• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stacey Solomon Smoking whilst pregnant

For reference, anyone who says its child abuse or neglect probably has never had the shit beaten out of them for no reason, and has generally always had food on the table. Just saying.

You recon? I have grown up with a house FULL of smoke from birth, i have had the shit beaten out of me ..with a baseball bat actually and at times when i was growing up i was actually lucky if i got a meal.

And i class ALL of the above as child abuse. :shrug:

From a societal standpoint, you can't class smoking whilst pregnant as child abuse. As harsh as it is to say, if you give a fetus the same rights as a born child, you're opening a MASSIVE can of worms and laws regarding all sorts of things would have to be changed.

Fetuses should have the right to vote.

Now its getting stupid. :dohh:

Point made.

A stupid point maybe. How is comparing the health of an unborn baby to baby rights to vote? voting isnt going to endanger health! invalid argument.

As gross as I personally find smoking to be whether someone is pregnant or not, I'm just thankful that this can even be a topic of discussion in the first place. That women have the right to make their own decisions, even while pregnant. I can't imagine a society that would impose restrictions on the freedom of pregnant women, it would be nearly impossible and extremely oppressive with all of the monitoring that would have to be done. So personally I don't agree with it and would never do it myself, but someone else will and I really have no place condemning her for doing so. It would be nice if all women (and people in general) tried their best to make healthy choices, but the reality is that some try and fail, and others don't even try at all. Honestly, I do judge a bit internally (especially my pregnant coworkers who are educated RNs), but I know it's really not my place to publicly express that or say a thing to them.

It's funny, my mother thought enough of it to quit smoking when she became pregnant with me, but then she'd drag me to her chain smoking parents' house after I was born. They smoked in the same room for the entire time I'd visit, and by the end of each visit I could barely breathe or see. I dreaded going there, but never had a choice because I was so young. I now have asthma and a severe smoke allergy which is likely related to the years of second hand exposure. Those grandparents are both long dead of lung cancer. Me and OH have set up strict rules for the MIL because she's still smoking. She's entertaining the idea of quitting, I really hope she does because I'll never put my son in the same situation I was placed in.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, some are just more entitled than others!

A stupid point maybe. How is comparing the health of an unborn baby to baby rights to vote? voting isnt going to endanger health! invalid argument.

Its kind of funny that you're calling the point stupid...when it was intended to be that way?

If you look at the quote that that went along with, it said something along the lines of "fetal rights would open up a whole new can of worms"...
hence the "fetuses should be able to vote"...

Really?? I DONT really think fetuses should be able to vote...wth.....:dohh:

This is so stupid :rofl: No better or worse than any other smoking thread though. Good to read while I'm eating my brekky anyway, it's still more interesting than the local rag. Does anyone else read these threads for entertainment now because there are so many of them and the same shit just keeps getting said over and over, just in different ways lol? I do. It amazes me how many ways people can come up with time and again to be rude in different words.

Its kind of funny that you're calling the point stupid...when it was intended to be that way?

If you look at the quote that that went along with, it said something along the lines of "fetal rights would open up a whole new can of worms"...
hence the "fetuses should be able to vote"...

Really?? I DONT really think fetuses should be able to vote...wth.....:dohh:

Are you being satirical and i'm just not getting it?

Dont make me use google for the meaning of that word satricical :growlmad:

I get your point now you where making I didnt realize you where intentionally being like that.

I had to look up google to check the spelling of it, if it matters.

OK I googled and am not being like that just thought you meant literally.

I dont agree with it but at the end of the day its her choice to choose to do this xx

Why do grown up adults call for threads to be loacked? Surely adults are able to debate and discuss? Just because people disagree with each other does not mean that all threads like this need to be locked?

I know that I for one followed all guidelines and do all I can to make good choices. I constantly look at the choices I make and critcally reassess them. I know many, many other parents who do the same. I feel no differently about Stacey Soloman than I do anyone else smoking in pg. For me , it is not okay and never will be. Last time I looked I was entitled to have these opinions and as an adult wearing my big girl pants I stand by them.

Because its getting down right rude and offensive. :thumbup:

I dont like her because at christmas her song kept coming on tv home for christmas on the iceland add. :) And I dont like that song anyway , nerrrr! :finger:

For reference, anyone who says its child abuse or neglect probably has never had the shit beaten out of them for no reason, and has generally always had food on the table. Just saying.

You recon? I have grown up with a house FULL of smoke from birth, i have had the shit beaten out of me ..with a baseball bat actually and at times when i was growing up i was actually lucky if i got a meal.

And i class ALL of the above as child abuse. :shrug:

I was brought up in a house full of smoke (was 40 years ago and my parents wouldnt do it now I may add ) but I certainly wouldnt for one minute suggest that I was an abused child. That is IMO utterly ridiculous. If it were child abuse the social services would get involved. If you called the police and said someone was smoking in their house with a child and could they pop round to do something about it they would laugh at you. (For info, I dont agree with it but its ludicrous to suggest its child abuse)

Why do grown up adults call for threads to be loacked? Surely adults are able to debate and discuss? Just because people disagree with each other does not mean that all threads like this need to be locked?

I know that I for one followed all guidelines and do all I can to make good choices. I constantly look at the choices I make and critcally reassess them. I know many, many other parents who do the same. I feel no differently about Stacey Soloman than I do anyone else smoking in pg. For me , it is not okay and never will be. Last time I looked I was entitled to have these opinions and as an adult wearing my big girl pants I stand by them.

Because its getting down right rude and offensive. :thumbup:

Then perhaps those on both sides who are being offensive need to get a grip. If you cannot take part in a discussion without being offensive when others disagree with you then I question if a forum is the right place for you. This happens over and over again. People don't like how a thread is going/ the fact people disagree and immediately call for it to be closed. Why do adults need someone to jump in all the time? It is akin to being in the playground.

I grew up in a house that Dad smoked in when we were in bed, and he smoked in the car too when we were growing up and I don't feel abused either. It was different times back then though I guess. I still don't feel abused, though.

I don't think it is right, but I don't think it is child abuse either. I think if you smoke then you have to deal with the consequences of it, sometimes that happens years later. I smoked with my first son ( he is 20 now) and he was really hyper all throughout his youth, he is fine now, but I did read a study that smoking does cause children to be more at risk for problems later in life like hyperactivity and asthma and other things, don't ask me to provide any links, I read them 20 yrs. ago :haha: It is a women's choice but for me I would not make it. I love how people say oh I was fine when my mom smoked with me or my kid is fine and I smoked, yes but sometimes problems arise later on life. I am not judging just trying to give my opinion. . :flower::flower::flower:

I don't usually comment on threads like this but I was subjected to toxins from smoking as a fetus and I was smoked around as a child. This was in the house, in the bedroom with the door shut in the car etc and have spent my adult life angry that nobody protected me from this and that in the future I am at risk of lung cancer as well as god knows what else.

I have never really thought of it as child abuse but I can see where people are coming from after having a good think about it and talking to my husband who is a social worker. By smoking around a child your are putting them at risk and are neglecting their health needs - especially if they have asthma for example as I do. Neglect is classed as child abuse. Neglect isn't just leaving a child in a room with no food or love it is a very broad category. Continuing to smoke around a child that is already under a social services care order could be the determining factor in whether the child is removed or not, so i guess this shows how serious the issue is.

As with all things nothing is done about parents who smoke around their children because it is such a large number and there is a lack of money to deal with it. i'm sure if there there was enough money things would be different.

Saying all this I understand that smoking is addictive and difficult to stop and there needs to be more help and education for people rather than making them feel bad and pressuring them to stop. This surely is going to make them feel that they need a cigarette.

I also feel that If the government weren't so damn greedy for the tax money from cigarettes then I'm sure more would be done about smoking in general. Its hard to tell people that they shouldn't be doing something and that it is dangerous when it is so readily available and allowed to happen. Although this doesn't mean that I think it should be illegal.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->