• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smoking while pregnant.. is it child abuse?

Yes, but smoking isnt. Just because something is legal doesnt make it right or not harmful.

We all know how unjust the law can be

Its amazing how you keep saying it doesnt make it right or not harmful because nobody in this thread has said that it is right or it isnt harmful. It doesnt affect all babies like you say it does but it is not right! Please stop going on like we are saying it is. Thats word twisting and nobody here has said that.

I dont think its right but I dont think its child abuse. Eating a runny egg when pregnant is potentially harmful yet would you call someone who does that a child abuser or if you ate a bit of soft cheese?

Your judging everyones situation like your own and its not like that. You said previously everything is black and white whereas its not, it is because you think its pretty simple, give up and have a healthy baby! Wasnt the case for me and I gave up..

Eating a runny egg isn't the same as smoking! It's nowhere near as risky.
You should do what you can to minimise the risks.
Yes you can still have an unhealthy baby if you give up....but I bet the chances are overall cut.

But it still carries a risk so because its just a small risk its not the same! :wacko: crazy! it should all be classed as the same shouldnt it.

Hmm thats why u said ' in my view' because it wasnt ur opinion? Im confused PB... and showing emotion is being human, dont you relate to that anymore as a scientist?

And i love having morals, there needs to be alot more in this world.

'In my view' because I also agree with the legal position. Whilst it would be nice for the foetus to be recognised it automatically comes at the expense of the mother and I don't agree with that.

Whilst it might not seem like it I can completely see where you and the others 'on your side' are coming from I really can. I just don't find that life is that simple and straightforward.

As for my emotions, I have plenty (even when not pregnant!) and I am sure you can see feel very passionately about a lot of things. I also feel pretty passionately anti-smoking in all circumstances but I am compelled by my nature to consider all sides and weigh them up. In some cases I agree with the legal position, in some cases I don't. In some cases I feel the blame lies with an individual, in some cases I don't. I also try to consider the practical implications in a debate such as this, whether such a measure could be policed or what the implications would be. Sometimes my emotions for something will override all the rational analysis I've done because the subject is too horrid, this isn't one of those times. I detest smoking but I can't detest smokers, whatever their circumstances, because I believe each individual's reasons and life is different and I won't know anything about it unless I actually know the person. So I don't judge that. As a scientist I believe there is no evil, there is genetics and there is environment (be that chemical or parenting or society etc) and there are a multitude of ways in which these factors interact, far beyond our understanding, so I accept that life is complicated. Can you see where I am coming from?

(By the way if anyone is concerned Shan and I have :kiss: and made up behind the scenes! :lol:)

Yes! I apologised for personally attacking.

I think we will move on from our differing opinions on here now, and im gonna do as i said about 10 pages ago and vacate the building (thread) :) xxx

Not abuse. But it is wrong IMO, and theres no excuse for it.

Smoking while pregnant? While I do think it's disgusting, I don't see it as child abuse. I think mostly because any ill affects are not definite... yes it is a definiate risk and is irresponsible.

Smoking around children? Different story. While I don't condone smoking around children at ALL... for it to be viewed as actual abuse in my eyes I'd have to think of it in the extremes. I.e a child who consistently arrives at school stinking of stale smoke (making it clear the parents smoke at home regularly around the child) and the child has any kind of chest or breathing problems. This to me would show the childs health has be affected as a result of the parent's actions... and this is abuse. Same as if a child was consistently seen under-dressed in winter and suffered an illness related to their exposure to the cold... this I would also see as child abuse.

Our role as parents is to protect our children... not expose them to known health risks xx

I can see the point that many are trying to make, that abuse doesn't nessesarily have to be intentional. But IMO I can't see how a loving mother who is stressed out and lights up a cigarette once with the baby in the back seat can be labelled the same as a mother who beats her child.. it just doesn't sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->