Slings may kill!!!!!

Ok I know we've moved on from the original topic but saw some mentioning about stroller deaths and other similar things. This is about car seats...injuries sustained NOT involving a car accident, but kids left unattended or other things similar while in a car seat.

https://www.caritasholyfamily.org/NewsLetters.asp?PageID=P09861

Yet of course car seats are great things and needed, but you need to use common sense....same with slings/carriers :D

I've never come near to an accident with a carrier but I did have a very near miss with the pram when someone kindly went to help me down stairs and slipped, tipping the pram over and my LO nearly went straight up and out of the waist straps. This is one of the reasons I get so annoyed at people (usually random strangers) nagging me about the safety of the sling.

I don't understand the argument that you might fall or bump into something/somebody might bump into you. By that logic, nobody should ever be pregnant...

I'm not sure why people think they are dangerous...bag slings aside...but just carriers in general? I've never had anyone say anything like that to me, most have actually been really interested in my carriers and make nice comments, but I have heard many say they've had people making comments suggesting it's dangerous. I don't get why they think that though? They are right there on you....that would be like saying just walking and holding your baby is dangerous or something

I've never had negative comments either. completly the opposite in fact, people, (especially old ladies...) are forever stopping me and telling me how comfy/cosy/safe/warm he looks and how they wish they had one 50yrs ago when they had babies!

People always seem to be worried about me falling over with River in her carrier but my reply is "when was the last time you just fell over"

Arif prefers to just carry Leyla (and then decide she's too heavy and get me to carry her after 5 mins :dohh:) but I'm always worried he'll fall over. When she's in a sling, I have my arms free to hold rails or break a fall and protect her, whereas when he just carries her, he'd either have to drop Leyla to put his arms out to break a fall or hold onto her and maybe land on her. Nobody ever says anything about parents carrying their child so it's daft that they'd think slings were unsafe!

exactly, if you were to fall they would be a lot lot safer in a carrier because its natural instinct to put your arms out to grab something, no matter how much you think youd be able to resist and keep hold of your baby ive read its literally impossible, which is also why you should never just carry your baby in teh car, exact same reason, youd drop the baby in an impact :nope:

x

I've just read through this whole thread and so far my face has gone like this...

:dohh::growlmad::haha::growlmad::haha::growlmad::rofl::wacko:

a very random thread indeed!
i think we should post a 'SLUGS CAN KILL' THREAD! I swear slugs can plot!! i have a slug that finds its way into my living room and leaves leaves little trails by the bay window...i've caught it a few times and chucked it over the fence at the bottom of the garden (and once in my anger i even flushed it down the loo) but each night without fail its back!? the trails r only ever just infront of the bay and nowhere near the door or rest of room :shrug: so my slug has a trap door...and can somehow get out the loo or speed back from the bottom of the garden! i thin thats worth warning people about!!

exactly, if you were to fall they would be a lot lot safer in a carrier because its natural instinct to put your arms out to grab something, no matter how much you think youd be able to resist and keep hold of your baby ive read its literally impossible, which is also why you should never just carry your baby in teh car, exact same reason, youd drop the baby in an impact :nope:

x

I assumed this would be the case until the day I fell on ice outside my house while holding my 5 month old son. I finished up full length on the ground (bashed head, injured shoulder, the lot) but still holding him up in the air at arms length!

I was going to say, A friend of mine took a really bad fall and mnaged to not even scratch her daughter. I think protecting our children becomes the overriding instinct, mainly because these things occupy our thoughts so much. Like when crossing roads, going down stairs etc.

Yeah I fell in the parking lot one day, holding Casen's hand and had Hayden in my arms. I did take them both down with me but somehow managed to keep their heads from the ground, they didn't get hurt, just got scared. I hit my elbow and head pretty hard though

I don't think slings 'kill' as such, i think it could be people uneducated about how to use them that causes a problem?!

I will be baby wearing, and i will do my best to educated myself as best a can to make sure no accidents happen.

i have fallen in the snow while Daisy was in my pouch sling and i managed to save my fall..tho i think if she wasnt in the sling i'd have probably dropped her cos of the way i fell - i slipped iff a kerb in the snow and onto my side (the side i always carry her on ) thank god for my sling eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->