Should your government have say over what you do in another country?

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
I came across this article, not sure of the validity of it (as I am not American) but thought it was interesting.

According to this new Bill, it would make it a Federal Crime to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil, that if were in the US, would violate the Controlled Substance Act... even if the planned activities are legal in said country. So say (for example) you go to Amsterdam and partake in their "smoke shops". Because weed is illegal here and most other places if it were found out you did that you could be charged when you got home.

First of all, I don't do any sort of drug but its not my business of who does what they do on their own time.

That being said, even though I don't do drugs I fail to see how if you do something that is legal in Amsterdam that its a federal crime when you get home. How would it even be carried out? Would they do drug testing on flights back from countries where drugs are legal? :shrug:

There's a small part of me too that thinks this is a bit too far. Personally with all the money they would be dumping into this new program I think it'd be better used to try and control/stop the drug trafficking issues on home soil.

Curious to see what other people's thoughts are. :flower:

That's insane. You obey the laws of the country you're in, not the one you just left.

You can surely only get done for weed if it's on you, sounds thoroughly stupid to me.

So which laws are you obeying the ones of your country of the one you are in? What if they directly contradict eachother?

Its fundamentally flawed.

Thats bananas. It completely overrides the principle of sovereignty. Its like your country of origin saying..we don't care what laws you have over there..our laws are paramount.

No offence, but IMO it is a typical american govt. way of thinking. They want to extend their superiority to everyone and everything. So if it is legal in my country to do something that is illegal in the US, if I go over to the US, then in line with this policy, I should be allowed to break US laws. :wacko:

And........... tbh American cant even agree on the same laws in its own country. Each different state has thier own laws anyway!

I was curious about how that would work. I mean, aren't brothels legal in Nevada? It seems like a massive contradiction to me as well. So you can get charged if you go to Amsterdam and smoke weed... but there's nothing wrong with soliciting a prostitute if you don't live in the State of Nevada? :confused:

I'm not trying to slam the American people or anything, I just don't get how this would work.

How would they know, anyways? The main thing is if you plan to go there and do something. How would they know about the plans? Unless you test positive for illegal substances and that gives them free access to all your emails, social media accounts, etc?

:shrug:

What about say Abu Dhabi!

I want to go out in a short skirt and a bra and snog the face of my lesbian girlfriend, whilst drinking in public on the streets. Perfectly legal here. In fact if you've ever heard of a Night out in Newcastle practically a requirement!

It makes NO sense

hey, im american and it makes no sense to me :haha: seems bizarre but according to the article "The law is a reaction to a 2007 case in which the 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals threw out the convictions of two men who planned the transfer of cocaine from a Colombian drug cartel to a Saudi prince for distribution in Europe. Though the men planned the transaction from Miami, the court found that because the cocaine never reached the U.S. and was never intended to reach the U.S., the men hadn't committed any crime against the United States. "

So the law is against PLANNING the activities while on US soil. So if someone wants to do a travel agency that promotes pot tours of Amsterdam, that would be illegal. And in a strange way it makes sense because you are promoting and making money off of a drug activity, iykwim. Replace marijuana smoking with underage sex tours and you can see how it might be reprehensible.

It doesn't sound like its something they will seek out, but in cases where its extreme activity that comes to light, it gives them something to charge them with. Sort of like jaywalking, lol.
BUT even the article says it goes too far and should only prosecute things that are illegale in those countries too.

Pretty sure weed will be legalized in the States VERY VERY soon.

We tried to legalize it in California in the last major election and it didn't pass.

With this whole Occupy movement having more people in favor of it, than the 2 major parties, they may legalize it to end the protests.

the only exception is child trafficking and kidnapping .I doubt it is legal anywhere but if they caught a person traveling for that reasons I guess they can jail a person for doing that.

I was curious about how that would work. I mean, aren't brothels legal in Nevada? It seems like a massive contradiction to me as well. So you can get charged if you go to Amsterdam and smoke weed... but there's nothing wrong with soliciting a prostitute if you don't live in the State of Nevada? :confused:

I'm not trying to slam the American people or anything, I just don't get how this would work.

How would they know, anyways? The main thing is if you plan to go there and do something. How would they know about the plans? Unless you test positive for illegal substances and that gives them free access to all your emails, social media accounts, etc?

:shrug:
i
its no big deal unless it become a problem then they go to federal. [Moderator Edited] I don't think anyone should be in trouble for what they do in another state.

[Edited]

On the other part, I agree. So to me its even more ridiculous to be held accountable for your actions in another country, provided you are not breaking any local laws.

As per BnB TOS we can't talk about that topic in any capacity, so I'm going to edit it out of your post.

Feel free to keep going on with the conversation (barring that). :flower:

I think the bill will be voted down. people make crazy bills all the time.

Crazy is a relative perspective.

To me, its crazy that people would outlaw Gay marriage but many States do. :shrug: But that's another debate for another time.

I'm sure it'll be squashed as well at least I hope it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->