• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smoking while pregnant.. is it child abuse?

Abusing a child is intentionally harming a child. Just because a mother knows she may harm her child with cigarette smoke does not mean she wants to or is doing it intentionally.

This to me contradicts itself. If a mother knows that it can and does harm her unborn child but then does it anyway, isnt there some intention there, as she has the power to stop it?

Another word for intention is willful, and a mother who smokes while pregnant is doing so of her own will.

I for one, never mentioned anything about a law to make it illegal. It shouldnt be needed. And i dont agree with killing a fetus either, but theres not much more i can say on that topic, with good reason!

Yes, but smoking isnt. Just because something is legal doesnt make it right or not harmful.

We all know how unjust the law can be

I know, but you are saying it should be classed as child abuse, therefore you would think that would mean making it illegal for preg. women to do?

I think thats why people with that opinion are saying that.

No one is saying its right or not harmful.

I guess my reasoning is it shouldnt have to be illegal, if you are pregnant, for the sake of ur child u should stop.

Even if it were illegal, its not going to stop people from doing it.

Therefore whether it legal or illegal is besides the point. The OP asked if one thought it was abuse, and i think it is, without going into all the technicalities

Question, if a mother was smoking dope while pregnant, cause its an illegal substance, would you then regard it as abuse? Just curious.

I consider it all harmful, but I guess I don't consider a fetus as a being with rights, in the eyes of the law.

I come from a family that has many foster kids, all with fetal alcohol syndrome. Drinking is legal, and they can't apprehend the baby until the mom drinks while taking care of it while its born. The law doesn't care about the baby until it is born, therefore I don't classify it as "child" abuse.

Morally wrong, yes.

It's the same as prescription drugs, or any drug use. Legal or not, we cannot stop a pregnant person from doing it.

At least an actual baby we can take away.

I dont care what the law says, like u said its morally wrong. The law, more often than not, is messed up

The babies u mentioned above suffering from FAS, will potentially suffer life long problems. That will affect them for the rest of their lives, thats abuse. Whether its done before birth or not, they are suffering from it after birth.

Well the original post was talking about legality, so that is what I, and the others, have been discussing.

Not the term abuse.

Like I said, no one agrees with it or likes it.

Wishing on a star- you have eloquently summed up what I have tried to say several times in this thread which people just dont seem to comprehend! Thank you! The existence of abuse is NOT contingent on the wilfulness or malicious intention of the abuser!!!!

Wouldn't make a difference what the mother was doing, in my view, a foetus is not a child therefore any effects are not child abuse. :shrug:

Yes, but smoking isnt. Just because something is legal doesnt make it right or not harmful.

Its amazing how you keep saying it doesnt make it right or not harmful because nobody in this thread has said that it is right or it isnt harmful. It doesnt affect all babies like you say it does but it is not right! Please stop going on like we are saying it is. Thats word twisting and nobody here has said that.

I dont think its right but I dont think its child abuse. Eating a runny egg when pregnant is potentially harmful yet would you call someone who does that a child abuser or if you ate a bit of soft cheese?

Your judging everyones situation like your own and its not like that. You said previously everything is black and white whereas its not, it is because you think its pretty simple, give up and have a healthy baby! Wasnt the case for me and I gave up..

Its amazing how you keep saying it doesnt make it right or not harmful because nobody in this thread has said that it is right or it isnt harmful. It doesnt affect all babies like you say it does but it is not right! Please stop going on like we are saying it is. Thats word twisting and nobody here has said that.

I dont think its right but I dont think its child abuse. Eating a runny egg when pregnant is potentially harmful yet would you call someone who does that a child abuser or if you ate a bit of soft cheese?

Your judging everyones situation like your own and its not like that. You said previously everything is black and white whereas its not, it is because you think its pretty simple, give up and have a healthy baby! Wasnt the case for me and I gave up..

Eating a runny egg isn't the same as smoking! It's nowhere near as risky.
You should do what you can to minimise the risks.
Yes you can still have an unhealthy baby if you give up....but I bet the chances are overall cut.

I said 'just because something is legal doesnt make it right' blah blah. I never said anyone siad it wasnt harmful did i, but i keep stating my opinion as there just seems to be all these reasons and excuses that keep coming up, i dont know why u keep singling me out like im not allowed to have an opinion.

And now a fetus isnt a child? Wow tell that to someone who has a miscarrige....i find the attitude that a fetus has no rights and is not a 'child' disgusting and inhumane. Its a forming child with all its genetics from the second its conceived. My Daughter was my child from the momment she was conceived, wasnt yours??

Saying a fetus is not a child to me is heartless and morally despicable

Unsubscribing to this thread.

A foetus is a foetus not a child. Do you know whether or not I've had a miscarriage? No you don't so don't assume everyone feels the same way about everything just because they've shared a life experience. It's just a term. Just like a child isn't an adult.

And if a mother is unlucky enough to contract listeria from one of the foods advised against then the effects on the baby can be absolutely catastrophic including death. Something unlikely for a baby whose mother has smoked a little during her pregnancy.

A foetus is a foetus not a child. Do you know whether or not I've had a miscarriage? No you don't so don't assume everyone feels the same way about everything just because they've shared a life experience. It's just a term. Just like a child isn't an adult.

And if a mother is unlucky enough to contract listeria from one of the foods advised against then the effects on the baby can be absolutely catastrophic including death. Something unlikely for a baby whose mother has smoked a little during her pregnancy.

I guess saying a foetus is not a child means it's worth nothing untill birth....so why take care of it?
In that case, yeh sure. Smoke all you like during pregnancy...
I feel more on the side that my baby was precious to me the minute I knew of his existence.

Foetus is just a term. A baby is not a child. A child is not a teenager.
Are they worth less just because they have different names and ages?
Why should MORALLY something have more rights just because it can fend for itself? especially when it comes to HUMAN life.

No, you said a fetus wasnt a child, and u were clear that you meant in the way that in your view they have no rights, they are not yet human.

I wouldnt expect you to feel the same as me as we are about as opposite as u get and tbh, i wouldnt want your attitude or view of the world in a million years.

You seem to twist and distort whats right, and make excuses for whats wrong, in the majority of ur posts

Personal much? :wacko: Foetus doesn't have human rights because it is not considered a child until it is born. This is the international legal position not my distorted view of the world. How many times do we have to go round in circles about this?

I'd be interested to see where I said a foetus has no value as that's obviously not my opinion. Do you really think that the girl I am carrying right now is worthless to me? Get a grip. I'm just able to use terms without them carrying an emotional burden that's all.

Your're right we're polar opposites in our world view and likewise I wouldn't want your monochromatic view of the world either. Carrying such a moral burden must be exhausting. I'm a scientist so I look at the world through analytical eyes not clouded by a blanket of emotions.

I have had a miscarriage before I had Chloe and Jaycee, to me it was my child but in society that foetus doesnt have ANY rights, thats the point being made here. :wacko: When I was pregnant I did all I could for Chloe and Jaycee and still ended up having them prematurely. I stopped working, took breaks, rested up, didnt smoke, didnt drink, ate all the right foods.. It happens even if you do take the risks.
Its just awful to label something as child abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->