sippy cup for the breastfed baby?

optimistic1

Mommy, Daddy, and Nadia!!
Reaction score
I want to get LO used to a cup so I can possibly start classes when she's 9-10 months. She doesn't take a bottle I stopped giving her one at 6 weeks and since she's 5 months I figured there is no sense trying to work with her on bottles now and want to know which kind of cup I should get. I read that straw sippy cups are good for bf babies? But then I read spout cups are good....which kind do you use? I know all babies are different and what works for you might not work for me. I plan to buy a few different types and see which works best but idk which types to go for....there is so many to choose from!

I found that Isaac struggled with straw cups until about 9/10 months but was great with a free flow sippy cup. We used the tommee tippee first sippy cup and he took to it great. Still cant do spouts without the free flow though because he just expects it to pour out and has a paddy when it didnt.

Hey,

We used these

https://direct.asda.com/Nuby-Super-Spout-Beaker/002674044,default,pd.html

My lo was a bottle refuser from 7 weeks and took to these really well, now she'll drink from anything!

X

We tried the freeflow one, the doidy and the nuk learner.

The one we prefer is the nuk learner, we've bought 3 (she keeps on chucking them out of the pram). The doidy is OK but she drinks with her mouth open and it runs out.

Our lactation consultant who is also a speech pathologist recommends straw cups. She says the sippy cups promote an immature sucking pattern that you want to progress from. We started with the OXO Tot 7 ounce straw cup with just breastmilk in it with my LO at only 4 months, and she picked it right up. At 6 months we started giving her water in it, and she loves it. The cup is available on Amazon, and lots of other moms in our breastfeeding group have ordered them after seeing ours. My LO was an epic bottle refuser, too.

We started with a nuk soft spout sippy and my little guy loved it for about a month. We had to move on to straw sippies and have never looked back! I would recommend going straight for the straw cups and look for ones you squeeze to help them learn to suck it up the straw.

We started with a nuk soft spout sippy and my little guy loved it for about a month. We had to move on to straw sippies and have never looked back! I would recommend going straight for the straw cups and look for ones you squeeze to help them learn to suck it up the straw.

Do you have a pic or brand or anything of these cups? My baby is a bottle refuser as well, and STILL does not understand sippy cups. Haven't tried straw cups though and would love to give this a shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->