Sickness and Maternity Leave

Becci_Boo86

Reaction score
Hi ladies :) just popping over from 2nd tri be here next week anyway :)

well i have been suffering really bad with SPD. i work for Sainsburys and i have been signed off on the sick. i get max 6 weeks sick pay. i have booked to start maternity leave on the 23rd June when i would be 32/33 weeks.

But with my back being so bad. i'm thinking of being on the sick till my sick pay runs out then starting maternity leave. But i'm worried that it will affect my maternity pay will this happen?

thanks Becci x

i believe if you are sick in certain point of ur pregnancy...(i think around week 26-30) they can make you take maternty leave early.

also ur mat leave is worked out on a qualifying period which i believe are the 8weeks prior to week 25...so if u were off sick in this point it may affect it...

i would check the direct gov website...that shud give u more info.

A company can only make you go on mat leave from 36 weeks of pregnancy, as you are planning on going on mat leave anyway, that shouldnt be an issue, you will receive sick pay up until you go on mat leave, and as soon as you go on mat leave you will get mat pay xx

They can't make you start maternity leave until 36 weeks.

I think.the.qualifying weeke for maternity leave are before 25 weeke so it shouldn't be effected now

apologies the other were right it was 36weeks...i had 26 weeks in head by mistake

And you can go on mat leave from 29 weeks xxx

If you are getting company maternity pay you may want to have a look at the company policy on sickness and maternity cause I think all companies are different.
If its statutory then as long as you have worked the qualifying period then it shouldnt effect it.
I have been signed off for the last few weeks due to the same thing and my work told me that maternity leave will automatically kick in for me at 36 weeks.
Also just to let you know that they cannot disapline you over maternity related illness as this would be classed as discrimination.

They can make you go on maternity leave if you are off work sick for a pregnancy related issue. If you are off sick at any time in the 4 weeks in the lead up to your expected week of child birth (so the 36 weeks the others have mentioned), then your employer can make you start your mat leave.

Like someone mentioned, search on Directgov for any info.

What would you say is the qualifying period? I will prob start my maternity leave at 30weeks anyway. Xx

For company maternity pay it varies depending on the company but for statutory maternity pay you need to have completed 26 weeks service by the 15th week before estimated delivery date.

I called my hr number they said I can start at 29 weeks but they said if I'm off sick 4 weeks before maternity starts they start the maternity pay then. But I thought they can't start it till 11 weeks before baby due. Am I right? x

It depends on if you are getting company or statutory maternity I think and what their policy is.
Are you getting company maternity ????
Have you given them notice of when you want your maternity to start??
For instance I am getting statutory maternity pay. I have been signed off with back pain for the last few weeks and my maternity was due to start 2 weeks before my due date but because I will still be off sick my maternity will automatically start 4 weeks before my due date at 36 weeks.

Well they have there own maternity pay so i get 90% for 6 weeks then 8 weeks at 90% of basic pay then 25 weeks smp. they going to sort out a plan for me tomoz when i take my sicknote in xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->