Sleep Sense Support Group!

Yeah sure thank you x
We take him upstairs for a bath at 7pm & he's in there for about 10-15 minutes then out the bath & straight in to his bedroom where I get him dressed we then have a couple of stories (the same everynight) then its into bed & his lightshow on by 7.30pm x He wont have milk before he goes to bed now, dont know why so I normally give him some around 6ish x
He's put into bed awake & His lightshow is on for 5 minutes & he's always fast asleep by the time its done x
He wakes up a couple of times in the night & I'll leave him for a couple of minutes then go in to him & give him his dummy & most of the time he'll go striaght back to sleep but there are the odd times where he'll be awake crying for upto 2 hours & I know we shouldnt be when he's been crying for that long the only way to get him to sleep is by lying him on his in his chair in his room (used to get him in bed with us which we stopped) & then after 10 minutes & when he's asleep we pop him back in to his cot & he'll sleep till morning x

I know the bit I'm doing wrong is laying him on me but its the only way either of will get any sleep & DH & I both work. I dont know what else to do other than leave him to cry for 2+ hours which i cant do. He's only normally like that though when he's poorly or teething so not a regular occurence.

That's what I was wondering.

It may be that getting rid of the dummy as a "sleep prop" will improve things immensely. If he knows he can get back to sleep all by himself then he might still wake, but without the tears. Does the lightshow come on when he makes a noise?

The other thing to look at is if he is getting enough daytime sleep. If Abby missed naps, she generally woke more often in the night. She was able to get herself back off to sleep but did seem to have trouble with it. Bless her though, she rarely cried out to us at those times. Try working on making sure the naps are regular and lengthy.

How do you try and settle him when he is crying for a long time on those nights?

^ wss we found also if Alex didnt nap very well he was more unsettled at night.
I think studying and learning the tired signs are very important, especially as they get older they are harder to find! but it was hte best thing i did to study Alex and find out what his were.

Hey there ladies! I know Im not part of this group but Im looking for a bit of advice and am thinking of looking into this Sleepsense programme...

Is there a book out there that you can buy that tells you how it works?

Brandon used to be a really really good sleeper but he wasnt well a few weeks ago and I stupidly took him into bed with us and since then its just been absolute chaos!

I need to sit with him and sing to him while he drifts off and he is up most of the night crying and wont calm down until one of his in with him! He is badly teething but i dont know if that would make him so insecure! He used to be great...we would just put him into bed and he was fall asleep all by himself, sometimes he would lie for 20 minutes or so just 'chatting' away to his teddies! But now we cant walk away from his cot without him getting all panicky!

We tried CC and CIO but it just didnt work! He only got himself into an awful awful state and would scream for hours...and it just made him super super clingy during the day!

So Im really hoping you's have some advice for me or can at least point me in the direction of a book that can help!

Thank you so much,from a very very tired steph :D xxxx

Sleepsense has their own book you can read, its an e-book so you can get it and read right away :D

not sure, i didnt pay :blush:

Heres the websote https://www.sleepsense.net/assessment?gclid=CJvagKSH3aUCFYIe4Qod13_80A

Thank you :D I'll have a look just now!! Have u found it to be really helpful? xxx

hhhmmmm I'm guessing it could be the dummy but I'm scared to take it away because I know he will scream blue murder & I dont think I can go through that again, its so bloody hard this parenting thing lol x
His naps can be anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour & a half & on the odd occasion 2 hours.
He normally has 2 naps a day a morning & afternoon nap. If he wakes after 30 minutes nothing I do gets him back to sleep, he's awake & thats it I cant force him to sleep if he doesnt want to can i??
He does sleep better at night when he's had a good sleep in the day so i do think that helps.

I suppose if it gets too much for us we will have to ditch the dummy. Will have to talk to DH tonight, see what he says, thanks for the advice x

Heres the websote https://www.sleepsense.net/assessment?gclid=CJvagKSH3aUCFYIe4Qod13_80A
What?? You mean you didn't read it as a taster then go out and buy the whole Thing?:haha:

Thank you :D I'll have a look just now!! Have u found it to be really helpful? xxx
It is incredibly helpful. Best 30 quid I ever spent for sure.

Weve followed it since around when Alex was 1 (poss younger, cant remember), we still do the routine now and i strongly believe its why he is a brilliant sleeper and transitioned to his bed really well and continues to sleep with no problem at all.

What?? You mean you didn't read it as a taster then go out and buy the whole Thing?:haha:

It is incredibly helpful. Best 30 quid I ever spent for sure.

Ive not yet had 30 quid lying around to officially have the book :blush:
Maybe on the next child ill get to buying it properly :lol:

hhhmmmm I'm guessing it could be the dummy but I'm scared to take it away because I know he will scream blue murder & I dont think I can go through that again, its so bloody hard this parenting thing lol x
His naps can be anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour & a half & on the odd occasion 2 hours.
He normally has 2 naps a day a morning & afternoon nap. If he wakes after 30 minutes nothing I do gets him back to sleep, he's awake & thats it I cant force him to sleep if he doesnt want to can i??
He does sleep better at night when he's had a good sleep in the day so i do think that helps.

I suppose if it gets too much for us we will have to ditch the dummy. Will have to talk to DH tonight, see what he says, thanks for the advice x

If hes waking after 30 mins, that could be when hes moving from one sleep phase to another, execpt he doesnt know how to resettle himself and just wakes up.
Alex's transition is at 40 mins, this is how long he naps for when in the pram as he doesnt sleep that well other than in his bed (front sleeper)

https://www.sleepsense.net/blog/

This one is all about dummies. I swear this woman is reading this thread and doing her blogs to suit!

FooGirl - thanks for the link & I can see how the dummy can disrupt his sleep.
I think I might need to give it ago but tbh I think i'm more worried about failing & giving in :-(

FooGirl - thanks for the link & I can see how the dummy can disrupt his sleep.
I think I might need to give it ago but tbh I think i'm more worried about failing & giving in :-(

Whenever I felt like giving in (although it was my boobs I was taking away at bedtime rather than a dummy) I just kept telling myself that if I did, all her crying would have been for nothing. If she was going to cry, it was better that it was for something!

Arcane told me she used an I-pod to take the edge off. How I wish I'd thought of that!

Ladies!

I’ve been MIA. Firstly, welcome to Reedy and Steph! You’ve been given some fab advice already – and I’d definitely recommend sticking around on the thread, it’s a source of great support when you start trying to get things in place. First few nights are hard, so make sure you have some support…DH and I took turns…but it’s amazing how quickly things turn round. Lizzie was five months when we started, and she would only sleep on me or DH. We were paranoid we’d have an accident with her on us, as we were both like zombies…I couldn’t believe how quickly she got into a comfortable sleep routine, and she was soooooo much happier for it! Good thing about SS is, you are right there sat beside them…so they never have that abandoned feeling. I always found Lizzie was more angry at not being able to get to sleep than actually upset, iykwim? I came to understand her cries quite quickly. We didn’t have a dummy, as Lizzie has always been a thumb sucker…which, I guess, makes things easier (it’s always there for her!) Let us know how things are going.

FG – that must be stressful on the walking front. I can fully imagine well intentioned words are bl00dy annoying after a while, too. When will she be getting the shoes? I’ve got to say, though, that girl knows how to chat!! Am LOVING the ‘temper’ comment…and especially the ‘what’s your problem?’ There are going to be no flies at all on that girl when it comes to the power of debate!!

HC – how’s everything with you?

HG – how is Mr HG’s hand? Is everything going ok?

How’s everyone else?

*Can* you all imagine a SS get together!? Would be amazingly good fun – but the thought of the Diva Club being together en masse has me in fits of laughter. We’d need to hire out a private room, otherwise the diva moments would see us chucked out!! :rofl:

Well, we’ve had a rotten, rotten, rotten few days. Bang on cue after ‘incubation’ time for MMR vaccine…Lizzie had high temperature, watery eyes, running nose, sore throat and complete lack of appetite. I’ve been in tears; I just cannot bear to see her ill. Doc was an idiot – and am complaining – as kept trying to say she had a virus, despite nurse, my research and paediatrician friend all saying: MMR! All am taking from this is…if that is very mild measles, am glad we did it…because I’d hate to see what full blown measles is like. We’ve just had lots and lots of cuddles, and very early starts. Mr TG is now ill, so poor ole me!! I’ve been running around like the proverbial fly with a blue posterior. Well, La Liz managed a big bowl of custard last night…and porridge this morning, and now a yoghurt before nap…her temp is normal, so please send lots of GET WELL thoughts!

Right, big :hugs: all round – am off to seek caffeine and sustenance of some sort. Expletive cat has harangued the chickens and also knocked a load of baubles flying, so I may have to have a verbal feline fight, too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->