Silly... really young

futuremommy91

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

My name is Katie, and I'm from Washington State. This may sound really silly but I'm only 18. I don't have a boyfriend and am a freshman in college (I'm hoping to be a pediatrician someday). But for some reason I am obsessed with having children. I know that it will be a long time before I am personally ready to have children, but I can't help but want a baby.

I love kids and have had several jobs in the field of childcare. I love playing with my little cousins and babysit often (at least until I went away to school). But it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a really strong maternal instinct, and people always say that I'm amazing around kids. I think it's because I genuinly love all of them. I dunno- I just feel that having and taking care of children will be my main purpose in life. Anyone else ever get that feeling.

How do you deal with the waiting? I have a bad feeling that it will get worse as time goes on, lol. I'm just hoping I stay sensible enough to not get pregnant, at least not until I graduate. But even then I'd only be 22! I need to get a grip haha. It's completely silly for me to want to become a mommy right now- I am broke, beginning school, haven't had many relationships, and am just in general inexperienced.

And yet...

Katie

Sorry the post is so long!

Hi and welcome - I think we all know how you feel, I've certainly been there myself. Us ladies can't help it we are programmed that way.
At least you realise now may not be the best time - just know that you time will come to be a mommy and try not to get too bogged down in the wanting. Try and enjoy your life and what you have in the mean time.
But you are not alone - and any time you want to come on here and have a rant about things, please do - that's what we are here for :flower:

Hello!! Welcome to BnB!! Where in Washington state are you? I moved here(to Columbus) from Washington.

:hugs: i know its hard to wait but enjoy your education and your time before you settle down. We are all here for you if you want to come and rant.

xx

Thanks- I've had baby fever since 9th grade! Thanks for the advice- it's a really easy thing to obsess over. As I'm sure you are all aware of :)

It is really difficult. My cousin became pregnant with her first at 19. She had Maria (who is now 4 and GORGEOUS) and then married her OH. They moved into a tiny little place. Her parents were really supportive, and everything worked out really well. She then had little James a couple years later. Alyssa came along May of this year. She graduated from college on time, has a great relationship with her OH, moved into a really nice house, and is very happy. She's only 24.

It's hard for me to think of her and still be firm in my decision to wait a while before having kids. I guess people become ready (or as ready as you can be) for children at different ages- and I know I want to be a pediatrician someday. That might be a little difficult if I have a baby now. :)

Thank you for the support!

Hello!! Welcome to BnB!! Where in Washington state are you? I moved here(to Columbus) from Washington.

Nice to meet you! I live in Seattle, but am currently attending school in Portland.

Ahh, I loove Seattle! So much. I would be living there if I could persuade OH to move away from his Mommy(Ha not gonna happen)

Ahh, I loove Seattle! So much. I would be living there if I could persuade OH to move away from his Mommy(Ha not gonna happen)

I love it too- it was smart to go to a school in Portland. I get homesick easily, and it's nice to live somewhere like home. Apparently it's known as the "better Seattle" :lol:

Where in Washington are you from?

Hey, I'm only 18 too :thumbup:
I also feel silly for wanting a baby so young haha! :blush:
Can't help it though eh! :haha:

When I was 18 I was planning my wedding - for when I was 19 and the first year of marriage was surrounded by anxiousness to have a baby! I've wanted a baby since I was 15 or 16 years old! A year and a couple of months after DH and I got married we conceived our first child so no, you're not too young to be thinking about these things. I know how you feel.

Just hang out here with us. Please stay sensible and finish your education, take it from someone who decided to get married and have kids over going to college to further my education. I wouldn't change the course of events but I'm starting nursing school in January and I already know it's going to be extremely hard with 2 so young. You have PLENTY of time!

Don't worry about being young- I'm 15 and everyone here hasn't treated me like I'm stupid! When you know you want a baby, you just know and age doesn't really come into it.

Waiting feels hard when you have your whole life ahead of you, you don't want to wish your life away but at the same time, you can't wait to have babies! It helps me to write a list of everything I want to achieve before babies get here, and everyone that I won't be able to do once I'm a mum. It doesn't change how I feel but it makes me grateful for what I have!

As for being a paediatrician, thats really cool :thumbup: I was planning on being one for a while, I even did work experience in a hospital to prepare etc, but I realised I wouldn't be able to cope with small children dying, it would upset me too much. Since then I have realised my perfect job is a reception teacher (in the UK thats 4-5 year olds) and so I still get to get my child fix without the upset. But I really admire you for going down that field- I was too much of a wimp! I hope you manage to achieve it :)

I can't be much help to curing broodiness- it's natures way of telling us we are ready to be mummies, and we were evolved to want as many kids as possible to keep the race going, so nothing will make it go away, but if you ever want to talk feel free to contact me, I have msn etc :)

xx

Welcome! The waiting is even harder when you've got an OH who isn't ready yet! My DH is almost 4 years younger than me so I had to wait for him to catch up with me, but we got there in the end.

Hello and welcome :)
I don't think you're silly at all: I'm 16 and in a very similar position to you - I actually could have written big chunks of your post myself! I also want to be a paediatrician, although I might become a midwife or educational psychologist instead...
Feel free to message me! Take care xx

Thank you all so much for replying- it's nice to know that I'm not the only young person out there that wants to have kids NOW haha. Whenever I talk about this to my friends they look at me like I'm crazy- they won't consider having children until after they are at least 30.

It is helpful knowing that I am clearly not ready- for one thing, I really want to be in a committed relationship. The divorce statistics out there scare me, and as I've had little to no experience with men, I don't know IF I'll ever find my OH :dohh: My parents are best friends after 21 years- I want to have a relationship like that someday. Hopefully...

Do any of you find this whole thing gets harder if you spend a lot of time around children (like in a job), or easier?

Again, thank you all so much for being so supportive. I really appreciate it, and feel WAY less alone about the whole thing.

Katie

I love it too- it was smart to go to a school in Portland. I get homesick easily, and it's nice to live somewhere like home. Apparently it's known as the "better Seattle" :lol:

Where in Washington are you from?

Spokane, not quite as large or exciting as Seattle

Thank you all so much for replying- it's nice to know that I'm not the only young person out there that wants to have kids NOW haha. Whenever I talk about this to my friends they look at me like I'm crazy- they won't consider having children until after they are at least 30.

It is helpful knowing that I am clearly not ready- for one thing, I really want to be in a committed relationship. The divorce statistics out there scare me, and as I've had little to no experience with men, I don't know IF I'll ever find my OH :dohh: My parents are best friends after 21 years- I want to have a relationship like that someday. Hopefully...

Do any of you find this whole thing gets harder if you spend a lot of time around children (like in a job), or easier?

Again, thank you all so much for being so supportive. I really appreciate it, and feel WAY less alone about the whole thing.

Katie

It gets harder the more time you spend with them and away from them. I think while your at colage you need to fill your lofe with lots of things that you cant do when you have kids, party, travel and just have lots of fun.

hey katie,

im in the same kind of position, i think u read my post, anyway i feel exactly the same as you, but unfortunatley the only cure from broodiness is having a baby haha, sucks eh? if only there were tablets haha
anyway if u wana msg me feel free :)
its always good to have someone to talk to.
x

hey katie,

im in the same kind of position, i think u read my post, anyway i feel exactly the same as you, but unfortunatley the only cure from broodiness is having a baby haha, sucks eh? if only there were tablets haha
anyway if u wana msg me feel free :)
its always good to have someone to talk to.
x

I can't really speak from job experience, but spending time with my OHs little sister who's 1, or my cousin who's 5, makes it a lot harder! But we've just gotta persist and move on :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->