speech and language therapy!!!!!!

smelly07

Mummy of 2 girls & wifey
Reaction score
Finally through work i have managed to persuade my manager to get me on a 'speech and language therapy' course starting january, all paid for by the company!!!!!!!!! i'm SO excited :happydance: especially as my youngest daughter has tounge tie and she may have speech problems... although at the moment, i cant really tell as it could just be developmental!!!

pointless thread really but im really excited and into next year i should have lots of advice to offer on the subject to people on this forum yay!!!

Awesome!

My son starts his speech therapy in January. I'm pretty certain his delays are just developmental. He CAN say the sounds, just chooses not to when he is in a hurry to get his thoughts out lol.

I'm an SLT too and I love it also!!

aww cool we have had some help with DS's speech and hes coming on great! x

I want to work with children....... speech and language therapy is something that i have become interested in since my youngest daughter was born.

is there any good websites i can have a read of or any books, that anyone knows???? i would like to start reading as much info before next month. xxx

Lovely!!! Are you paeds or adults?

Adults - acute stroke specifically - what about you?!

Children, learning disability and dysphagia. I'm on maternity leave until April though :happydance:

Interesting - that's the other area I was considering going into back in the day. Found LD and dysphagia really interesting. My main focus now is acute dysphagia.

Children, learning disability and dysphagia. I'm on maternity leave until April though :happydance:

Interesting - that's the other area I was considering going into back in the day. Found LD and dysphagia really interesting. My main focus now is acute dysphagia.

Wooow girls, I know who to come to for advice on my clinical linguistics course! :lol: I was debating whether to go into SLT, where did you do your post grads?

Wooow girls, I know who to come to for advice on my clinical linguistics course! :lol: I was debating whether to go into SLT, where did you do your post grads?

Are you in England? I dd a undergraduate degree at UCE in Birmingham - the masters are quite hard to get on (well 10 yrs ago they were!) because there wasn't many spaces. I did a psychology degree first and got really into linguistics and neuropsychology, and child language acquisition. SLT seemed like an interesting career to use those interests. It's hard working in the NHS but clinically I love it.

Are you in England? I dd a undergraduate degree at UCE in Birmingham - the masters are quite hard to get on (well 10 yrs ago they were!) because there wasn't many spaces. I did a psychology degree first and got really into linguistics and neuropsychology, and child language acquisition. SLT seemed like an interesting career to use those interests. It's hard working in the NHS but clinically I love it.

Ahh sounds amazing - it really does interest me. I study linguistics and philosophy at university, my favourite modules are child language acquisition and clinical linguistics. I heard the masters is difficult to get on to, and that I would need 60% of my degree in ling (I currently study 50/50 split with philosophy) so I really need to decide before entering my third year whether I want to go down that route!

I did my undergrad degree in Belfast (Jordanstown) and went back to do my postgrad in dysphagia there too. I love it and can't imagine doing anything else but find the swallowing side of work stressful.

I want to work with children....... speech and language therapy is something that i have become interested in since my youngest daughter was born.

is there any good websites i can have a read of or any books, that anyone knows???? i would like to start reading as much info before next month. xxx

Are you in the UK? Where are you doing the course?

Yes i am in the UK. The course i am doing isnt a degree to be a SLT.......its a course to help children in our setting who have speech and language problems and to assist and work alongside their SLT if they have one......although as it is something that interest me and if i enjoy this training course..... it is something i will look into doing in the future......I have been told the best way to get into it is to be a SLT assistant which i would be able to do and train whilst working but this is very hard to get into plus i would need a term time only job so when my youngest starts school.... i have been advised to volunteer with either the local surestarts centre or schools SLT and go from there......well thats a possible plan. x

Good on you smells, my niece had therapy she pronounced her 's' as a 'sssn' through her nose. She's 21 now but she still laughs sometimes at her inability to say her best friends name sssnara!! Didn't take that long either, dread to think how shed talk now had it not been corrected.

Yes i am in the UK. The course i am doing isnt a degree to be a SLT.......its a course to help children in our setting who have speech and language problems and to assist and work alongside their SLT if they have one......although as it is something that interest me and if i enjoy this training course..... it is something i will look into doing in the future......I have been told the best way to get into it is to be a SLT assistant which i would be able to do and train whilst working but this is very hard to get into plus i would need a term time only job so when my youngest starts school.... i have been advised to volunteer with either the local surestarts centre or schools SLT and go from there......well thats a possible plan. x

Sounds great, have sent you a website link x

Good on you smells, my niece had therapy she pronounced her 's' as a 'sssn' through her nose. She's 21 now but she still laughs sometimes at her inability to say her best friends name sssnara!! Didn't take that long either, dread to think how shed talk now had it not been corrected.

Thank you Tina :kiss:

Sounds great, have sent you a website link x

thank you i really appreciate it :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"