• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Soap in the Mouth....

I wouldn't do it. I'm not bothered if anyone else does. It's not abusive, to say it is trivialises actual child abuse. Why does it always seem so difficult for parents to accept there is more than one way to raise a child?

Over a period of time and used constantly, yes, soap in the mouth would be classed as abuse.

Along with other things. It may be an indication of a pattern of abuse, but is not necessarily, in itself abuse.

I beg to differ based on experience, but no worries :flower:

Never had it done to me and I wouldn't do it to a child either, that said if a parent who has listened to their child swearing a lot did it once I certainly wouldn't class it as abuse especially with an older child who can understand why swearing is wrong.

If however it was done routinely (daily etc) to any child then yes I would consider it to be abuse and hope for SS to take action and teach parents other methods of discipline before, if necessary taking it further.

I just cant understand why parents cant discipline their child for swearing in the same way they discipline them for anything else? Why the need to do something so drastic?

If an older child can understand swearing is wrong, why use soap in the mouth? That's a bit contradictory.

The thought of it makes me want to cry. I remember when I was little and a friend (probably about 6/7 at the time) had sworn infront of his mum so she rubbed a bar of soap in his mouth. I couldn't stop thinking about it for ages, it made me so sad to think of his mum forcing soap into his mouth and I couldn't fathom living with the fear that my parents could do that (I asked them at the time, they said they never would). I can't not think of it as abusive, it's horrible.

My sister and I had soap put in our mouths once. I must have been 4 maybe? I look back at it now and laugh about it with my sister.

I don't think it's abuse.

I think maybe the reason it seems OTT is, when I was young, children swearing was (quite rightly IMO) seen as a very bad thing, wholly unacceptable. Now it seems not to be quite so socially unacceptable, although to me it is abhorrent. Perhaps this is why the outdated solution seems so much more extreme to parents today.

To clear up the abuse argument. UK definition of child abuse from the NSPCC

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/tra...ons_and_signs_of_child_abuse_pdf_wdf65412.pdf

I would say that forcing a chemical product that isn't intended to be ingested, and would likely be described as poisonous in some manner should you consume it, into a child's mouth would fit under the poisoning aspect of physical abuse. If not, I would definitely say the emotional abuse definitions and bullying ones cover it off.

It doesn't appear that anyone's mind here, on either side of the debate, is going to be changed. Throwing around definitions and links isn't going to do the trick.

It just isn't. :shrug:

Im not trying to change minds. Just throw in the facts. It takes a lot to cause a paradigm shift, more than an internet post. But, regardless of our own views, facts are... Well... Facts.

Generally, people have free will. Hence the ability to change their views and opinions based on new evidence or knowledge. I wouldn't discredit those links.

There sure is a lot of debate and strong emotions for a method of discipline that no one seems to use anymore regardless of what it is defined as...

Because, as mothers, who would do anything to protect ANY child, not just our own. The thought of one being ill-treated brings up some strong emotions. Heck, it actually turns my stomach.

Because, as mothers, who would do anything to protect ANY child, not just our own. The thought of one being ill-treated brings up some strong emotions. Heck, it actually turns my stomach.

Totally agree 10000000000%

But every single person on here as said they would never do it. It would be different if people were saying it was something they would do.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I get your point. The fact no-one HERE does this, has no holding on how it progresses as a debate topic. That's like saying "Geee, you can't have strong emotions and opinions about sexual abuse here, because no-one here has said they do it". The thought of the act is enough to stir up emotion and, as this was posted as a debate, the whole point is to get people sharing things from their own perspective. That is the point of a debate, arguing your perspective on any given topic.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I get your point. The fact no-one HERE does this, has no holding on how it progresses as a debate topic. That's like saying "Geee, you can't have strong emotions and opinions about sexual abuse here, because no-one here has said they do it". The thought of the act is enough to stir up emotion and, as this was posted as a debate, the whole point is to get people sharing things from their own perspective. That is the point of a debate, arguing your perspective on any given topic.

I don't disagree with you about it being classed as abuse, I just think its kind of pointless to argue it when no one is doing it. I don't think it can be compared to sexual abuse at all though.... Completely different.

I'm not comparing the act, you seriously need to re-read my post. I'm making the point, by using that as an example, that just because no-one here is doing it doesn't mean it is not a subject that can be part of a heated debate. Just because no-one here has done it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Heck the thread started because this was given out as actual parenting advice in the present day.

I'm really not sure if you understand the point of a debates section. Here, we post topics, to hear different views on a whole myriad of topics, before arguing our own point. That's how a debate works and why this whole section was created. Coming here... to the debate section... and saying it's pointless to argue (debate) it... Just seems a little odd.

Whether you think it a worthy debate topic or not, the topic was started, it is being debated, the debate is clean, therefore the topic has a point. That point... Was to be debated.

Shall we debate on the point of a debate some more?

Soap isn't poisonous. If people want to look hard enough practically any form of discipline could be classed as bullying or emotional cruelty.The abuse word is bandied around far too readily and minimises the actual cruelty some people go through. As part of a pattern of behaviour, this outdated form of discipline may be taken into account, but it isn't in itself an abusive act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->