*show off your home made things!*

Headband:
https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1298/32757196203134456125011.jpg

and a Tutu:
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1663/32430596215539596125011.jpg

:flower:

Can I ask for some advice on the tutu? I bought loads of Tulle, but am having a hard time.... I can't seem to cut it straight, and I don't know how big/long to cut them

Baby booties - took about an hour to make :)

Attachments

• baby-booti.jpg
    baby-booti.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
Headband:
https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1298/32757196203134456125011.jpg

and a Tutu:
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1663/32430596215539596125011.jpg

:flower:

Can I ask for some advice on the tutu? I bought loads of Tulle, but am having a hard time.... I can't seem to cut it straight, and I don't know how big/long to cut them

I couldn't really cut straight either, so I didn't worry about it. Honestly, unless you look super close, you can't tell. I was going for a bit of a punk rock glam look anyway, so uneven strips works with it. However, if you really want the strips to be straight, maybe you could ask a fabric store to cut them for you. Or, if you have a rotary, you can use that. There's also this article that gives advice for cutting tulle without a rotary: https://www.ehow.com/how_5564953_cut-tulle-rotary.html

I wanted the tutu to be shorter, so my daughter can wear it around 3-6 months or so. I made the strips about 12" long, so they are 6" when folded and tied on the elastic. Good luck. :flower:

just finished making our little boy a wall name decoration for above his cot so thought i would share. we have done the nursery farmyard themed x

i make these to order as well if i can dig out any photos of others i have made i will add them

Attachments

• HARRY name.jpg
    HARRY name.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4
Lovely projects. I'm inspired to get started on my knitting projects.

Here are the letters we made for our little girls room :)

Attachments

• letters.jpg
    letters.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 8
Baby booties - took about an hour to make :)

Oh gosh how cute! Makes me wish I could knit! (I actually learnt it in school but I was really awful at it lol)

Iv just purchased a birth sampler to start stitching, its a Tatty ted one from here: https://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/A-New-Baby-Birth-Sampler__ANC-TT100.aspx

Cant wait till it comes :)

I handsewed a stuffed animal elephant on a whim the other day.

Welcome Peanut the Pachyderm! :blush::haha::thumbup::winkwink::flower::happydance:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.298360723522416.78422.100000454713606&type=1&l=beb68c92a5
set

Just made my daughter this rag tutu. Found the idea online and had to recreate it. BTW this is SO easy. The hardest part is sewing the two ends of the elastic together to make a loop. If you can manage that, you can make this tutu.

I've posted things in the past, and people have PM'd me asking how I made them. Unfortunately I have very little time to reply, so figured while I have the time, I'd explain it here and then you all know :thumbup:

How to:

Measure your child's waistline and cut elastic to the size. The elastic I used was about 1cm in width. Sew the ends together to make a loop.

Cut loads of 12x12 inch squares of fabric (this is the length that was ideal for my daughter (22m), so perhaps you will need longer). I used polyester, but you can also use cotton etc. I basically wanted the most lightweight material I could find because adding so much material to a skirt makes it heavy, and you want to keep the weight down, especially if it's for a child

Basically, I wanted to use triangular cuts of fabric, as it's thin at the top where you need to knot it to the waistband, wide in the middle to add body to the skirt, and thin at the bottom to look "raggy". I made these by cutting squares, and then cutting them diagonally to make two separate triangles.

I basically measured my daughter's leg, found the length I wanted for the skirt, which was 11 inches (she's 22 months old, but wanted it long enough to last her a few years), then added 4 inches for the knot, totalling 15 inches. Since I wanted the long edge of the triangle to go down the leg, that part would have to be 15 inches long. To have a cut triangle that size, the squares they came from would have to be approx 12x12. The squares don't have to be cut perfectly at all; mine were all over the place and I cut badly, but when they're in the skirt you can't tell because it's all folded up anyway.

Cut the squares diagonally through the middle to make triangles. It's better to use pinking shears if you have them as this will reduce the fraying. The fabric will fray anyway, but that's the whole point of the rag tutu. This just limits the fraying, and means you don't need to sit there and hem every triangle.

I used whatever fabrics I had left, and then bought a few more from the shop. But you could use all the same pattern, or coordinating colours; whatever you want really. I ended up with about 40 triangles I guess, though you just need to have enough to make the skirt look full once it's done.

Simply knot each triangle, tightly, onto the waistband until the entire waistband is covered. Voila!

They also say not to wash the skirt in the washing machine as it will fray more. There's no way I'm not washing it, so I think I'm going to try putting it in one of those mesh laundry bags (you can find them in the supermarket) and then sticking it in the machine. That tends to help with other things, so we'll see

Attachments

• DSCF3767 copy.jpg
    DSCF3767 copy.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 10
Super cute, Lara! I love the fabrics you used also, it's not so 'princess-y' as most girl clothes are :) Thanks for the tutorial!

I just finished this dress this week. It didn't turn out exactly how I saw it in my head, but it's passable. It keeps her nice and warm at least! (I also with it wasn't so bunched up in the middle, when I took this pic. Oh well.)

Attachments

• DSC04473.jpg
    DSC04473.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC04472.jpg
    DSC04472.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 11
Wow some of the things in this thread are amazing, Hubby and I made a lot of homemade things for our wedding and we'll definately be making some of baby's nursery things when I do get pregnant :thumbup:

Stalking this thread to give me ideas :haha:

Loving this thread, I'm currently knitting a patch blanket for the Moses basket!! It's no where near finished and will be no where near perfect but I thought doing something like that will just help me improve my knitting, lol! I would love to do a patchwork quilt?! Really trying to do one project at a time but so many things I want to start now!! I hope we can get this thread moving again!! I will post pics when is have something that resembles a blanket rather than lots of little squares!!!

i've finally gotten around to making some blankets. the first is 'very hungry caterpillar' the second is covered in dinosaurs and monsters. the second one isn't quite finished, i need some wadding but being a public holiday the shops are closed.
they're not perfect, but i'm pretty happy with them!

Attachments

• blankets 001.jpg
    blankets 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8
  • blankets 003.jpg
    blankets 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3
Wow!!! I love the very hungry caterpillar one!! It looks amazing! I am such a beginner, I hoping that over the next 3 months I can master a few things!! Quilting and knitting!! I'm doing the basics in each at the mo!! I'm also starting a scrapbook for my little girl!! Obviously we only have scan pics at the moment but I have lots of them and though I can continue it for her as she grows up?! I have lots is supplies but I'm actually scared to start it now!!!!

Super cute, Lara! I love the fabrics you used also, it's not so 'princess-y' as most girl clothes are :) Thanks for the tutorial!

I just finished this dress this week. It didn't turn out exactly how I saw it in my head, but it's passable. It keeps her nice and warm at least! (I also with it wasn't so bunched up in the middle, when I took this pic. Oh well.)
LOL we're not really ones for dressing our girls in girly stuff :D

That dress is so cute! I wish I could make stuff like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->