Slings suffocating Babies!!!

Eskimobabys

Mama to TWO!
Reaction score
So sad glad i read this! not that i was planning on using a "Sling" anyway!

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_bi_ge/us_baby_slings_warning_4

It's not all slings, it's only that style, the "bag slings" the position it makes the babies lay in, pouch/ring slings and other types of baby carriers are safe :) I tried the bag sling type with Landon, was the only carrier I tried and I hated them, so uncomfortable, he looked it too, so bulky and hard to carry, plus he didn't seem very secure in it

I have a Hotsling and it says on the instructions to make sure baby's chin is not laying against his/her chest (on the website.)
It was the babies being in a crunched up position that prevented them from getting adequate air through their windpipes. I never liked to put Adi in the sling when he was younger because he was a big baby and seemed more cramped than comfortable, even though he didn't complain.

It is awful! When using my bjorn carrier I was approached by a woman in the street saying to be very careful as someone she knew suffocated her lo using one like that... When the face towards you. Personally I am quite careful and ensure his airways are clear and I think it's about bwnc sensible!

I think this is the third time the same thing has been posted here in a week :dohh:

I think this is the third time the same thing has been posted here in a week :dohh:

Lol, it's because we're all terrible, terrible mothers and need folk coming over and telling us that we're selfish and wrong to wear our babies the way women have for centuries. We should really just listen to the Victorians and make sure the baby is seen and not heard, let them cry it out and feel isolated in their prams and cots...

Oh wait, no...I for one am glad I WILL be choosing to use a "sling"....:haha:

There was also that awful story of the baby who smothered while bfing - no-one claimed bfing was unsafe generally, just to take common sense precautions. Same applies to carriers...

Lol, it's because we're all terrible, terrible mothers and need folk coming over and telling us that we're selfish and wrong to wear our babies the way women have for centuries. We should really just listen to the Victorians and make sure the baby is seen and not heard, let them cry it out and feel isolated in their prams and cots...

:haha:

A baby can suffocate in ANYTHING if you use it wrong

^ THAT!

13 deaths over 20 years... come on. I'm willing to bet there's been a lot more buggy-related deaths over the same time frame, yet you don't see people being urged not to use them!!

Like everything- as parents we have to use our common sense and ensure we're educated about the products we're using. Anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Glad I wasnt the one to say it!! Apparently we all need to be told we are about to kill our children...although I think we all are aware of these deaths relating to the ONE type of carrier already :dohh: Its not news to us...we know.....

I know it's a bit like we better let those crazy natural parenting types that they're inadvertantly going to suffocate their babies. Although we do things slightly more alternatively doesn't mean we do it without safety x

13 deaths over 20 years... come on. I'm willing to bet there's been a lot more buggy-related deaths over the same time frame, yet you don't see people being urged not to use them!!

I've seen soooo many people standing at the side of the road with their own feet on the path but the buggy/pram out into the road, waiting for a safe time to cross. Bet loads of babies have been hurt in buggies, like that awful Australian video that was going round a while ago, though the baby was luckily fine in that one.

well then stupid people need to make sure that there is no fabric over the babies head..... they need to take some responsibilty for now being safe about babywearing not blaming products. eugh... almost as bad as the '50% of babies die when sharing the parental bed' thing... so where to the other 50% die.... hurmm

Firstly im not attacking none of you i MY self plan on baby wearing and doing cloth diapers and BF so im NOT standing here saying you all are a bunch of freak "Nature moms" who need to conform to the rest of siteocity! i happen to AGREE with this style of parenting what I DONT AGREE with is using "BAG SLING" carriers i dont think they are safest to use i much more prefer the warps, where you can have your baby up against your chest and make sure his/her chin isnt touching there chest and theres no fabric over the face. all of your are very warm and cuddley makes a person wanna be apart of the "Natural parenting Group"! THANK YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAY!

aw eskimosbabys dont take any of that personally, we know you were trying to be helpful, so none of it was aimed at you personally,
we just hear this over and over again as everybody comes to tell us about these articles but rather than looking for previous threads they start a new.

i think people are more annoyed about how the article portrays babywearers and gives a negative impact to those who wear safely

:hugs::hugs:

Firstly im not attacking none of you i MY self plan on baby wearing and doing cloth diapers and BF so im NOT standing here saying you all are a bunch of freak "Nature moms" who need to conform to the rest of siteocity! i happen to AGREE with this style of parenting what I DONT AGREE with is using "BAG SLING" carriers i dont think they are safest to use i much more prefer the warps, where you can have your baby up against your chest and make sure his/her chin isnt touching there chest and theres no fabric over the face. all of your are very warm and cuddley makes a person wanna be apart of the "Natural parenting Group"! THANK YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAY!

Dont worry about it :flower: its light hearted enough. I think a lot of us get stick from various places for one reason or another, be it baby wearing, co-cleeping, gentle discipline, self weaning, BLW, FULL TERM (I remembered!) breastfeeding and whatever else....
as with anything if you practise it safely there is no risk, practise it unsafely there is a big risk. It applies to everything not just AP related issues but EVERYTHING. :thumbup:

i know y'all get attack alot bc of what you believe in.parenting is a very sensitive subject and i very personal one. ppl look at me crazy all the time when i say i dont wanna stroller/Pram or im using cloth diapers sorry if i stepped on any toes! just wanted to know if y'all agree that bag slings suck.

LOL yeah I agree they are crappy. I have Mobys, an Ellaroo and a connecta :)

Hey eskimo hun. :hugs: I use a moby wrap and a babyhawk mei tei if your interested in good carriers. I think everyone is sensitive because us 'crunchy' mamas get a bad reputation at times. I know I've gotten a lot of negative responses from friends and family about my decisions to cloth diaper, attachment parent, and breastfeeding. :shrug: I too saw this sling issue on the news. I tried a sling in the beginning with Emma and she hated it. A baby can suffocate by co-sleeping as well but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->