labour wasn't fun but it was doable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->