Sterilize weaning spoons?

margarita1979

Reaction score
I was reading through Annabel Karmel's puree book and noticed that she recommends sterilizing weaning spoons for the first 6 months of use. Does anybody do this? I've just been using hot water and soap (basically washing it like any other spoon we use).

What? Way to make purees harder than they need to be! Does she also need the bowl that the puree is served in, and the blender it's made in to be sterilised? I would ignore that completely.

Haha! That's what I was thinking, too, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't the only one. I didn't notice any mention about bowls, blender, etc.

I just put everything in the dishwasher! Xxx

In my Annabel karmel book she does mention its impossible to sterilise everything, ie.blender and pans.

I always sterilise the feeding bowl and spoons though, don't get why you wouldn't... :s

It's not for the first 6 months of use, it's just if your weaning before 6 months.

In my Annabel karmel book she does mention its impossible to sterilise everything, ie.blender and pans.

I always sterilise the feeding bowl and spoons though, don't get why you wouldn't... :s
Well, because by the time they're ready to eat food, they're normally rolling around the floor and stuffing everything they can get their mitts on into their mouths, so it seems like pointless hassle? :shrug:

Yeah but you still have to sterilise bottles and dummies, I just assumed bowls and spoons came in the same category... I mean I don't sterilise her doll and that's always in he'd mouth, but she doesn't eat with it :L

I've never sterilised any of lo's spoons or bowls. It never occurred to me tbh.

Yeah but you still have to sterilise bottles and dummies, I just assumed bowls and spoons came in the same category... I mean I don't sterilise her doll and that's always in he'd mouth, but she doesn't eat with it :L

Never used a bottle or a dummy, so I wouldn't know! My LO hasn't come to any harm.

Ps. The 'disapproval' smilies that you're using are pretty irritating.

Never used a bottle or a dummy, so I wouldn't know! My LO hasn't come to any harm.

What's a disapproval smiley?

What's a disapproval smiley?

:S and :L

The little faces that are meant to convey the message "ugh" or "hmmmm" or other little noises of disapproval for other people's choices.

:s is a confused smiley, as in "I always just assumed everyone did it, so I was surprised to see a thread where people were shocked". You know, the information I've always been given, and everyone I know just sterilised everything until one, I was under the impression it was common practice.

:L is a laughing smiley. I use it all the time.

I can see how my may have misinterpreted my posts if you didn't know what the smileys meant, but I wasn't "disapproving".

However I do feel as though you were making digs at me, especially the comment about "not using bottles" followed by the "disapproving smilies" comment, which made it quite clear it wasn't intended to be a friendly post :(

Confusion all round, I guess... I've usually seen those used as 'Thats crazy' and 'the side-mouth of judgement'. Sorry if you felt judged in turn, I certainly don't have anything against mums who FF or use dummies (as my past posts would show) but I just never did. I sure never sterilized my boob and he's eaten from that every day of his life! :haha:

Thankyou haha, in all fairness, is been using the laughing face for over a year before my partner told me he's always thought it was a worried face :L

I must admit the bottle comment just touched a nerve as its quite a sensitive topic for me, i'm still not quite over not being able to breastfeed tbh... I'm glad it wasn't meant to be judgemental though :) sorry for the misunderstanding!

I've always thought that you only sterilise milk-related stuff like bottles up to a year because milk is such a breeding ground for bacteria that you want to make sure everything is completely clean before you start. Sterilising helps minimise the risk from improperly cleaned bottles too. Plates, cups, cutlery etc doesn't need sterilising after 6 months. Baby will be licking shoes long before that anyway!

I've always thought that you only sterilise milk-related stuff like bottles up to a year because milk is such a breeding ground for bacteria that you want to make sure everything is completely clean before you start. Sterilising helps minimise the risk from improperly cleaned bottles too. Plates, cups, cutlery etc doesn't need sterilising after 6 months. Baby will be licking shoes long before that anyway!

Love it! :rofl:

I started the thread as I thought "uh oh, maybe this [sterlizing spoons] is a common thing that people do, and I'm completely oblivious to it." FTM moment. :haha: Thanks for all the replies ladies!

That's ridiculous. At this age kids are shoving everything in their mouths anyway and those things are certainly not sterilized. This is a time of immunity building!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->