Sleep left side or right side?

AmandaBanana

Reaction score
So we all know how they say you should sleep on your left side. You will be keeping weight off nerves and blood vessels and other things for both the health of you and your baby.
But what if I'm more comfy on my right?
Is it really that bad for baby or me?

How do you ladies sleep and feel about this?

I have heard that whatever way you are most comfortable and the position you sleep best in is the way to go, because sleep is so important for both you and baby.

I find I roll from side to side in my sleep depending on the night, if you can make a habit of sleeping on your left its a good idea but getting sleep in general is more important.

I end up switching sides throughout the night. I'm not a side sleeper, in fact I hate it, usually I'm a stomach sleeper but that's obviously out right now. So I end up getting a horrible crick in my neck on one side and have to switch to the other, on repeat all night. I know it's supposed to be left side but I can't manage that all the time because I'd be in awful pain.

I switch sides regularly during the night so I probably sleep 50% both side overall!

I prefer to sleep on my back but I'm reading I shouldn't be doing that now. I also like sleeping on my belly and can still do it comfortably but I really got to try sleeping on my sides lol

With DD I could not sleep on my left side it was so uncomfortable. And even when I was in labor and they have me labor down on both sides, DD made no progress when I laid on my left side and so much progress when I laid on my right side. I would say to lay on whatever side is more comfortable for you.

I try to sleep mostly on my left, but i usually switch to my right during the night.

I sleep however I'm comfortable! Including on my stomach. I have a small bump.

For now I'm still (just about) on my tummy! Saying that I'm so much more comfortable on my right side. Not only that but when I listen to baby's heartbeat on my Doppler I ALWAYS find it on the left side so that makes me a bit nervous of being on my left :wacko:

I have been wondering this as well! With my first son I had no trouble sleeping on my left, but this time it's just not comfortable! I switch back and forth and really nothing is comfortable but the right still feels better..Also half of the time laying on my left my thumb, pointer, and middle fingers go numb..something I developed in my last pregnancy much later on..same thing happens if I lay on my back.

So we all know how they say you should sleep on your left side. You will be keeping weight off nerves and blood vessels and other things for both the health of you and your baby.
But what if I'm more comfy on my right?
Is it really that bad for baby or me?

How do you ladies sleep and feel about this?

I've been told as long as you are not flat on your back you are good:thumbup:

I sleep on whatever side I'm more comfortable on. Although, I do try to call asleep on my left side if I can. I have a lot of back issues and can't stay in one position for long. Being on your left side also keeps you from putting pressure on your internal organs, most of which are on the right side and helps with heart burn. On the right side it allows for bile to more easily creep up the esophagus. Just do what feels most comfy for you while trying not to be on your back (can cut off oxygen to the placenta).

I flip back and forth all night long. It's exhausting !

I agree. Sleep however makes you comfy. I sleep with two pillows propping up my bump, on my tummy. I have throughout all of my pregnancies. I try to sleep on my side, but then, I wake up with a terrible backache that just doesn't go away, so I stay on my "tummy". As long as you're not flat on your back, it's not a problem (and I sometimes wake up that way and have throughout all of my pregnancies, but I just turn to my side when I wake in the night).

I sleep on both but definitely feel more comfortable on my right side. I also keep waking up lying on my back :-(

I go to sleep on my left and switch sides throughout the night...I wake up on my back a lot :dohh:

Despite hearing that left is best, i simply cannot sleep in that one position ALL night, its just not possible. Im normally a stomach sleeper but since hitting the second trimester i stick to switching between left and right sudes, even though it just kills my hips. I wake up numerous times an hour needing to roll to my other sipde because of the intense hip pain. I do my best not to let myself roll onto my back in my sleep, it happened once, but now i have a body pillow to help keep me from doing that. I have been sleeping on left AND right sides, alternating, for a month now and it hasnt affected baby. I think that i wake up so often to turn over helps, too :)

I TRY to stay on my left, but I have extreme back problems so I lose sensation, cramp, or just wind up in pain so I lip and flop and roll all night. Sometimes the only way I get comfy is on my back with a pillow or stuffed animal under my knees

I actually try to sleep on my right -- pregnancy sometimes irritates my gallbladder (I had gallstones throughout the last pregnancy), and sleeping on the right reduces the likelihood that your gallbladder will act up (if that is a known issue for you).

In the end, though, sleep how you're comfortable! Women have been having babies for a LONG time, and only recently has there been a doctor telling them which side to sleep on :)

Doc say sleep on either side as long as u r comfortable but sleepin on the left will be better. i try to sleep on my left side as much as possible although i am feelin alot of pain on my left side.. but i change sides thru out the nite.. i think gettin some sleep is more important also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->