Starting a new job pregnant (tell or dont tell) advise on whether its a good decision

MommyNikki

Expecting after MMC
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I can use anyones insight to my situation so here I go. I live in the US and lost my job at the hospital back in June 2012. I am currently receiving unemployment benefits but they arent much to what I would bring in from a job (roughly $800/mo). OH, however, had a really good job and was being the heavy during this time. Unemployement worked for me because I found out I was pregnant in Aug 2012 but sadly it ended in MC in Sept. We wanted to try again for our 3rd baby and decided we would try for a month and if it happened, great and if not then I would just try to find a job or go back to school. I ended up getting pregnant again tho! I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and I am showing because I was slightly bigger from my other 2 kids turning me into a whale in my previous pregnancies, however I am still able to hide it in a coat or bigger article of clothing.

Heres where my question comes in....I have an interview in 2 days for a civil service job (meaning I would be working for the state and would get GREAT benefits and great pay) for a 911 dispatch position. If I pass this 2 hour test, I will immediately have an interview...Should I tell them that I am pregnant or no? Technically they arent supposed to discriminate against pregnant applicants but lets get real...any interviewing a pregnant person is thinking:

(...they will need time off after the baby, they will have a million appts, they will probably need to leave early cause they are sick, and we def cant fire a pregnant person if its not working out because it will look like discrimination...)

Its nice being able to kick back on unemployment but honestly its not enough money to do anything, but it would get me through my pregnancy and after....but if I got the job I would be bringing in ALOT more money and it would give me a chance to have a job to turn into a career. Should I not bring up Im pregnant until Im hired?

Advise Please!!!

If it were me, I'd be honest and upfront about it. You can always expand and say if you know what time you would like off or answer any of their questions. I know someone who did this and was offered the job.

I also know many people in my workplace and others where they've found out after the person started in post and the feelings of animosity/irritation are substantial!!

I would hope they respect your honesty and the opportunity to ask questions - I know I would.

Do you think it's right to not say anything during the interview but if they offer the job then to tell them I'm pregnant? And see if that's still okay with them?

Do you think it's right to not say anything during the interview but if they offer the job then to tell them I'm pregnant? And see if that's still okay with them?

If they offer you the job and you tell them you're pregnant, even if they're not ok with it they can't tell you that or take back the job offer as that's discrimination.

How far gone are you? I'm not sure of the US rules but in the UK you have to tell the job interviewers if you're 25+ weeks.

I had an interview at 23 weeks and didn't tell them; I didn't want it to be awkward in the interview and, in my opinion, it was obvious that I was pregnant and I didn't try and hide it. The job I went for is one that I am more than competent at doing (it was exactly the same job that I've been doing for three years previously with less responsibility - I was made redundant from my previous job after funding for the position was cut).

When I accepted the job I told them that I was pregnant and when I started the job my new boss told me that she hadn't realised that I was pregnant. I explained the predicament that I had been in and that I didn't want to A be discriminated against or B make it awkward by bringing it up in the interview. She told me that she was glad that I didn't and that I was a good candidate and that's why I got the job and they've been nothing but wonderful with me since, even though I was only there for 8 weeks before my maternity leave started (my clearance for the job took a while).

I was made to feel welcome and settled in quickly, my boss has even been round since I've had the baby to meet her. She also encouraged me to take a year of maternity leave if I could afford to. I worked right up until a week before my due date and managed to do a lot before I left to show that I am a hard worker and am going to return to the job.

I think it's an individual decision on whether you tell them at the interview, but as I said they can't tell you they're not happy employing you pregnant if you tell them when/if you're offered the position as that's still discrimination.

Xx

Well I called then and told them before my testing/interview and they still encouraged me to come but they were supposed to call yesterday or today and nothing but its ok by me because there was a chance is be on all 3rd shift and I really didn't want that

I'm from the uk and only found out I was pregnant about a week or to before I got offered a job. To my credit I applied for it before I knew I was pregnant. Then I got offered it and didn't tell them as I was only 5/6 weeks and didn't know if it would stick.
Fast forward to 3/4 weeks later and I HAD to tell them because there was an outbreak of slapped cheek in the nursery and I was at risk! Cue many shocked colleagues faces! Lol. 6-7 months later I went on maternity leave and since have got pregnant again, so I won't be returning.
xx

My wife just started a new job a few weeks ago. She is 10 weeks and hasn't told them yet. She is planning on telling them around 12 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->