Strep B test :(

Mrsmitch80

Reaction score
Got a letter today to say I'm a carrier of strep B, it all seems so scary!

Feeling very sad, my first birth was very traumatic, in theatre and took a long time to get over. My second birth couldn't have been more different, I loved every second, it was an amazing water birth. I was hoping for the same again but I think that won't be possible now as I will need IV antibiotics during the birth :(

I will be so glad when this little bean is here, I've bled constantly and now this strep B news it's all such a worry. This will be my last baby and I vowed to enjoy pregnancy but that isn't happening :(

Try not to be disheartened huni :hugs:. I was strep b + with DD and everything was fine :). I had to go into hospital when contractions were bout 6-8 mins apart, when the time came, they placed a cannula in my hand and administrated the first load of AB, then 2h later I had my second dose, then hour or so later I gave birth to DD. It didnt effect my labour at all, tad inconvenient but its just another thing we have to put up with ;) xx

I'm a carrier as well and had the medicine for both pregnancies. I am sure this one will be the same. It's a very simple process and easy fix, don't worry sweetie.

Thank you ladies :) had my heart set on a water birth again but slowly coming around to the idea that it won't happen.

It's nice to hear positive stories xxx

Wow how far along are you? Dr's here won't even do the strep b screen until 36 weeks unless they have reason to suspect you'd be going into premature labor.

I don't know if you are at all interested in any of this, but I had group B strep last time. And I have since learned it is possible to get rid of it. I have been taking steps this time to avoid it. I figure even if I don't have it, I can do what I can to keep it away. Or, of course, just get rid of it. It is a bacteria in your digestive system. And other good bacterias can kill it off.

This is a great website with several different ways to rid yourself of group B strep. Personally, I just feel it's worth a try. There are a lot of people who report to successfully having gotten rid of it.
https://wellnessmama.com/8680/avoid-gbs/

This time, I am eating yogurt daily, taking vitamin C, taking a garlic tablet (the unscented kind), and taking a probiotic.

I don't know if you are at all interested in any of this, but I had group B strep last time. And I have since learned it is possible to get rid of it. I have been taking steps this time to avoid it. I figure even if I don't have it, I can do what I can to keep it away. Or, of course, just get rid of it. It is a bacteria in your digestive system. And other good bacterias can kill it off.

This is a great website with several different ways to rid yourself of group B strep. Personally, I just feel it's worth a try. There are a lot of people who report to successfully having gotten rid of it.
https://wellnessmama.com/8680/avoid-gbs/

This time, I am eating yogurt daily, taking vitamin C, taking a garlic tablet (the unscented kind), and taking a probiotic.

Thanks for this, as far as I know I won't be retested but I'm going to request it at 35 weeks to see if it's there or not for the birth. At least then I know how high the risk is xx

Wow how far along are you? Dr's here won't even do the strep b screen until 36 weeks unless they have reason to suspect you'd be going into premature labor.

I'm 9+5, had the test at 8 weeks. I'm under the Liverpool womens (not my local hospital but my preferred choice as it is fantastic) I think they have recently changed their booking in policy to include this screening xx

Do your research and decide what approach you want to take.

I am still going for my home water birth, will only be going hosp/accepting antibiotics in certain situations.

I was GBS+ with my first. Did a private test at 37 weeks as they don't routinely test where I am but I wanted to know as one of my siblings almost died at birth from it.

I don't know if they will test me again this time round or just assume I am positive again after last time?

I'm sure you can still have a water birth and just get out of the pool for the antibiotics.

I have it. I needed antibiotics during labour and want allowed a home birth. Didn't effect anything else. I'm sad that I won't get a home birth but I'm glad that my baby will be taken care of. I think you have to look at the positive side of things where you can it's not that bad, just some is antibiotics!

I am really surprised they test so early. Here 36 weeks is standard. I read research today that said that if you have a negative test, there is a 95-98% chance you will still be clear in 5 weeks...how does that translate to testing in booking? Maybe they have some new research...

I know this thread is a mont old, but just in case you're still checking or it is useful to anyone else, I thought I'd comment! I tested Strep B+ with my 2nd LO and was soooo upset as I really wanted a water birth. In the leaflet my hospital gave me it said water births weren't possible. After researching and hearing from a lady I know who delivered at my hospital I found that it is possible to have a water birth, it just has to be OK'ed by a consultant. I booked an appointment and was OK'ed for a water birth in 5 minutes! It just had to be on L&D as they don't do IV's on the MLU. I got my water birth and it was great :). I just had to keep my hand out of the water which wasn't a problem.

Gosh I can't imagine being tested so early on in the pregnancy! More than 50% of the populatrion is a carrier for GBS and its not always present, it comes and goes. Even testing at 36/37 weeks which is standard in most places is no indication of whether it will be present at birth or not.
I was tested early at 27 weeks and it came back positive and unfortunately wasn't abke to convince them to retest later, but they did tell me that testing positive in that pregnancy would have no hearing on future pregnancies. So really, to be most accurate it should really be tested as close to birth as possible.

Also, strep B does not contraindicate a watebirth at all. As has been said above, its possible to still have antibiotics administered intravenously in water. You also do not have to have the antibiotics administered either.
Here is the research on GBS, you can read it and come to your own decision. Most people opt for the anribiotics as they either dont know they have a choice or prefer to treat prophylactically, but many others choose to take a wait and see approach and treat only if necessary. The choice is yours :)
https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->